Slightly Older Music Critics?

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by flowerchild89, Jan 19, 2005.

1. flowerchild89

flowerchild89 Member

This is directed to the teenagers here:
    Those of you that listen to classic rock (and HAVE listened to it, before it became trendy), do slightly older people (usually 20's or early 30's) criticize you? For example, I made a post on the MySpace Music Forum about remembering Janis Joplin's birthday. And first one guy said, "Whatever, she's dead, we shouldn't count birthdays anymore." And then they started this conversation about digging up her corpse or something, which freaked me out a little but not excessively so. Then this girl said, "
    why is it always the 15, 16, 17 yr olds who claim absolute honor and respect for the dead 60's rock singers. i understand the respect but the phase baffles me at times."

And I kind of understand where she's coming from, because a lot of teenagers started listening to classic rock last year, when it became "trendy." But it's still unfair for people to make generalizations about all teens who listen to classic rock. A lot of us, like I (me?), have grown up with it, and probably know more about it than many people who were alive then. I just hate it when people make generalizations about knowledge, music, etc. based on age. I think this is kind of a pointless post, but I'm kind of mad at it and need to rant. It's completely rambling and disjointed and whatnot, but oh well.

Oh, and apparently, classic rock is apperently "going out of style, it's all about the indie/alternative bands now." But unlike many people our age, it's not like I'm going to stop listening to it after 15 years...and I hope at least some of you understood this and/or agree with this pointless-ish post...

2. FemmeFatale

FemmeFatale Member

:D I think our classic rock trend here in Texas came for literally about a month or two and THEN everybody moved on to the indie scene. But I think it's coming back again, because I hear mention of the Who everywhere. Also, Styx and Journey are making a comeback...which is down right creepy if you ask me...It does make me angry, though. The Who is a great band, one that I've been listening to since I was throwing bagels in a highchair. They shouldn't have to be subject to all this cycling about of the fads. Music isn't a fad...

3. rhasta.penguin

rhasta.penguin No more hippy...ugh

Perhaps i just live in a nice place or something, but nearly everyone i know does not gerneralize something that is not "trendy." Infact, i get alot of complements listening to classic rock from people that are slightly older then me, happy that there is still some youth listening to it.

I sort of get what your coming from though, getting critized from others because its not whats "in". Just listen to what you like and dont let the jokers get to ya.

4. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

I hate everything trendy...

Thats what makes me hip. [​IMG]

Theres no point in seeking musical approval from sombody else anyway... if they're in the 30's they listened to that music long after it made too...

Who cares if its a trendy phase or not, listen to it if you like it.

5. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Vegetable Man

Well, I can understand the kind of response you got. I see all sorts of teenagers on here who proclaim that Jimmy Page is the best guitarist ever, along with a lot of other nonsense.

Most teenagers who like classic rock usually only know the basics such as Hendrix, Zeppelin, Janis, Marley, the Beatles, and the Doors. They're turning into a cliche.

The only people who criticize my musical prefernces are people who have horrible taste in music. For example, people like my sister who listen to modern country, hip hop, and bubblegum pop think I have the worst taste in music possible.

However, people who actually know about music never criticize me. If I go into a music store and buy something rare or generally unknown, the teller will usually comment on my selections. I think I've surprised and impressed some music store workers with my selections. Chances are, they probably thought I was in there to buy some emo or something. [​IMG]

Oh well, don't let people get to you. Listen to what you want. However, don't be afraid to broaden your horizons.

6. flowerchild89

flowerchild89 Member

Of course I'm not going to change my music, I've been listening and singing to it since I was born. Well, the second part since I could talk...Speaking of learning to talk, I learned how to say most of my first words from Who and Beatles songs :p It just makes me mad that certain people are so dumb.

7. flowerchild89

flowerchild89 Member

I know exactly what you mean...I started talking to this kid about music and he says, "Oh, I listen to classic rock mostely." We started talking about the Doors and then I started talking about Leadbelly and Emerson Lake and Palmer and he looks at me blankly for a second and says..."Who?"
    And don't worry about me and not broadening horizons, I listen to lots of stuff, classic rock, jazz and blues, folk, reggae, funk...and a few certain indie bands today.

8. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

It would be impossible for me to say who is the best guitarist ever. As for acoustic stuff, Keller Williams and Leo Kottke are great guitarists... Keller can make anything into a song and so can Leo Kottke... I thought LK's collaboration with Mike Gordon and Phish was great.

Neil Young and Bob Dylan are my favorite songwriters for acoustic... well, CSN is pretty good, but they're moreso folk-rock in general, and I really like James Taylor, Michael Hedges and Nich Drake... Iron and Wine... Belle and Sebastian, the usual. Toss in Tommy Emmanuel, etc...

Majorly electric stuff.... so hard to pin down. Stevie Ray Vaughan, an awesome guitarist, but lacks the songwriting skills, really. A lot of his good ones like Life By The Drop... written by Doyle Bramhall. Buddy Guy... he's great and well rounded. Eric Clapton is so good, sometimes, that he gets obnoxious and sometimes boring... but doesn't write much.

I really don't have a favorite out of all... depends on my mood, and often, music can define my mood.

9. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

Just remember, that all those annoying little poser wannabes will stop listening to good music as soon as it becomes untrendy. And then we can have it all to ourselves again. :D

10. sugarmaggie

sugarmaggie ~Green Eyed Devil~

I don't understand that. I started listening to classic rock at a very early age. I can remember when Nirvana hit the scene when I was in high school I was sporting my Grateful Dead t's and catching hell for it. I think it's great you all listen to it. In my opinion, there will never be another era with meaningful music such as then. Keep on rockin' sweetie!! :)

11. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

You can't stop people from listening to what they want to listen to. Honestly, it seems like everyone is somewhat obsessive with Led Zeppelin, around here.

12. blindhobosam

blindhobosam The Legend

well i like classical rock music because i've been brough up with it. my dad always used to play it. is it actually 'trendy'? i know barely anyone else who likes the music, and if it is trendy why shouldn't it be? its a good style of music

13. rainbowkid

rainbowkid Member

Yeah, My favoruite band is Led Zeppelin and everyone goes Yeah 'Black Dog' or something like that abd it's like yeah everyone has heard of Led Zeppelin what about Uriah Heep and Savoy Brown or Gong or Gentle Giant and Focus and Camel the list is endless. I see what you mean.

14. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Evey time you start talking about music I think you'd like this electronic band lamb... really relaxed ambient stuff.

You should check it out... you can probably find it on a p2p.

Just don't get it confused with the metal band lamb of god. [​IMG]

15. flowerchild89

flowerchild89 Member

I can't wait. I even miss being made fun of for my music (I never took them seriously anyway, because they listen to rap and such)...

16. peace6070

peace6070 Member

led zeppelin is one of my fav. bands but i have a lot of other ones to that everyone likes...you just have to learn to deal with those fake fans.eventhough its VERY hard.

17. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

Everyone around here is obsessed with Jet... haha... and Green Day. Pop-punk is taking over, it fucking suuuuuuuuucks...