sleep paralysis.

Discussion in 'Dreams' started by lylelovette, Sep 3, 2013.

1. lylelovette

lylelovette Guest

i've had a sleep paralysis experience twice my whole life. Both of those times i could see my room, and the position i was in was exactly the way i was when i fell asleep.
    both times have been a blur to me but i could still describe the setting and feeling i have, from the time it starts to the moment it ends. The only thing i feel is a weight on my body and i feel as if someone is watching me.

What i'm not really sure of is if i have my eyes open when this happens, since i could see my surroundings. i'm not quite sure if its just a dream but it feels so real.
    Its probably one of the worst experiences of my life, both times i've always been scared of going back to sleep.
    The feeling of a weight on my body, not being able to move and thinking i'm screaming my lungs out but i'm really not ...
    strange.

:alien:

Lucid dreaming on the other hand, i would love to try.

2. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

I've had that happen. Or something similar.. the feeling of being aware that I'm sleeping and dreaming and wanting to move...but feeling the weight of my body- an extreme heaviness.. and not being able to move and it being scary...

(I have heard once that stuff like that happens when we are trying to wake up during a certain part of our sleep cycles that we are not supposed to wake up from...)

3. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

Wow. That's never happened to me. I do talk in my sleep and steal the blankets though. I'm kind of a pain in the ass to share a bed with...

I'd also love to lucid dream, OP.

mommas man likes this.
  4. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

When ever I become aware that I am dreaming I can control them... for me it has something to do with-I would ordinarily be waking up from the dream but I decide instead to stay asleep and inside of it and I just turn it in a certain direction and watch it go... then turn it again, etc...

5. AiryFox

AiryFox Member

It has happened to me a couple of times. Very scary. Luckily, I was actually able to force myself free from the paralysis.

6. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Sleep Paralysis is a normal, natural bodily function that causes our physical bodies to be paralyzed during sleep. Its purpose is to prevent us from hurting ourselves when we’re dreaming. It’s supposed to happen every time we sleep and it usually sets in long before we start dreaming. When it’s not working properly, we have serious problems like sleepwalking where people get hurt. Normally, we are not conscious when sleep paralysis sets in, so most people don’t even know it exists. However, once in a while, someone becomes conscious during that period, and that’s when it becomes Awareness during Sleep Paralysis, or ASP. To the best of my knowledge, this happens more often upon waking up. Basically, your mind wakes up before your body does. Eventually, your body catches up to your mind and wakes up too.

That is from this site I'm gonna post and is what I was saying earlier...

http://www.robertpeterson.org/asp.htm

7. lylelovette

lylelovette Guest

i understand the sleep paralysis happens for different reasons. stress, sleep deprivation , etc and that it is because our bodies wake up before the chemicals that are sent through our body, the chemical that informs our brain to do things like: moving our legs, hands, walking, biting, any movement we make our brain receives those messages first and i've read that when we are in that state, our body is not receiving those messages, which results in lacking the ability to move.
    whenever someone asks, this is the perfect picture to describe the feeling of it. [​IMG]

unusual but rather interesting. :)
    (new at this so im not sure which was the correct way to reply, srry)​

8. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Reply was good...and yeah, that's pretty much why. :)
    It's self protection against sleep walking and stuff and your mind waking up "early"..

9. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

That happens to me at least once a week. Stinks.

I read once that it is caused by the soul leaving the body while you sleep. Take that for what it is worth.

10. PsychonautMIA

PsychonautMIA Chimps gonna chimp

Used to happen to me 1-2 times a night. Now it's just sporadic, definitely scary. I saw a black shadow once which sent shivers down my entire body. Probably not related but it scared the shit out of me

11. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Read the article I posted. It talks about all that stuff.

12. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

i get it all the time.

13. Happen to me this morning i realized i was dreaming and i told my self "this is a dream i can control it if i want too" and as soon as i say that i get a thousand voices in my head and everything starts flashing red and blue really fast and i feel like im under a light and then i finally break free i look around and go back asleep and it happens again but this time more intense and the white light is taking up the view of the flashes of red and blue sort of like its covering it

14. i_was_in_shroom_land

i_was_in_shroom_land Shroomier than you!

its happened to me many times... mostly on days when i was feeling scared.. (like after watching a scary movie.. lol) and extremely tired/sleepy.. but i cant sleep cause thinking about movie.

anyway.. even though its happened so many times before.. i still cant get used to it. its just that.. at that moment its happening.. thoughts are always that theres something scary going on.. u know.. besides the fact that you cant move..

i always feeeel like theres some demon or a serial killer whos about to kill me. lol
    but i've never actually seen anything supernatural..

but i swear on my life i heard like heavy foot steps and shit.. even though there was nobody home.

so im thinking about demons.. serial killers.. and i cant move.. ofcourse its gonna be scary. lol

----
    sleep paralysis is basically just your body in sleeping mode.. but your mind is fully awake.
    and since your brain thinks you're asleep it is still dreaming. so whatever you would be dreaming about.. you can see when youre in that state. it combines your dreams with the real world.

so it explains why people see or hear things that arent really there..

cause you're dreaming while you are awake! lol.

15. nectar

nectar Member

I think I'm visiting tomorrow, shall we meet?

This sounds really freaky. I've never actually had paralysis, whereby I wake up and feel like someone is watching me (does everyone have this? I'm guessing it's just the subconscious? concious? I'm gonna go back and read that article) but I did wake up once when I fell asleep on my back (which for some reason make me feel really insecure) and heard the most demonic voice bringing me to the edge of my concious then my eyes snapped open and it shook my whole body whilst making a demonic noise.
    Definitely on my top ten list of Scariest dreams.

16. I didn't feel like i was being watched but i felt like someone knew i was there and knew i couldn't move i guess you can say i felt vulnerable?

Another question do psychedelics affect this before i tried any psychedelic i didnt "see" anything but after trying them i see more of the hallucinations, but could sleep paralysis be used to create your own hallucinations? And trip naturally?

17. thatblindguy

thatblindguy Member

Try the WILD ( waking induced lucid dream) techniques. The idea is that you relax your body while keeping your mind alert. Eventually your body will begin to fall asleep. You'll focus on things like breathing, counting, or hypnogagic imagery to keep your mind awake. As you fall asleep, you'll experience sensations of floating, sinking into the bed and visual/auditory hallucinations. The hallucinations will become gradually more vivid until you are in a dream with full awareness and control. I have never completed a WILD. I almost succeeded once but got excited and came out of it. I have had many lucid dreams and they are an incredible experience.

18. Rivehn

Rivehn Member

I have had this happen a few times actually its really werid. I could hear everyone around me but i couldn't get myself up to say anything or move.

19. happened again today... very weird this time i was on my aunt's couch and had this feeling of something grabbing my body entirely and i tried to get it off me so i ran to the restroom but i was falling on the ground on the door on the wall, basically everywhere i stepped i would fall i ran to the restroom to look in the mirror to make sure it was me right now and i didn't know how to turn on the light so i saw the balcony in her room and told my self "maybe if i jump off ill wake up" i told my self no i don't want to do that, then i laid down and everything turned white and i yelled help as loud as i could and woke up.. o_O very freaky lol

20. Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I've had this a couple of times in my life it's pretty scary how you can't move and when you try to yell and just can't.

mommas man likes this.