smacking the cane the ruler the slipper whomping

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by jonny2mad, Apr 10, 2007.

1. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

Plus those children are children, the adults are adults...there IS a difference...i did things as a child id never do now, i was finding myself and discovering the world...that doesnt mean i should have been beaten

2. mellowthyme

mellowthyme Member

When I read your threads I just can't believe you believe in what you're writing and are just playing devil's advocate. Hitting as a means of discipline will only be counter productive and destroy the ability to develop likeable adults. Kids will begin to understand that although what is played out in the home, and this isn't by any means a class issue, isn't how to handle situations. So, although it is tough for teachers to get through to certain kids the over all culture, that of not hitting will begin to make sense. It's therefore down to people to develop there own ability to relate and maybe show some respect, which is only my opinion and life understanding. Respect, yeah right man, and I can't stop raising my left arm in a forearm fist salute.:bandana:

3. paulfreespirit

paulfreespirit Senior Member

what threads ?posts ?

4. dapablo

dapablo redefining

I understand your concern about the attitude to their elders by some of the young, but to blame the thuggish behaviour of the minority upon the lack of the cane at school I find a trifle simplistic.

The worst behaviour displayed in school will come from those who are beaten at home and not from those raised without violence.

As a society we need to state very clearly that violent behaviour towards others is wrong, how can we tell young men to stop hitting on each other whilst as a group of adults we allow ourselves the right to hit on children ?

5. mellowthyme

mellowthyme Member

Sorry my mistake, it isn't Jonny2mad but John and the 'Youth of today' thread. Take that back, sorry Jonny2mad, wrong John.

6. J0hn

J0hn Phantom

The long drawn debate of smacking kids. I think once parents stopped using the cane and head masters stopped whacking the palms of your hands with a cane dipped in vinegar, that is when society went downhill into a chasm of problems. Now we have Nikki Pollards everywhere. I believe that smacking should be allowed. Instead of demonising parents, we should support them./

7. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

Dont people with your opinions think theres been enough violence? Obviously not. But why i dont know

8. dapablo

dapablo redefining

Point 1 - Society has fallen into a chasm of problems, just go and do a tiny bit of historical research.

Point 2 - Parents are not demonised.

Neither condition can support the use of corporal punishment.

So John reckons letting your old man beat you up will turn you into a kind and considerate person. huh.

9. sentient

sentient Senior Member

You havent been a parent or a teacher, you dont actually have any experience beyond what you think you know. Infact it would be very rare to find a mother that didnt believe some toddlers need a slapped hand now and then, especially to teach them electric plugs and sockets are dangerous etc- a kid dont understand your concern, it understands curiosity and it understands your disapproval. Children soon learn that threatrs not backed up with personal discomfort are basically empty threats. People who dont advocate corporal punishment in schools have misundestood the concept of enforced discipline and have especially not understood how widespread is the bullying of teachers by pupils, and the problem of actually establishing order in the classrooms.

Violence was never actually used that often, The teachers who held the most discipline were those who rigorously applied the rule that infractions of discipline would result in detentions, beatings, or expulsion. in the classroom
    The beatings amounted to a cane being struck across the hand or buttocks between 2 and 6 times (inc) and could only be administered to children who had reached secondary school age. Discipline was kept easily since the vast majority of parents supported its use - if used sparingly.
    There used to be a saying which was, spare the rod and spoil the child

10. mellowthyme

mellowthyme Member

Teachers can become completely indiscriminate with using violence and I know of many incidents where this was so. The Fathers at the catholic school where my some of my mates went were obviously sexually repressed that they got their kicks of out of kicking the kids in school, the only satisfaction from that was that some of the bastards got it back in later life, I suppose some would say an eye for an eye. The upshot is violence begets violence. I understand that there needs to be a serious deterrant to certain situations and to smack is necessary for people to appreciate it hurts but if it is used too much nothing will be constructive until an understanding is known to why a kid is behaving in such a way; and these cases aren't really that commom.

I work with many kids who are kicked out of school, I do recognize that some can be a handfull but overall they do eventually listen and will co-operate if given a little time and space. It also goes that I'm not there to be fucked around with.

