Sitting in an asana brings clarity right away...

Discussion in 'Yoga and Meditation' started by Ajay0, May 3, 2022.

1. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

Insightful article by Sri Sri Ravi Shankar on asanas and the mental stability it brings...

Don't Shy Away From Criticism - Patanjali Yoga Sutras - Knowledge Sheet 84 | The Art of Living

This advice have helped me a lot, and upon experiencing mental agitation or confusion due to proliferation of mental stimuli or thoughts-emotions, I used to sit down in the lotus position or padmasana, and found my mind becoming more stable and calmer effortlessly and pretty quick.

This helped me to calm the mind, bring mental clarity and sort out any issues at hand better.

Other techniques that help in this regard are observation of the breath and trataka.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  2. JonJRR88

JonJRR88 Members

Patanjali is one of the great ancient sages of India. Advice is always going to be enormously wise.

I have also had the experience of entering into an asana, and immediately feeling better. The Lotus and half-Lotus definitely did that for me. And other asanas as well. The Lotus worked well generally. Other asanas worked well to ease pain levels from various injuries (car accidents).

A daily practice of some basic Hatha Yoga...like the Salutation to the Sun, is good daily stretching, general good exercise, excellent general preventive to all kinds of potential problems as we age...always good.

A good daily practice of meditation is also going to do that for the mind and emotions...and then, into spirituality.

Here is Mahatma Gandhi on his practice of Ramanama:

Ramanama | Mind of Mahatma Gandhi

It is basically sitting calmly in a meditative pose and silently repeating a name of God, while meditating on God. This form of prayer / meditation exists in all the world's major religions, in slightly modified forms.