Snow makes existing seem slightly more beautiful.

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by telephone, Jan 20, 2009.

1. lilbear

lilbear Don't prick a raw paw!

I was that way the first time I saw the ocean,but I am a crybaby anyways...

2. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

Have you ever tried walking in snow in the moonlight? It's so beautiful. The crystals sparkle.

3. Autentique

Autentique wonderfabulastic

So am I.

It feels good to cry over beautiful things.

It's funny that you mention that, because I grew up knowing the ocean, but I saw snow for the first time only 3 years ago, but I was kinda desensitized at the time, it was only last winter that I got to cry over it.

4. Autentique

Autentique wonderfabulastic

Of course.

Sparkly snow, actually sparkly everything is my favorite.

5. telephone

telephone weird

Oh yeah. I'm gonna go take a walk in the moonlit snow in a few minutes(and freeze my ass off). Thanks for that idea. :)

6. redyelruc

redyelruc The Yard Man

There's nothing like a snowy beach on a moonlit night.

7. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

True I've done it many times myself, but dress warm if you live on the right coast because the wind off the icy atlantic can cut through you like a knife :eek:

Hotwater

8. Face Eater

Face Eater Banned

I've never lived anywhere cold enough for it to snow near the sea :(

9. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

This time of the year the ocean temp is about 37 F to 38 F

Hotwater

10. redyelruc

redyelruc The Yard Man

Aren't you originally from Newcastle or somewhere?

It's fucking freezing there.

11. redyelruc

redyelruc The Yard Man

Yep. I've been on the other side of the pond and had the same wind peel the skin from my bones. Still, snow and waves in moonlight is the stuff of dreams.

12. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

That really does sound magical.:)

13. saraloristevie

saraloristevie Member

ecember 8 - 6:00 PM
    It started to snow. The first snow of the season and the wife and I took our cocktails and sat for hours by the window watching the huge soft flakes drift down from heaven. It looked like a Grandma Moses Print. So romantic we felt like newlyweds again. I love snow!
    December 9:
    We woke to a beautiful blanket of crystal white snow covering every inch of the landscape. What a fantastic sight! Can there be a more lovely place in the whole world? Moving here was the best idea I've ever had! Shoveled for the first time in years and felt like a boy again. I did both our driveway and the sidewalks. This afternoont he snowplow came along and covered up the sidewalks and closed in the driveway, so I got to shovel again. What a perfect life!
    December 12:
    The sun has melted all our lovely snow. Such a disappointment! My neighbor tells me not to worry- we'll definitely have a white Christmas. No snow on Christmas would be awful! Bob says we'll haveso much snow by the end of winter, that I'll never want to see snow again. I don't think that's possible. Bob is such a nice man, I'm glad he's our neighbor.
    December 14:
    Snow, lovely snow! 8 inches last night. The temperature dropped to-20. The cold makes everything sparkle so. The wind took my breathaway, but I warmed up by shoveling the driveway and sidewalks. This is the life! The snowplow came back this afternoon and buried everything again. I didn't realize I would have to do quite this much shoveling, but I'll certainly get back in shape this way. Iwish l wouldn't huff and puff so.
    December 15:
    20 inches forecast. Sold my van and bought a 4x4 Blazer. Bought snow tires for the wife's car and 2 extra shovels. Stocked the freezer. The wife wants a wood stove in case the electricity goes out. I think that's silly. We aren't in Alaska, after all.
    December 16:
    Ice storm this morning. Fell on my butt on the ice in the driveway putting down salt. Hurt like hell. The wife laughed for an hour,which I think was very cruel.
    December 17:
    Still way below freezing. Roads are too icy to go anywhere. Electricity was off for 5 hours. I had to pile the blankets on to stay warm. Nothing to do but stare at the wife and try not to irritate her. Guess I should've bought a wood stove, but won't admit it to her. God I hate it when she's right. I can't believeI'm freezing to death in my own living room.
    December 20:
    Electricity's back on, but had another 14 inches of the damn stuff last night. More shoveling! Took all day. The damn snowplow came bytwice. Tried to find a neighbor kid to shovel, but they saidthey're too busy playing hockey. I think they're lying. Called theonly hardware store around to see about buying a snow blower and they're out. Might have another shipment in March. I think they're lying. Bob says I have to shovel or the city will have it done and bill me. I think he's lying.
    December 22
    Bob was right about a white Christmas because 13 more inches of thewhite sh*t fell today, and it's so cold, it probably won't melt till August. Took me 45 minutes to get all dressed up to go out to shovel and then I had to piss. By the time I got undressed, pissed and dressed again. I was too tired to shovel. Tried to hire Bob who has a plow on his truck for the rest of the winter, but he says he's too busy. I think the *sshole is lying.
    December 23:
    Only 2 inches of snow today. And it warmed up to 0. The wife wanted me to decorate the front of the house this morning. What is she,nuts?!! Why didn't she tell me to do that a month ago? She says she did but I think she's lying.
    December 24:
    6 inches - Snow packed so hard by snowplow, l broke the shovel. Thought I was having a heart attack. If I ever catch the son of abitch who drives that snow plow, I'll drag him through the snow byhis balls and beat him to death with my broken shovel. I know he hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shoveling andthen he comes down the street at a 100 miles an hour and throws snow all over where I've just been! Tonight the wife wanted me to sing Christmas carols with her and open our presents, but I was too busy watching for the damn snowplow.
    December 25:
    Merry f---ing Christmas! 20 more inches of the damn slop tonight -Snowed in. The idea of shoveling makes my blood boil. God, I hate the snow! Then the snowplow driver came by asking for a donation and I hit him over the head with my shovel. The wife says I have a bad attitude. I think she's a fricking idiot. If I have to watch"It's A Wonderful Life" one more time, I'm going to stuff her into the microwave.
    December 26:
    Still snowed in. Why the hell did I ever move here? It was all HERidea. She's really getting on my nerves.
    December 27
    Temperature dropped to -30 and the pipes froze; plumber came after14 hours of waiting for him, he only charged me $1,400 to replaceall my pipes.
    December 28:
    Warmed up to above -20. Still snowed in. The BITCH is driving me crazy!!!
    December 29:
    10 more inches. Bob says I have to shovel the roof or it could cave in. That's the silliest thing I ever heard. How dumb does he think I am?
    December 30:
    Roof caved in. I beat up the snow plow driver, and now he is suing me for millions of dollars, not only the beating I gave him, but also for trying to shove the broken snow shovel up his ass. The wife went home to her mother. Nine more inches predicted.
    December 31:
    I set fire to what's left of the house. No more shoveling.
    January 8:
    Feel so good. I just love those little white pills they keep giving me. Why am I tied to the bed?
    :)

14. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

Lol....:D. Agree. It can be a pain in the ass too. Nice story.

15. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

I grew up in the seasons of Colorado. I love nature, but I am not real big on cold (though I can remember deciding that I need to always be in the cold to live well, on a hot night when I was 4-years old). I have always loved the beauty of winter---but I never realized how important it was to me until I had lived without it for many years.

In college I moved to Japan. On the Eastern side of Japan, there isn't much snow, just cold. I lived in Osaka, and spent a lot of time visiting Kyoto, which is actually nestled (except for the south side) within the mountains of the Kansai region. The Kyoto autumns were beautiful, and there was certainly a fair share of winter beauty there as well.

As I got older, still living in Japan, I moved to Tokyo. The 1980's were a fast paced adventre for Tokyo, and I began to lose a sense of the seasons---it was either hot and muggy, or cold and damp, with a very wet rainy season somewhere in between. That was it in Tokyo, unless I glanced out at Mt Fuji, every now and then to see what it was doing.

I met my second wife, and she couldn't stand the cold, so the next thing I knew, we were spending the winter months in the tropics---I missed the snow, especially at Christmas time. A Philippine Christmas with a white painted stick for a Christmas tree just aint the same as a Colorado Christmas.

What I didn't realize about this period is that along with the winters, I had lost that search for meaning that had meant so much for me all my life. An adventure of philosophy, spirituality, my quest back to the garden---had all been replaced by a struggle for power and money.

My hair was shorter--but never as short as a businessman's cut. But short enough to make a hippy look professional in a 3-piece suit, and a jet-setter in the Miami Vice get-up I wore the rest of the time. I did achieve a lot of succcess---probably too quickly to appreciate. At the peak I was getting 3 hours of sleep a night as I worked hard all day and partied hard all night, and money flowed through my fingers like money did back in the '80's. But then the hubris set in...

My last hurrah was my prediction of the crash of the Tokyo market the beginning of 1990. I wasn't the only one to see it coming---but I was the only one who didn't get caught in the buying frenzy at the end.

Until about '96 I tried to regain that peak. A coup attempt in the Philippines helped secure my fate that I would not get too far in Asia. We did have a business that made a lot of money at first. Some of the fastest ways to make money I stopped doing when I found out that it was not as ethical as I had been lead to believe. There was a point when my wife and I found ourselves at a bottom, struggling each day just to put food on the table.

And then in the summer of '96 we made our way back here. The first fall that came around in Colorado, I watched the leaves turn and fall. All of a sudden I had this strong urge to write haiku---something I hadn't done for over 10 years. Haiku embodies a nature based spirituality, and gives one a glimpse underneath that veil just beyond reality. Suddenly I was thinking about things I hadn't thought about for years---about the meaning of life, and reality. That first Colorado snowfall for me in over a decade---and my parents had taken us up to Breckenridge. It was a very philosophical point in my life. I spent a lot of time hiking alone in the snow, experiencing the beauty, composing haiku, and once again finding that exciting thirst for the search for meaning---to find my spiritual home.

I learned that I need the yellowed leaves of Fall, and I need the Winter's snow, perhaps even more than I need the beauty of Spring and the warmth and life of summer. Don't get me wrong---I would do anything for a beach at the edge of a tropical island jungle. But for some reason, it is here in the fall and the winter that I gain the meaning to my life.

Great thread---I just had to share this!

16. raz5

raz5 زینب

last week we got a good amount of snow, the most we got all winter and i was so happy. my friend and i ate some mushrooms and went on an adventure, i swore i was in narnia.

17. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

Ohhh---just read that piece by Saraloristevie-----great piece---I can relate to that. That's why I'll take a Colorado winter over a Minnesota one---we had several days in the 70's a week or two ago.

If I grew up in the Minnesotta winters, I would probably still be in the Philippines today!