smacking the cane the ruler the slipper whomping

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by jonny2mad, Apr 10, 2007.

1. jonny2mad

jonny2mad Senior Member

How do you feel about smacking kids do you think it should be illegal in shops, or illegal everywhere , is it ok if not taken to excess and what is excess

what about schools do you think there should be schools where the teachers cane pupils, I think its illegal now although I was caned with a cane a bit like a light walking stick as a child .
    I had the ruler where you either got hit on the behind with a ruler or you had to hold your hand out and they hit you ,oh yes got slippered too with a special carpet slipper that they used to keep to whomp kids with.

as I remember I got caned for things like being late and talking in class maybe eating sweets in class this may seem harsh but you had some mighty quiet alert children

Is it logical not to whomp kids and yet teach them that killing people in wars ok , do you feel we are a weaker bunch for not having been whomped enough generally whats your view

do you think we should punish crime with some whomping maybe the cat of nine tails for vandals or robbers

ps the ruler was wooden also they used to cane you on either your behind or hand it hurt most of the beating was done by ex rugby player who either gave the beatings or these really nice boiled fruit sweets if you were good

2. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

I definitely think corporal punishment should be illegal in schools. People were often brutalised where there were no limits. As for families, I'm in principle against smacking children, but not having had any myself, it would be hard to comment on effective parenting. However you do tend to find general trends in society where children who have been beaten as kids are much more likely to be violent, unruly and anti-social teenagers and adults and this is a real issue to consider....

3. jonny2mad

jonny2mad Senior Member

I dont think being beaten made me violent and whats wrong with unruly and anti-social teenagers dont we have to many sheep wheres the spirit of revolt.
    The army when they recruit people say that modern young people are mentally weaker than say the wartime generation where they got whomped a lot , put them under pressure and they break

what about leaving naughty children out in the snow for a while or taking their shoes away for a month or so

4. dapablo

dapablo redefining

or puncture their ball... :)

5. phoenix_indigo

phoenix_indigo dreadfully real

i don't think any children should be hit or smacked or whomped or anything.

don't let your kids get by with murder, but hell i used to be spanked when i was a kid and it just made me hate my father more. i don't remember a time that i didn't feel like i was only being hit cause they were angry or annoyed with what i had done.

and i'm a firm believer no child should be hit because you are angry. there are other ways you can deal with things.

6. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

Yes I'd say carrots work much better than sticks, and the removal of certain carrots on bad behaviour is a good disciplinary measure....

7. ronald Macdonald

ronald Macdonald Banned

I'd say its undignified to hit them in a shop but givem a good sound arse spanking if they get really out of order. My mom and dad never hit me, except once when I made my sisters hand get cut on a broken bottle when I was about 12,
    I think discipline has completely broken down in schools and the cane should be re-introduced. It did me no harm, they banned it when I was about 12

All these puffy namby pamby libs get on my tits, society is in a crap state of crisis because noone has got any control over these kids. Smacking kids is a very last resort after all other forms of punishment and for times of severe disorder

8. dapablo

dapablo redefining

I'd suggest that the children mentioned as out of control, probably come from families where physical restraint is given in good measure, perhaps if they were raised in an environment where hitting was banned then their parents may of shown them a bit more care and attention (love) and the situation would be different.

I used to believe that smacking was a helpful control measure, after a lot of consideration and reading on the matter I no longer do and have declared the situation as such to my children. They'll still jump if I raise my voice but as with all control measures the less they are used the better use they are.

9. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

^^my thoughts exactly

10. ronald Macdonald

ronald Macdonald Banned

I have thought this over and still think that kids should be smacked if they are old enough to understand what reason they are being smacked for.
    Whimps who say that children shouldnt be smacked are ignoring the facxt that since teaachers lost the right to physically discipline children, society has fallen victim to lawless kids.

11. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

"Wimps"?...People are hardly big and mighty for physically hurting small children with far less experience of the world now, are they?

As for "lawless kids"...you are joking right? My mother used to tel me the most horrific stories of what went on in school when she was little. Shes now 60 years old and still remembers vividly, it traumatised her for quite some time...even when she was about 16, being beaten over the head by people supposedl "teaching" her...
    Much of her generation didnt translate this the way my mum did. She said "i will never be so abusive to others as this". Many people of that generation however grew up believing that stuff was right and therefore hurt others themselves, abusing power, all the rest of it. Children learn by example. The "lawless kids" probably have them as parents or grandparents.
    To me that kind of abuse in inexcusable. That doesnt make me a wimp. It makes me a thougtful person who is not a bully

12. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

Oh, and op...as for teaching children war is ok, i dont agree with that either...therefore my stance on not abusing power with children lies in accord

13. paulfreespirit

paulfreespirit Senior Member

violence begets violence

14. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

Oh, and yeah itd keep children quiet...but thatd be because they FEARED the person "in authority"...this seems a stupid way to teach to me, in any context. If someone feared the crap out of me and i resented them for hurting me, i totally wouldnt listen to what they had to say and take it in

15. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

scared* i mean. It still wont lemme edit

16. paulfreespirit

17. ronald Macdonald

ronald Macdonald Banned

The fact of the matter is that no matter how cool you think it is to be politically correct, there is anyway nothing politically correct about kids abusing teachers and leaving teachers open to see their career as a wrong move. Did you e=realise its only in state schools that corporal punishment is banned.

18. paulfreespirit

meaning ?

19. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

I dont know where i mentioned politics. This isnt about politics, or "looking cool" or meeting anyone elses standards, thank you very much, and it annoys me that you assume it is. Why would you assume that? Infact these thoughts and all my other thoughts about life come after thinking within myself, from the ME of ME, what my inner voice tells me is right or wrong, regardless of whats "cool"...

20. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

I dont know where i mentioned politics. This isnt about politics, or "looking cool" or meeting anyone elses standards, thank you very much, and it annoys me that you assume it is. Why would you assume that? Infact these thoughts and all my other thoughts about life come after thinking within myself, from the ME of ME, what my inner voice tells me is right or wrong, regardless of whats "cool"...

Im sure the other posters here are the same, too

As for children abusing teachers...if that is so it has com from society (ABUSE, for example)...i really doubt small children are inherently evil. But how is lowering yourself in order to cope setting a good example anyway?