11. sentient

sentient Senior Member

I know teachers who have been hit by kids and all the parents do is say, he's out of control - course he's out of fucking control theres no discipline in the homes thats why.
    Personally I just ask - what good is it knowing why they act that way if nobody has the time money or inclination to help?
    Some damned good teachers I know have walked out of the job because there is absolutely nothing they want more than to teach but they became afraid of one or two kids that thought they were hard cases and liked everyone to know it, and the schools can do nothing about it. A friends daughter was being bullied because she is an extremely bright kid - what did they do ??? expelled the fucking victim - its a joke mate ! all this liberalist pansying around has collapsed any hope for discipline within schools

12. dapablo

dapablo redefining

Or maybe there is discipline in the home, he may be out of control precisely because of abuse.
    That is another issue.
    and so we should beat people who don't do as they're told, I'd propose bullies have been and always will be regardless.
    That's obviously a nonsense but again an irrelevance to the cane or not.

Deciding not to abuse another person is not "liberalist pansying"

13. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

No i havent taught. I have worked full time as a nursery nurse for years however
    As for kids having not been beaten that often i have my mothers word, she lived it and she isnt a liar
    Besides which i just do not agree with teachers having that right. End of
    And i did say at the beginning i havent been a parent myself and so respect that i may not know exactly how these things feel for them. My main problem was with those who say this kind of thing should be allowed to go on in schools

14. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

well, there are some times when a swat at the hand is safer than grabbing them to remove them from danger, like when they're heading toward a hot stove. swatting their hand is way more gentle than grabbing them by the arm and possibly wrenching the arm out of the socket in your panic. don't scoff, my dad did that to my little sis. it was so damned sad. he didn't mean to. so i've kept that in mind that sometimes you might be wrenching the little guys too roughly when you're stressed.

but if your kids are pitching a horrible fit in the store, fling yourself to the ground and pitch a louder one. it'll either freak them out or embarass them, and the other people in the store tend to get a huge laugh out of it. if it doesn't work, grab your little offspring of satan and go home.

my siblings and i were spanked quite a bit growing up. i have to say, i liked it way better than any other option. my family (aside from my father, who was not a good father), including my stepfather, is extremely close and loving. we all know it's okay to get mad, screw up, fight and brawl. you'll still be loved when the smoke clears. i think the whole "spanking made me violent or hateful" is a myth. there's too many people in this world who've been swatted who aren't violent or full of rage at their parents. i think there's OTHER factors at work there that have nothing to do with getting your ass spanked on occaision.

15. mynameiskc

oh yeah, and if anyone ever lays a hand on my child, they're going down.

16. ronald Macdonald

ronald Macdonald Banned

I bet you people get some pervy kick out a talking about spanking

17. mynameiskc

i can see you desperately hope so... then you'll have found some compatriots, eh?

18. dapablo

dapablo redefining

Your right, the physical act doesn't cause any real problem, the real problem is the mindset behind allowing oneself to strike a child. If we banned ourself then any issues would need resolution with interaction rather than confrontation.

19. mynameiskc

i just don't believe for even a moment that there is a die-hard, dye-cast perfect parenting available that fits all children. some small children are relentless in their meanness and they come from the NICEST parents and families. my kids, thank god, have benefitted from a simple removal of affection, esteem and temporary exile from the family (ie. time outs, let's call them what they really are.). and if one more person tries to tell me that you can in fact reason with a toddler, i'll probably smack them across the mouth. it's utter bullshit. it just leads to massive frustration and makes parents thing they're lacking in some way when the fact of the matter is that SOME children, for some unknowable reason, CAN be reasoned with. my eldest was the closest i've ever seen of this. my youngest, however, is a machine of grabbing, screaming, climbing and jumping off furniture. she's just like her father. explaining something to her does nothing. you just have to let her see for herself and possibly get a little banged up in the process. so is that the same as me spanking her? letting her hurt herself just a little? i can't wrap her in cottonwool.

i'm rambling, my only point was that ever single child is going to require a different sort of parenting. it's the most frustrating part of being a parent.

20. mellowthyme

mellowthyme Member

This is beginning to encompass kids from the age of two to the age of sixteen. Again, if we cannot get throught to certain kids do we then need to slap them about, I don't know but I do know if that's the case they cannot be treat like adults in the eyes of the law. One things for sure if you go around slapping your work colleagues because they wouldn't do as they were told you'd be arrested and charged with assault.