Size of a Gram?

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by Blind_Melon_Chitlin', Oct 12, 2005.

1. Blind_Melon_Chitlin'

Blind_Melon_Chitlin' Member

My dealer doesnt sell by grams. I mostly buy eigths and dimes so I dont really have that good of an idea of how big a gram is.

2. Blind_Melon_Chitlin'

Blind_Melon_Chitlin' Member

I'm making these cookies called nips/firecrackers, I've made them before and put a little less than a dime in them and both times it worked.
    http://www.drugs-plaza.com/recipesnuttelacrackers.htm

3. nesta

nesta Banned

whatever. but i've eaten over a gram of nuggets in food before and not felt much of anything. if it works for you thats cool, but i'd view it as a waste of weed unless you ate at least two or three of them.

4. TeaWithATwist

TeaWithATwist Banned

You must either have some huge bowls, or some poorly dried weed.

5. nesta

nesta Banned

yeah, a gram will get me at LEAST 2 or 3 bowlpacks.

a good rule of thumb is that half to three fourths of a gram will go in the average joint, and the average joint will get you about one and a half to two bowlpacks in the average bowl. of course, these "averages" are not at all exact, but just going by whats most common with general mid-grade cannabis. getting four bowlpacks out of a gram isn't at all unusual for almost anyone.

6. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

yeh averages.. lol 1/3-1/4 gram in a standard joint for me and we get aout 20 of our bowls from a gram sometimes

;)

7. nesta

nesta Banned

man, you must have some tiny bowls over there.....hahaha.....

i'm guessing you're talking about like bongs with the little small metal bowls? cause i can't imagine getting twenty bowls out of a gram with ANY glass peices i've seen, and i've seen some pretty small ones....

8. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

yeh its the little metal ones we all use here
    just an indication of how the amount of servings isnt an indication due to always differing serving sizes

9. nesta

nesta Banned

dude, i know you like what you like, but perhaps you ought to consider ordering an american style glass bowl or something through the mail sometime if you have the money to spare...if they dont sell them in headshops were you're at, that is...they're really nice, and theres plenty of reason that so many of us swear by them. you dont need a really elaborate or expensive or big peice, but its definitely a nice thing to have....way nicer than smoking from metal. trust me!

10. Twizz

Twizz Drug Conoisseur

Shit, if that's a gram, I've been getting a fackload of dank for only $10. I always ask my dealer for a dime, and I get one of those yellow plastic bags (a big wider though) and it's completely full and packed together super tight (dank, mind you.)

11. Twizz

Twizz Drug Conoisseur

Yeah I worked this summer at the Calgary Stampede and I worked with this chick (I can't recall her name) but she was from Sydney, off from high-school. She brought her bong, and I couldn't believe the size of the bowl. It was miniscule. No wonder you don't often hear of busts in Aussie-land... They only need one plant to divide between the whole country! (Just KIDDING!)

12. TopNotchStoner

TopNotchStoner Georgia Homegrown

I agree. It tastes better and feels better to smoke out of glass spoons instead of metal pipes. It's also healthier because most, if not all, metal pipes have a number of harmful by-products that you are inhaling when you toke.

I was confused when a few of you said a standard joint is 3/4-1g, we usually put at least 1.5-2g in joints, and that's considered a pinner to a moderate sized joint. But the reason for that is probably because we grind it really fine and basically stuff "1.5 JOKERs" with as much weed as possible while still rolling the joint as tight as possible.

13. TopNotchStoner

TopNotchStoner Georgia Homegrown

magicmushrooms, that really did seem to be an extra tiny "gram". That would have barely packed my bowl.

14. TeaWithATwist

TeaWithATwist Banned

What's the deal with people in Australia, anyway? I'm not saying this in a bad way at all, but it's probably the most unique country as far as smoking goes.

It seems everyone uses those little tiny metal cone bowls, and it seems most use home made pieces. I realize there are exceptions to this, but every time I see an Australian online they always talk about smoking from home made "billies" and those tiny cone bowls.

Is there some sort of cultural background there that explains this?

15. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

im not sure the origin, however it is just teh way its done here. we smoke cones in one go. we dont take 'hits' (well, the aim is to take it in one, but newbies or people whove had big breaks cant always do it), we fill up the conepiece, smoke the whole thing in one hit, then pass it on, and the next person fills it up and smokes it, and passes it. we dont load a bowl and pass it around takking hits.
    however its not like a 'one hitter', because a conepiece usually contains more than those things. its like a 'big hitter' sorta thing.

so we dont measure how much weve smoked in 'hits' or bowls but cones. two cones will get anyone stoned, but one will sometimes only get a pothead buzzed. generally in a good single sitting, each person will have 3-6 cones. but theres really no limit of course hehe

its actually like 1/3 - 1/2 volume of most of the bowls i see here, but keep in mind that we ALWAYS chop weed up, and often mix with tobacco. and thats why you can get up to 20 cones fro mone stick. but the range is between 10-20, depending on your mix with tobacco, and size of conepiece.

the term billy comes from the aussi term for a sort of kettle that you hang over a fire, its called a billycan. the bong has water in it and bubbles like a boiling billycan would, so we call it a billy.

as for trying american style, ive got an american friend who uses a large pipe bowl and it gets passed around for hits. but the aussi style has evolved for a reason, and even though the reason is not really definable, lol, its a tried and tested method.

however even we are not limited to small cones, for you can buy cones that get as big as american bowls lol but, teh style is still to take the whole thing in one hit ;)

as for making our own bongs, thats just a bit of australian function-over-form mentality, and a bongologist makes a bong that functions for the purpose of of our smoking style. stoners own conepieces, and make bongs wherever, or whenever. you then just have to carry around a conepiece, and then obtain or carry a piece of hose and a plastic bottle wherever.

and yes, thats the australian way ;)

but would someone from australia get in trouble if they went o smoke with americans and tried to smoke teh whole bowl in one hit, out of habit? loll

16. MagicMushrooms

MagicMushrooms Member

Well, I never said it was a full gram. When Melon asked how much a gram was, I took some small buds out and put them in that little bag. Sorry I wasn't precise down to the atom, I don't have a scale either so I was kinda estimating with what I had left.

17. nesta

nesta Banned

not necessarily in trouble, but assuming it's an "average" sized bowl, if you were smoking with others you might get fussed at, looked at dirty, or viewed as being selfish or greedy....generally here smoking is communal, and a bowl is shared among friends, usually passed clockwise in a circle. among most of my friends, it's an unwritten rule that you take one normal puff on a bowl then pass it to the left, with a joint its one or two hits, and with a blunt its two to four hits then pass depending on who you're smoking with. if you mix it up and take an extra hit or two before passing, no big deal, but if you consistantly take more hits then everyone else does, it might be a problem. the key would be observing your friends and basically do as they do. weed here is expensive no matter where you live, and basically its viewed as robbing someone who has been very generous with you if you smoke more of their pot than they get to.

seriously though, i dont know how big a hit you get off of those bongs, but try sometime to take like half of what you normally would, and hold it for like 5-10 seconds. i bet you that you'll get higher taking small hits and being able to hold them a few seconds longer than you do trying to take the biggest hit you can (which invariably leads to not holding it as long)

i know you're all for the 5-second-or-less method from the sound of your previous post, but i was thinking about this last night and concluded that it simply isn't logical to say that 90% of the thc is absorbed in the first 5 seconds. that may or may not be statistically accurate, but your lungs dont care about percentages. there HAS to be a limit to how much you can absorb the first five seconds, and if you take a bigger than normal hit i'm sure that it will take longer to absorb all the THC than if you take a tiny puff. but lets not get too into this argument again :p

anyway, i can see mixing it with tobacco for a joint, but it must taste nasty as hell through a bong....but whatever....most bongs dont taste too good regardless, especially if the bowl is metal

while you sometimes ought to be careful who you smoke with (different rules depending on who you're with, and illness can potentially be passed by sharing a pipe) i like the american style of smoking and could not see doing it any other way unless i was visiting another country and adapted to the norm there for a while. in as self-centered and egotistical a country as this, there are very few things outside of religion that will actually bring people together in some form of communal activity. while smoking pot isn't the most noble of pursuits, it DOES bring people together, you DO meet all sorts of friends through pot, and it IS a purely communal activity when you're not smoking by yourself. take all of that and couple it with pot making you feel really good, its no surprise that some american potheads strike me as being so much more fanatically devoted to their drug of choice than most smokers i've known from outside our country.

18. TeaWithATwist

TeaWithATwist Banned

Sounds to me like people in Australia do what we call "snappers" or "personals" in the US.

We load just enough bud for ONE hit, and suck the ash through into the bong. That way you get a perfectly green hit every time, which takes care of the main problem with passing a bowl around: the ass hit.

To be honest I do this often, as I find the taste and smoothness of the hit to be far superior to taking multiple hits off a larger bowl.

19. jojoeyes

jojoeyes kinda high

if i saw someone take an entire american bowl down in one hit, my eyes would get huge and i'd find a video camera and tell them to do it again. fuck yelling at them. thatd be amazing.

oh and the aussie way is probably smarter...smaller bowl = less wasted smoke

20. nesta

nesta Banned

yeah, if i'm alone i usually smoke in a similar way, and i've advocated it for quite some time as a means to stretch the budget. however, i still like packing a full bowl and just smoking it with people.

though i used to have a small glass bowl that i could smoke in about four hits, i bet if i had it back (it broke last year, it was my first peice i ever got....got it the first night i smoked pot, brand new from the shop!) i bet i could probably finish it in one or two hits if i REALLY tried.