Smashing Pumpkins

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by SeveredNebula223, May 13, 2004.

1. Cirrhosis

Cirrhosis Banned

"LMAO! Wow you are a geek, arent you? well maybe if you paid attention to my original post, rather then jumping all over me like a lesbian, you would have realized i said "if you just heard the first album, you might pass it by saying its another nirvana rip-off", notice the word "MIGHT", i didnt say that's what i thought, i said you MIGHT think that. hey man i love the pumpkins, (alittle less now, that i see they attract weirdos like you, but i still love em) and i NEVER said they ripped off nirvana."

"he blended 60s garage, 80s thrash, and 70s rock, not to mention the way he doubled the bass line with the vocals, he created the grunge sound that the smashing pumpkins, alice in chains, pearl jam, sonic youth, and so many other bands of the time copied." No, you never said that. Sorry for the false accusation. And I'd rather be a geek and know what the hell I'm talking about than shoot my mouth off at every opportunity.

"oh, and nirvana's album "bleach", although nowhere near as succesfull as "nevermind", was a substantial release, just because its not on the top ten, doesnt mean it doesnt reach and enfluence poeple and bands"

Even so, Smashing Pumpkins formed in 1988. Nirvana released Bleach in '89.

2. VanAstral

VanAstral Member

kurt, billy? dah... they ain't no Eric Burdon.

3. feministhippy

feministhippy Member

The Smashing Pumpkins are by far my favorite band. I owe those people my life. They really kept me sane in middle school. I almost lost it when they broke up. At least I still have their CDs.

I always felt so close to them. It was like Billy Corgan can read my mind or something. It's amazing.

4. Fizzyliftingdrink

Fizzyliftingdrink Member

That's cool! I like to hear things like that about music, it's so important to people.
    I feel the opposite about Smashing Pumpkins however. I used to like them when I was younger, then when I got into highschool, I stopped listening to them so much, and after highschool, I stopped all together. A couple of months ago I was working in the dark room at my University, and there was a Siamese Dream tape in there, so I put it on. I found myself getting depressed! It put me in such a meloncoly (coincidence?) mood, no wonder I was depressed all the time when I was younger!! (That's an exaggeration) Anways, I had to turn off the Smashing Pumpkins and I put on the Squirrel Nut Zippers, which put me in a better mood.
    Anyways, I just wanted to tell that story, because The Smashing Pumpkins obviously make excellent, emotional music if it put me in a funk right then and there! Defintely a good band, but not a band I can listen to very often.

5. Cirrhosis

Cirrhosis Banned

Favorite song?

6. feministhippy

feministhippy Member

Hmmm... My favorite song changes a lot. I really love Galapagos. And Luna. And The Everlasting Gaze. And Thru The Eyes of Ruby. And Real Love. And Eye of the Mourning. And XYU. And- well, I like a lot of them, let's just put it that way. :)

7. Harmony_rain

Harmony_rain Keeper of the Stars

I totally agree with you on that whole thing. When I was in middle school life sucked and Billy helped me feel alot better. I always felt more alive listening to his words. I have been a huge fan since Siamese Dreams though I still am yet to purchase the first album they made. I accually managed to collect all the albums including the box set, "the Aueroplane flies high" I've only played it once. I try to keep it in its mint condition. Siamese dreams and Adore are my two fav albums by them, both albums were there in two very hard times in my life.
    Soo many times I wanted to see them in consert but I never got the chance. It saddens me that I never got to see them perform live. My mom is the same way about Led Zepplin.

8. Cirrhosis

Cirrhosis Banned

I'll try to name my favorites. Or, no, I'll name my favorite(s) from each album.

Gish: Snail, Rhinoceros, Bury Me, Suffer, Daydream
    Siamese Dream: The entire fucking album
    Pisces Iscariot: Soothe, Starla
    MCIS: Dawn to Dusk: Jellybelly, Love, Muzzle
    MCIS: Twilight to Starlight: Bodies, Stumbleine, XYU, Thru The Eyes of Ruby, Thirty-Three
    Adore: Ava Adore, The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete
    Machina: The Machines of God: The Everlasting Gaze, Stand Inside Your Love (Acoustic Version), Glass and the Ghost Children
    Machina II: Friends and Enemies of Modern Music: Once again, the entire thing

And, some wild-cards: Mouths of Babes, Vanilla, Jupiter's Lament, Spiteface, Jackboot, Offer Up, There It Goes, Blissed and Gone, Moleasskiss, and many, many others. I could go on for hours, and name more rarities than I would know what to do with...

But I'll spare you of that, as I'm sure you get the picture.

9. Cornflakes

Cornflakes Member

Drugs and Smashing Pumkins...??? Some how they don't seem to mix

10. water_dreamer

water_dreamer I

I can't believe you just listened to the CD, smashing pumpkins are one of my favorite bands