Single and double quotation marks.

Discussion in 'Writers Forum' started by Henderson, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Henderson

Henderson Banned

Are the single and double quotation marks in the following sentence correct?

Dr. Lee recounted that when she asked the station staff member where she should have waited, “he merely shrugged and replied, 'I don’t speak English.'”

2. Um, no, Peg.

3. Henderson

Henderson Banned

Why not?

4. Just cause the beginning quote should go after "replied." To indicate that someone is speaking.

5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

it's technically correct, I get what you're going for
    But it's a little confusing
    I dont think its neccessary to quote Dr. Lee as saying "he merely shrugged...."
    The narrator could describe Dr. Lee as saying he merely shrugged, without including it as a piece of dialogue:

Dr. Lee recounted that when she asked the station staff member where she should have waited, he merely shrugged and replied, "I don’t speak English."

6. Henderson

Henderson Banned

Thank you. That makes sense.

7. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Grammar and punctuation are about what kind of effect you are trying to make. Syntax speaks to who we are and the mysteries of life, while grammar speaks to the world of causality, beauty, and often asserts that everything must make sense, even when it doesn't. By adding quotes around the narrator's own actions, you confuse the identity of the narrator with themselves, as if they are struggling to remember what they did or whatever. So you can use the effect of adding extra punctuation in order to urge the reader to make inferences in syntax and to build the mood.

Sorry if that's confusing, but that's as simple as I can explain it, because English actually has two grammars and its all just so much bullshit logic to me.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    ZenKarma likes this.
  8. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

I would say this example:
    Dr. Lee recounted that when she asked the station staff member where she should have waited, “he merely shrugged and replied, 'I don’t speak English.'”

Should be written as follows:
    Dr. Lee recounted that when she asked the station staff member where she should have waited, he merely shrugged and replied, "I don’t speak English."

Reason being that mentioning a shrug is not a quote. It's a statement of fact. Whereas the person actually saying something IS the quote.

You can complicate it any way you want, but simplicity rules. Complexity confuses the reader.

9. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Nope, the use of the quotation marks in that sentence are incorrect.