Slush Puppies

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by TheJesusDude, Jun 6, 2004.

1. TheJesusDude

TheJesusDude Member

a quick question, and this probabaly goes to more if you in the nortern US but does anyone know if slush Puppies are vegan or not?.:confused:
    i used to love them as a kid when i lived in brooklyn and didnt realize they sold them outside of the big cities untill i saw them in a store around here a few days ago. i was going to get one but i had no idea if they were vagan or not so i was wondering does anyone know for sure?

2. inbloom

inbloom as the crow flies...

what are slush puppies? if they're the same thing as "slushies" or "slurpies" than i'd like to know, too. cuz i'm a slurpie maniac. i don't see what would be so unvegan about crushed ice and syrup, but there's always gotta be something.

3. TheJesusDude

TheJesusDude Member

well there simaler to slurpies.
    there a crushed ice drink that you can get in Rasberry,Strawberry,watermellon,cherry and cola flavors but there more liquid then the 7-11 slurpies so you can drink the whole thing insted of having to "eat" part of it (if your a slurpie head you will know what i mean haha) but these have a lot stronger taste than slurpies, they have a ton of suger and a lot more flavor
    theres more of an inner-city type thing it seems like, or atleast thats what they were when i was a kid
    what i was wondering about was the syrup they used because i have no idea whats in it

4. mamasoul

mamasoul Member

5. cousinit

cousinit Member

damn it, you made me thisty. now i have to walk to the Husky and get a slushy.

6. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Aren't slushies full of sugar? Sugar isn't vegan.

7. DandelionPrincess

DandelionPrincess Member

prob a dumb question, but i'm new to this...sugar isnt vegan? i thought it came from a plant, sugar cane?

8. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

9. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Well in that respect it is, but a lot of sugar is refined using charred animal bone.

Not sure if it's true whee you are but over here if sugar hasn't been refined in that way it is labeled vegetarian.

So yeah slushpuppies; apart from the sugar the red dye may be carmine/cochineal.
    I've no idea though. Had one years ago that made me throw up and now I'm scarred for life.

TTFN
    Sage

10. TheJesusDude

TheJesusDude Member

ok i don't mean to start a debate about sugar, other than that is the syrup in them atleast vegan?

11. minjeig

minjeig Member

"Apparently the bone char method is only used in very gluttonus societies where consumers want snow white sugar"

potentially dumb question time: does that mean that brown sugar is vegan?

12. minjeig

minjeig Member

"No actually it's not a dumb question. Brown sugar in the US is white sugar with molasses added back in (retarded eh?). So no, brown sugar isn't necessarily vegan."

thats kinda dumb... man! there's so many things that you'd think would be vegan...

do you know if flour or salt or anything else refined in the same way?