skirt help?

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by luna99, May 16, 2004.

1. luna99

luna99 Member

I found this really cool material at a thrift store that I want to make a skirt out of... it was a curtain with a ruffle all along the bottom of it....

basically, I wanted the skirt to have a drawstring waist and be more fitted at the waist/hip area... but want it to be really full at the bottom ... like if I were to spin in it, it would flare out..

I'm having a hard time with it (getting the fitting right).. today I was pinning it and it kept coming out way too narrow at the bottom...

can anyone help? do i just need to cut it at an angle? if anyone has any suggestions or a pattern or whatever...that would help *SO* much!

thanks!

2. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

im not an expert on this stuff, so ask someone better first, but yeah, i think you cut it at angles, then sew the angles together. Don't just make a rectangle

3. mjoda

mjoda Member

You're gonna want to cut the fabric so that it flares out where you want it to. like this

+ +
    + +
    + +
    + +
    + +
    + +
    + +

Basically something like that, and then say you want it flared more, add triangle panels into the side seams, starting where ever you want it to bell out.
    If you're using vintage fabric, (and sewing free hand) your best bet is to sew it in muslin or another cheap fabric you have laying around to get it right first so you don't screw up a fabric that you won't be able to get more of!

4. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

I just see a bunch of plus signs. I don't get it.

5. mjoda

mjoda Member

lol ok my little diagram didn't work,

but do you get what i mean? measure down from the top of the skirt where you want it to start flaring, then start cutting the fabric on an angle from that point to create fullness, and add panels for more fullness

6. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

hmm... my aunt did something similar for me, she found some great material from clothes at thrift stores and made me 3 new skirts with matching tops, they look so great...

7. 3littlebirds

3littlebirds Member

here's two different patterns for gored skirts (panels running vertically)
    ...the first is just a simple A-frame skirt (the smaller part will be the waist), just cut as many as you need to fit around your waist.
    The second one will flare out as well, but will be more fitted around your butt and hips.
    sorry, i was bored :)

8. Aurora Sky

Aurora Sky Member