Smashing Pumpkins

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by SeveredNebula223, May 13, 2004.

1. SeveredNebula223

SeveredNebula223 Member

Wow.

Ive had a cd of theirs that my friend burned for me 4 years ago and I never listened to it until today. They are pretty damn good. They sound like they did alot of musical experimentation, and they have a pretty broad style.

Does anyone know if their music was influenced by drugs? It sounds like it is. It would be cool if it wasnt though; like if it came from a clean human mind.

2. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

it wouldnt surprise me if it was.

3. random_spontaneosity

random_spontaneosity Member

i love the smashing pumpkins, i have so much stuff by them. i love em i love em i love em.

but i owuldnt know if they were influenced by drugs. i dont think so, but billy corgan was one of those quiet, kind of thoughtful kids in school who spent a lot of time alone or something, read it somewhere a long time ago.

but they are amazing.

and meloncollie and the infinite sadness has some beautiful tracks on it. lovely.

but machina has to be the best album i have.

i love them

4. Cirrhosis

Cirrhosis Banned

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

They didn't come from the Seattle grunge movement. They first played, as a full band, on October 5, 1988 at the Metro in Chicago. Far from Seattle, and far before the grunge movement.

To think Gish is a Nirvana rip-off, you would have to be deaf, stupid, or both. For starters, Gish came out months before Nevermind (meaning Nirvana wasn't popular anywhere east of the Rockys). Second of all, Smashing Pumpkins were, at the time, prog-rock/metal and Nirvana was punk.

Billy, along with the rest of the band, have dipped into drugs. Billy was, in the Pumpkins' first half (1988-1992 or 1993), doing loads of LSD. D'Arcy was doing tons of crack/cocaine (and was arrested for it in the late 90s). Jimmy survived an overdose on heroin in 1994 and was kicked out of the band (he would eventually be allowed to re-join). Drugs played a major part in Smashing Pumpkins, but thankfully, it didn't completely tear them apart.

Edit: I still can't believe you honestly think Gish is similar to Nirvana. Have you even listened to Gish? You know there are several things that make it obvious that Smashing Pumpkins are nothing like Nirvana. First, there's the fact that, musically, Billy Corgan is so far above Kurt Cobain, it's almost embarassing for Cobain. Then, there's the fact that the two are influenced by two completely seperate genres. Finally, the fact that Corgan, when put next to Cobain, can actually sing and write coherent lyrics. Now, I don't mean to deify Smashing Pumpkins or Billy Corgan, but when compared to Nirvana and Kurt Cobain, it's kind of hard not to.

Any more false assumptions on which I can correct you (not to mention another opportunity to slap you on the face)?

5. Cirrhosis

Cirrhosis Banned

Which CD? If it's anything from 1988 to the Mellon Collie era, LSD is most likely an influence. But also keep in mind it could just be a result of Corgan's chosen musical influences, most of which come from the acid rock era.

6. random_spontaneosity

random_spontaneosity Member

haha, i love you dude.

7. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

all i know is smashing pumpkins rock.

so do nirvana.

8. Cirrhosis

Cirrhosis Banned

"WHO THE HELL ARE YOU ANYWAY? WHAT MAKES YOU THINK YOU CAN JUST WALTZ IN HERE AND PUT SOMEONE DOWN LIKE THAT?"

Who am I? I'm a Smashing Pumpkins geek, and I do get a bit angry when people spew out false assumptions. And what makes me think I can waltz in here and put you down? The simple fact that I can. Jeez, it's not like you're going to kill yourself because I was a little rough when correcting you.

"and to say they werent from the early nineties slacker movement would be retarted, listen to "shiva", that could have been a nirvana song."

First of all, it's "Siva". Second of all, I never said they weren't in the early 90s alt. movement. I said they're nothing like Nirvana. Third of all, I didn't know Kurt Cobain was capable of writing epic rock songs that can span eight to seventeen minutes long (longer, if live). Hm, good to know.

"ok, first off, lets establish what nirvana did, kurt cobain created the popular rock sound that is still being used today. he blended 60s garage, 80s thrash, and 70s rock, not to mention the way he doubled the bass line with the vocals, he created the grunge sound that the smashing pumpkins, alice in chains, pearl jam, sonic youth, and so many other bands of the time copied."

Right...let's just forget the fact that Smashing Pumpkins formed and played gigs before Nirvana even put out an album. Yeah, wow, they sure did rip them off, but it's quite imprssive, considering Billy Corgan knew who they were before anyone else did. Wow, Billy is talented! And Smashing Pumpkins have no punk influences (meaning they're nothing like Nirvana, who have only punk, and a couple acid rock/indie influences). Smashing Pumpkins and Billy Corgan's influences are, but not limited to: Black Sabbath, David Bowie, Pink Floyd, Queen, Rush, Depeche Mode, The Cure, Styx, Thin Lizzy, etc., etc., etc.

"at the surface the pumpkins might sound different from nirvana, but if you brake the sound down, its the same formula. quiet verse, raging distorted chorus, quiet verse, distorted chorus, bridge, double chorus. listen to "bullet with butterfly wings", when billy says "the world is a vampire" he even tries to have that slight southern accent that was popular of the time."

Yep, I'm sure we can a proper judgement of all of their songs from the over-produced singles. Yep, yep, yep. Hey, ever notice how all songs are like that? Verse, build-up, intense chorus, verse, build-up, intense chorus? It's called song-writing, and that's how it's done. Oh, and to say all of the Pumpkins songs are verse-chrous-verse is plain ignorant. Hell, there are many songs that don't even have a recognizable verse and chorus. Just a faint pattern that holds it all together. (See: Starla; an epic 11-minute long song.) But you wouldn't know that, seeing as you seem to have judged by Rotten Apples.

