So proud

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by KozmicBlue, Jun 4, 2013.

1. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

My daughter started a martial arts class last month, it's a mix of karate and jiu jitsu as well as gymnastics. Anyhow, today she earned her first stripe on her white belt. :D I'm so proud of her. :D And afterwards she told me she is going to be a ninja when she grows up. Awesome.

Anyhow, share your latest proud moment.

2. Lodog

Lodog ¿

I know karate, Aikido, Capoeira, Judo, Kung Fu, Taekwondo, and many other Foreign words. :)

3. acuarela

acuarela Member

That's awesome. I wanted to be a ninja too. I want Sophia to take some martial art classes too, I think she'll like it.

4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Congratulations!

Both of my sons earned black belts in Tae Kwando with a mixture of Hapkido thrown in. They both were also involved in amateur wrestling. It took a couple years and a fair amount of work and money.

Just watch out for money grabbing "masters" and worthless techniques.
    For my money amateur wrestling was way cheaper and involved much more useful training applicable to "real world" self defense.

Karate and jiu jitsu sound like a very nice mix and I hope she does well.

5. FlyingFly

FlyingFly Dickens

^ I have green belt in Tea Kwando

6. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

[​IMG]

:D

7. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

That's cool, my career of choice as a kid was always something boring like a princess. :rolleyes: How old is Sophia? Maya turned 3 in April. They look so adorable in their gis as well when they're so little, haha.

8. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

good stuff !

the best thing about martial arts for kids, (and sports, dancing, etc) isn't apparent until later in life.
    forget what all the "professionals" say about child-rearing. if you can manage to focus on physical skills like martial arts, gymnastics or sports, mix in some music education (formal, not just playing your beatles records for them lol) you help them develop cognitive and muscle-motor skills at the age when all of that is being strengthened and cemented in our being.
    if they do good with traditional studies, all the better. :)

feeling proud of your kid is a great feeling, isn't it?

right on Bro.

my proudest moment (for an accomplishment) was when my kid texted me a picture of letter inviting her to join the Phi Theta Kappa honor society because her grades are so good.
    made me cry :)

9. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

Thanks. :D That's cool about your sons. Are they still training? Maya's sensei tells the kids sometimes that black belt is just a white belt who never gave up, Maya keeps repeating it to us so I'm hoping one day she will be there too. But we shall see, at this point she also wants to do ice skating, ballet, fishing, bird training (?), be a fairy or a cat among many other things.. and that changes daily. :p

10. acuarela

acuarela Member

I wanted to be a bunch of random things, a ninja, a spy and a witch were my main things. I was never into the princess stuff.

Sophia saw her brother in his class and she seemed to be really into it. I also think it's very empowering for girls to know how to defend themselves from a very young age and I like the discipline that martial arts teach, along with the spiritual aspect of it. There's a few places around the house, but the closest is the YMCA, I forget if they teach Karate or Tae Kwan Do there.

And Sophia just turned 4 in May. I attached a picture of her on her Birthday. She was obsessed with this Kangaroo at one of those moon bounce places.

11. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

I can spell my name correctly

backwards even if i think about it hard