Slashing SNAP (food assistance) in the US

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by drumminmama, Oct 1, 2013.

1. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

this comment is interesting to me because its something i think about quite often. then i think about how much i hate the government and how it would be without a government. with no money people would have to go out and hunt or grow their own food. if your growing food you have to fight off rival clans that want that land to grow food for themselves. building homes sounds like a lot of work but i think we would learn stuff much like the amish did.
    my conclusion is always
    as bad as this working slavery thing is, its still better than the being free and living off the land gig. i get that there are a lot of peaceful commune people on this site but hopefully they understand that not everyone is like they are.
    my conclusion, keep the government just have a little less of it.

2. gilded raven

gilded raven Member

totally! he is just a puppet like all the rest. they laugh while we fight amongst ourselves. why do you think they chose a (sort of) black prez ,because this is still a very racist country and it polarised people even more.
    spending feeding people is not the prob. as long as you stay in the box of "entitlements vs taxes we miss the big pic. It's not what we spend on. it is the legal bribery of lobbyists and our criminal politicians who over pay for everything. (the old joke about the 50,000 hammer not too funny when it's part of the down fall of our republic)

3. gilded raven

gilded raven Member

native cultures seemed to do just fine. then cancer of civilization came to devour them and their ways and land

is it really better? billions who can't take care of themselves, their kids or their community. preventing physical discomfort(and death) is not worth the soul sickness and destroying the only place we and future generations have. and some get the shorter end of the stick anyways(we don't always see that living the illusionary reality created for us)
    what is more important what you have on the outside or on the inside?

4. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Riots would break out if the grocery stores flopped shut ,because in the main,they have weaned us off of the self sufficiency that used to be paramount to all families. And that goes right along with what the "sellers of stuff" --don't give a damn about, because they have made 'go shopping-buy more now' the be-all and end-all purpose of this society. It's the whole point of this society and economy. Create a want--and then satisfy that want. More plastic or you're just not "with it."

My gramma, who was born in 1884, canned every year and if we had had to live off it for a year or part of a year--we could have done it.

5. gilded raven

gilded raven Member

people are so far removed from the land that most will not do that typ of work as they see it as beneath them.

6. Ranger

Ranger Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

It would help if wages were up to minimum standards and working conditions up to OSHA specs.

7. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

did fine, but they didn't live nearly as long as we do now. their lives were definitely not free from hardship and suffering before the europeans arrived.

8. Ranger

Ranger Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Propaganda! Right now the oldest humans are all from primitive cultures.

9. gilded raven

gilded raven Member

didn't say they did not have hardship. but psychologically they were healthier. as far as life expectancy we peaked and it's now dropping. and what good is a long life if it's not fulfilling(even if you say yours is most people's ain't) and has no purpose other than to acquire "things", work for the profit someone else and fill superior to someone. worship the celebrity cult and or obsess about other things that don't matter(like sports)
    All the health improvements have hurt us genetically and over populated the earth(getting worse everyday). besides is man the end all be all and fuck the rest of the earth??? we will end like all rest of the people who out grew their space and resources except this time that space is the whole earth....

10. gilded raven

gilded raven Member

and most "civilized" people who live/lived so long grew up right before the chemical revolution.
    anyway if the people lose ether of their "loaves and circuses" all hell will break loose

11. eggsprog

you don't have to get so upset, i was just pointing out that their lives were shorter than ours not, not arguing in favour of a system that rapes the earth for profit.

from what i know, life expectancy is not dropping, at least not here.

12. eggsprog

propaganda? when the europeans arrived in north america, the indigenous people here had fairly similar life expectancies to the europeans. possibly slightly longer, but not by much.

13. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

when did primitives start doing birth certificates?

14. usedtobehoney

usedtobehoney Senior Member

From what I've read it's more than 5-8 hour days that they work and not everyone could do it because it's very physical work. Also it wouldn't really fill people up well...it's healthy food but berries are a bitch to pick and have very few calories, so... but other types of produce would be good. It is seasonal work though, so that would only partially work for part of the year in specific places.

However, a lot of people volunteer to work on farms for food, if they have the ability to get there and do the work. Wwoofing is pretty big these days and the government has absolutely nothing to do with it. Still a lot of people don't know about it, individuals and farms, and some farms just don't have the ability or desire to have volunteers...and again unless there is meat, things like potatoes or fruit trees, it takes a whole lot of work(or time or both) to get enough to feed someone, which is fine for someone who can actually do the work.

It really seems like a lot of this is on the government. Even when people go through grassroots efforts, it doesn't quite make up for all the legislation on small farms and subsidies and food distribution and all that.

15. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

In the days before reading the piece I posted, KCBS radio had a too short blurb about a new definition of the poverty limit that takes the cost of living into account. A later version of the blurb (drive time radio is pretty shallow water, maybe so people pay attention to driving?) added that "states" (unspecified, but I'm assuming California would be in on it) were hoping to have housing costs in particular included in a new algorithm.

Now,I'm somewhere between 100 and 133 percent of the poverty line, as I get beyond two years of unemployment and another two of underemployment. I was lucky and qualified for unemployment benefits. I wasn't so lucky and couldn't afford rent, food and COBRA, and I went down to cancer town during these years. But I also retrained, because a journalism degree doesn't do much besides marketing and social media these days.
    By living with others, I've gotten by without the safety net. The cancer was simple to treat but long. It wiped out my savings/retirement/what was left of my investments.

Somehow, using a food bank a couple times and having some good relationships with farmers market vendors, I was able to not use SNAP.

I hope to go a few years without pasta, however. :)

I'd love to see nutrition and frugality taught along with other subjects in school. Have word problems include food costs and nutrient value. Have nutrition in science. Maybe even figure a way to have the lunch room be a marketplace where the point is the best nutrition for the dollars.

16. drumminmama

WWoofing is typically on organic and going organic places.
    Show me the person who will voluntarily get sprayed with pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers.

And the farm workers, especially migrants outside of the union, are usually working 10-12 hours in very harsh conditions.

17. RIPTIDE59

RIPTIDE59 Banned

It does sound like Drummer managed her affairs without going to the government. So admirable in many ways. Actually, we make our own poverty line. Less is more ; I'm convinced. The only item we need more of might be freedom from gubmint.

18. gilded raven

gilded raven Member

19. drumminmama

Well, I did draw the unemployment insurance. And was in debt to people.
    I had the network that allowed that.
    What if my human network was poorer? Smaller?
    And my son had moved out. If he'd been younger and home, I'd have assured food on the table.

I am very happy the social safety net of SNAP, section 8, etc exists.

Maybe since I'd never done more than flirted with middle class, I wasn't missing so much?

I'm not looking for freedom from government. I'm looking to hold government accountable, mostly. I see value in social programs.
    I see folks who need them every day. I pass through a neighborhood where the average income is half the federal poverty line. Half. Age and disability are big factors. But so, too is chronic unemployment for their ability level.

20. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Uh, "Barry" did not create the SNAP program, silly. That was there way before him.

And btw, food banks are also being hit by the shutdown. They are not all automatically shutting down, as many do receive food locally- but some more so than others and some may be shut down totally...just depends on the area.