"you dont have to like kurt cobain, but to ignore what he did for modern music, maybe you're the one thats deaf, stupid, or both"

Alright, I did make the mistake of being too harsh on Kurt Cobain, and I apologize. I do appreciate him and his music.

Please don't argue facts, like the fact that Smashing Pumpkins were established far before Dave Grohl moved away from Northern Virginia for Seattle and far before Nirvana put an ounce of influence on anyone.

9. SeveredNebula223

SeveredNebula223 Member

What cd do I actually have? Now that is a good question. My friend burned it for me 4 years ago but the only title is "Smashing Pumpkins". Maybe you can help me find out which one it is.

It is 14 songs long. In the second song, its starts off with a staticky noise, like someone spinning a record. The chorus (and Im assuming the name of the song) is "Love is suicide".

In the last song, the chorus starts off with "Good night, my love, to every hour of every day".

If you find out which one it is, could you give me a time period of when it was made, and if they have better stuff? Maybe some suggested listening?

10. Cirrhosis

Cirrhosis Banned

That is Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness:Twilight to Starlight. Unfortunately, you have only have the second half of the 28-track, over two hour long masterpiece, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.

The track listing is this:

1. Where Boys Fear To Tread
    2. Bodies
    3. Thirty-Three
    4. In The Arms of Sleep
    5. 1979
    6. Tales of a Scorched Earth
    7. Thru The Eyes of Ruby
    8. Stumbleine
    9. XYU
    10. We Only Come Out At Night
    11. Beautiful
    12. Lily (My One And Only)
    13. By Starlight
    14. Farewell and Goodnight

It was released in 1995. It is the best-selling double-CD album of all time. It went platinum eight times. I serious suggest you find the full album and buy it, as both discs are essential for the full feel of the album. However, MCIS is not their best album; Siamese Dream (1993) is by far their best.

Enjoy your newfound information, and may many years of worshipping Smashing Pumpkins come to you.

ANd to what's-his-face, who thinks he can teach me something about Smashing Pumpkins, I will admit Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins are similar, as all bands were in the early 90s (Oh, wait. No they weren't. Moron). And to say every band in the 90s copied Nirvana is so stupid and ignorant, it's painful to read. Now, I could tell you why Soundgarden, R.E.M., RHCP, etc. weren't heavily influenced by or copied Nirvana, but I'll stick to the subject: SP. Everything I've said before can be thrown out the window, because nof act makes my case better than this one. Almost certainly the sole reason SP and Nirvana never had a single goddamn thing to do with one another is this: Billy Corgan and Kurt Cobain hated eachother. Why? Billy was fucking Courtney Love while she and Kurt were married. And because of this, do you know what were the first words Kurt spoke when he arose from his coma in Roma? To Courtney: "Never fucking speak to Billy Corgan again."

So, there you have it. More proof that you know not of what you speak. Please, do us all a favor, and don't respond.

11. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

Cirrhosis...you are a true Albuquerquean. :) We are quick to correct people. LOL Whether that's good or bad, I do not know. Probably both.

12. Cirrhosis

Cirrhosis Banned

Er...actually, I'm from Indiana. I've only been living here for a year.

But, either way, I'm quick to put fucktards in their place when they shoot their mouths off. Which, lucky for me, is quite often.

I must say, going off on idiots certainly does make me feel better.

13. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

Well then you fit right in here. Though I would have opted for Indiana. I wouldn't wish Albuquerque on my worst enemy.

Anyway, I had a purpose for coming into this thread. Do you know what happened to Jimmy and D'arcy? I know what Billy's gone on to do, but I never kept up with the other two.
    Or I could just do a Google search. But since you're the SP guru, I thought I'd ask you first.

14. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

Sonic Youth is from the 80s as well. Def. didn't copy Nirvana.

15. Cirrhosis

Cirrhosis Banned

Sure, I can tell you what each are doing.

Billy formed a band called Zwan, which I'm sure you know. However, he broke them up. He is now working on a solo album (His comments on said album: "Remember when alternative meant different? That's what this album will bring back.") and reportedly, he is working on a poetry book. He is also occasionally appearing on other bands' albums as a studio musician, popping up at clubs to DJ, or playing a couple concerts with some of his favored bands.

James Iha is currently a guitarist for A Perfect Circle.

Jimmy Chamberlin is reportedly working on a solo album. I believe he can pull this off with success, considering Billy has said many times he was the second best musician in Smashing Pumpkins, Jimmy Chamberlin being the first.

And last I heard about D'Arcy, she was pursuing an acting career. However, I haven't heard anything else, so I'm assuming she's just kickin' back on her farm in upstate New York and doing her best to have nothing to do with fame or (especially) Billy Corgan.

16. Cirrhosis

Cirrhosis Banned

Ooh, yes. I forgot to mention that. Thank you for pointing it out.

Hey, I wonder if he thinks Led Zeppelin and Sex Pistols were influenced by Kurt Cobain as well?

17. Oh So strangE indeeD

Oh So strangE indeeD Member

Ahh the Smashing Pumpkins...been a favorite since the 4th grade. I personally have been quite moved by their music many times.

18. Cirrhosis

Cirrhosis Banned

Ditto. Hell, "Stumbleine" still makes me want to cry.

19. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

haha ...the pumpkins where hilarious on that one simpsons episod

20. Cirrhosis

Cirrhosis Banned

Teeheehee, Homerpalooza!

Yeah, it was great, but they didn't make Jimmy's mullet sweaty and ugly enough.:rolleyes: