So Is It Transsexual Or Transgender?

Discussion in 'Transexual and Transgender' started by Jimbee68, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I just know when I was still in high school about 30 years ago, the preferred term was "transsexual". Made sense, because these were the conservative 80's, with Pres. Reagan, and most of the country against gay rights. But it wasn't gay rights, this term asserts. It was just a disease, with an operation to cure it.

Now, the preferred term has become "transgender". I guess this term is a little more accurate. After all, you can't change your sex without changing you DNA, organs too, for that matter. But it does take away that finality, I think, that "transsexual" seems to imply.

So which is more accurate? And I have to ask the tranny community: Which term do you prefer? And why?

:daisy: :daisy: :daisy:

2. TVRachel

TVRachel Supporter HipForums Supporter

Jim, labels are a minefield. You'll never get everybody to agree what they mean. To me Transgendered covers everybody from those who just dress in the other gender's clothes to those who go the whole way and have the operation. Transexual in my view is anybody who lives full time in the opposite gender. I don't know why I think that; I just do. Many will disagree with me, even some of my friends do :)
    Rachel