So Tired Of PUNK!!

Discussion in 'Music' started by thelonious beck, Jun 7, 2004.

1. thelonious beck

thelonious beck Member

Everyone and there mom listens to punk. Im Tired of it's Repeditive power chords......WHOS WITH ME!!!?

2. Alexandria

Alexandria Member

What you are hearing is NOT...repeat....is NOT punk! It is pop music marketed as punk. Punk music is not something you will see on TRL or mtv at all for that matter. It is true music about politics and social order.Raw and unproduced. Funny how the corporations even manipulate punk to make them a buck (hot topic, etc).
    How ironic, since that is the very thing that punk despises! Yes, I am really sick of the avril lavignes and yellow cards of the world....and whats worse are all the little kids following these trends...hey, welcome to the machine,right?

3. YogaOfLove

YogaOfLove Member

alexandria you stole my thoughts, real punk is good, its fun, its upbeat, but radio punk(which has started to invade some of the punk bands i listened to when i first heard of punk a few years ago.) is just these sqeaky voices singing shit for money, talking about rebelling and shit, but what do they know? you dont see them rebelling, they just take their pay and do what their told....bastards:mad:

4. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

Mass produced, image focused, children who want there 15 minutes. When this fad dyes away no ones gonna remeber Good Charollette, or Yellowcard... Tired of Power Cords? Listen to some Dead Kennedys or Anit-Flag. Its not hard to find punk music thats not power chord fueled.

5. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

Hey yeah... You know how Avril Lavine is always talking about "damn athority" and all that rubbish... but has not denied a single promotion event on MTV. I dont recall her touring the underground scene for year and years before she was discovered. She was a Canadaian singer. A recording company took her, dressed her and told her what to sing. Its like that for a lot of those bands.

6. themakerofmonkeys

themakerofmonkeys Member

yea, the "new punk" scene is a load of bull thats pretty annoying.

7. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

Alot of punk is like that. Power cords and root chasers are killing what's left of a once-exceptable genre.

8. pomunus

pomunus Member

My mom doesn't listen to punk. Not by choice anyways. Sorry, I'm not with you on this one.

9. Butters

Butters Senior Member

If I even hear the words Simple Plan one more time, I think I'm going to hurl. I love rock, but this radio punk crap is getting old, really fast.

10. JOsie

JOsie Member

i'll tell you what i'm tired of...people complaining about avril fucking lavigne every 5 minutes...if you don't like it don't listen to it...

if "real" punk has taught anything it's that *anyone* can change the way things are...if you don't like it...change it...write your own songs...release them yourself...start your own record label...if you are just going to bitch about how shitty it is and not do anything about it then you don't deserve to be heard...

change it or shut up

also...the point of punk was to upset and annoy the status quo...to fuck with people and scare them...so going by those standards avril lavigne and good charlotte and all that bollocks *are* punk...everyone's upset by them and offended by the shittiness of it...the original rise of punk was people jumping on a bandwagon that would get them noticed...it might be something that they were more attuned to or felt a part of...but it was still a matter of "this is cool...we could make money"...just because you don't get it doesn't make it shit tho...

11. Butters

Butters Senior Member

Its not that I don't get it, its just that the whole point of their existance, as you said, to "upset and annoy the status quo", has fallen apart because there are SO MANY of them, and they all sound exactly the same. Playing the same chords over and over and over isn't talent, heck, I could do that and I don't play guitar. If you wanted to upset the status quo, play something totally different that sounds like nothing else out there. I'm not being mean, or trying to piss you off, I'm just defending my point. The rock bands I listen to are different, and play difficult music that requires extreme talent to do. Besides, music is supposed to make you happy, there is too much music out there about how pissed off someone is, or sadness, and all that crap. In these troubled times, people don't need that. People need music that brings them joy and excitement of life. Just my two cents here.

12. Green_Apple

Green_Apple Member

hahahaha!:D i laughed sooo hard when i read that! yea i know im retarded ... ill go away now.

13. JOsie

JOsie Member

but by defending your point you're proving my point...in the late 70's and early 80's you couldn't move for punks...and then goths and new romantics...the number of punk bands there were then that not even the people who were in the band can remember the names of was in the hundreds...everyone was doing the same thing...and so the good stuff stood out and was remembered...the number of people ripping off the buzzcocks and the sex pistols was quite frankly laughable...and when someone did come along and sound different they were remembered for it...even if they weren't accepted at the time...

right now there are so many bands that no-one will remember in 20 years...yellowcard, a simple plan, there are i'm sure hundreds of bands with similar names and even more similar songs...and they will all be lost and forgotten about in 20 years...hell...maybe even in 5 years...but the good stuff will stick...

and by annoying you...and giving kids something to rebel against (their parents and indeed anyone with an ounce of musical taste telling them that the music they like is shit) they are providing a service...they are being punk in the only way they know how...being irritating and asinine and calling it talent...

they're just a flavour of the week...but everyone complaining about them is giving them more of a chance to survive...as long as it's not cool people will embrace it imagining that they are somehow cooler than the rest of us...if we stop wasting our time complaining about shit music and try and change it ourselves instead of just whining then we might get somewhere...