Slashing SNAP (food assistance) in the US

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by drumminmama, Oct 1, 2013.

1. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

Everyone I know who uses SNAP, spends more than enough money to feed their family on drugs every month.

That may say more about the people I know than the program itself.

2 days ago there was this smelly dude in my Local grocery store trying to sell his SNAP money. He was going as low as 30% but no one was buying. Made me happy to see everyone turning him down. Although I regularly see people like him having success at other grocery stores.

2. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

You need to find different friends dood ;)

3. LetLovinTakeHold

Not necessarily friends as much as acquaintances.

4. Gongshaman

You must know them pretty well to know their drug habits as well as their food budget.

There is a lot less abuse of the system since they changed from food stamps to the snap card, thats for sure.

5. LetLovinTakeHold

I know how much food costs and I know how much drugs cost. You don't have to know someone all that well to know that they're high and on what.

Is this a guess or is there evidence to support this?

6. Gongshaman

The national rate of food stamp trafficking declined from about 3.8 cents per dollar of benefits redeemed in 1993 to about 1.3 cent per dollar during the years 2009 to 2011.
    As you may have read in local news, USDA is aggressively fighting trafficking, but while there are individual cases of program abuse, for every one instance of fraud, there are hundreds of stories of heartbreaking need.

http://feedingamerica.org/how-we-fi...-assistance-program/snap-myths-realities.aspx

7. deleted

deleted Visitor

funny thing about those black people, they use the card in the store. its the white junkies that sell them. or maybe I need to make some black junkie friends. .. [​IMG]

8. OddApple

OddApple Member

Well, even tho that's a pretty poor excuse of an ex post facto, still, it is not all about abuse and that's the big white elephant in the room so since you bring up differences, even the hillbilly meth heads went to work and by your statistics there is one group who is not even on the work map like the hispanics and whites are. That one right there that people are sick of. We all have to live on mac-n- cheese for two years because of the real problems.

9. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

I like Mac n cheese.

10. OddApple

OddApple Member

Lol - keep seein' the good we can

11. deleted

deleted Visitor

sorry u mentioned race first, and I provided no statistic..

12. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

There are a certain percentage of humans that will never work under any circumstances, a certain percentage that will kill others, a certain percentage that will work hard and enjoy the benefits of work, a certain percentage that will begrudge others for needing help in a bad economy, and the small percentage that will game any system to make millions while others scrape to get by =stock market, real estate, the large banks, individuals/corporations that buy elections,etc. The painting of ALL food card recipients(lowest on the pole) with the broad brush of "individuals that are ripping me off", is indicative of the sleight of hand employed by the right, that some are so willing to accept. I maintain that if there were enough jobs--decent paying jobs--everyone except that small percentage would work.

13. OddApple

OddApple Member

They would, but it's not in the cards. The money went uphill and is staying for agenda21. There's more of everything than there ever was. That's one of the reasons for depopulation. They have it and are not sharing anymore because they don't need to.

14. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

SNAP is a way to shore up the food industry. Back when it was called Food Stamps I had a colleague who managed a grocery chain. He told me that without food stamps he would have to cut 2/3 of his stores overnight. The problem with agriculture is that even with all the advancements, it's still prone to unpredictable events that can cause imbalances in the system. The only way to keep it running smoothly is to keep it running constantly. Its why you see Lima Beans from Ecuador when you know good and well Lima Beans will grow just about anywhere. So why so far away? Because local production might be caught in a seasonal development issue or a disease is advancing here. While 48 million Americans are on SNAP, it's still only a 15% investment in keeping the food machine going without any hitches. Anyone who has lived on an island can tell you about this. 15% is really a small price to ay to keep the food system in the US functioning normally. Failures with so many people could lead to cascades that can't be reversed quickly. More people need to be prepared for shortages if the government is going to start playing games with SNAP. I don't pick sides with the government on this issue. If both sides are willing to keep the War on Drugs going, they can afford to feed people. Obama using this as a political weapon to tread on evil old republicans is no better than the games he is accusing them of. Obama has raided the food stamp program before. ALL of Washington is responsible for this. Somebody needs to take this to Obama. He IS the president.

15. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

I realize that it's fashionable these days to blame the GOP for all of our ills, but it's time to take a step back and really look at Washington. BOTH parties are screwing us, let's settle that now. Sure I know the democrats TALK a really really good game about things that make us feel good like fairness, equality and free food, but consider that they are also the people who kept the drug war alive with the GOP. They are also the same people who don't live the life they expect us to live (also like the GOP). Rules that apply to us, do not apply to republicans or democrats when they get high enough up the ranks.

Notice how democrats are refusing to be part of the ACA and instead want their own healthcare plan that is MUCH better than what the rest of America gets. Your average democrat politician lives in a gated community, far from the diversity they say we all need. The GOP does as well of course.

Under evil old GW Bush the California cannabis clinics were hardly even bothered. When Obama came in, they started getting shut down. Does that make sense?

Folks, Americans have NO friends in Washington on EITHER side. The whole game being played on us now is designed to keep us divided. Americans ever united against Washington, it would be revolution. o prevent this, BOTH parties do heir best to keep us at each others throats.

While BOTH parties politicians go to the same country clubs and drink the same champagne (at taxpayer expense). So when I hear all this whining about the GOP, I suspect it's from people who have been fooled by the democrats so well that the very thought of another possibility never crosses their little brainwashed minds.

Politics turns you into a fanatical slave if you aren't willing to explore BOTH sides and listen to what BOTH sides are saying. If you aren't even willing to listen to the other side, how can you possibly be sure the side you do listen to is right?

16. Jalesto

Jalesto Jalpnoenma

So we vote for "None of the Above" Mr. Brewster?

17. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

no we vote for the person thats best for the job. unfortunately everyone else votes democrap or republicant and we are screwed for another 4 years.

18. Jalesto

Jalesto Jalpnoenma

Then the REAL changes will happen closer to home. We're all probably better off in small towns than in bigger cities. I'm just not a farmer! Jal

19. OddApple

OddApple Member

Stalin got letters from the people in his extermination camps from people begging him to save them because even after he had ordered them sent there, they were still believing he was their "savior" - I see the same thing here. I see more and more paralels in management of this adminstration and hitler/stalin all the time....