Since you used the internet, what was the longest time you went without it?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by bird_migration, Oct 5, 2013.

1. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

In other words; what was the longest time you didn't use the internet since you use the internet?

In another language; sinds je internet gebruikt, was is de langste tijd dat je zonder internet hebt doorgebracht?

2. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I first started using the internet in about 2001.Then shortly afterward there was a period of about 4 years where I didn't have it.I didn't really need it.I have never really understood the internet and found it intimidating,and in a sense really rather a negative,dead space with which to share one's life.Increasingly though I am becoming dependent on it,and finally starting to learn how to use it properly,especially for downloading software for my creative projects which I am just getting into now I have this super duper new iMac machine.

3. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

A couple of months at most. The internet and I are attached at the hip.

4. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

There was also a period between 2008 and 2011 when I wasn't online.I kind of see it as a necessary evil,which is co-equivalent to this increasingly fractured and isolated existence we lead.It will be useful for ordering food from the supermarket when I get old though,and stuff like that.Having the option of being a total recluse does hold some satisfaction,even as I try to counter it by engaging actively with the real world at present.

5. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

I'm really not sure. We got it in 1999 the day before I started 7th grade. I know we definitely didn't have internet when we went on vacation the following summer, but we were only gone for about a week. There were a few trips I took between then and last year that had me out of town and away from the computer for anywhere from a couple of days to a week. And then a year ago I got my smartphone and I haven't really been without internet for very long at all, whether I'm home or not now.

6. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

One month when I was in the process of moving. It was a long month. :)

7. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I’ve had internet access continuously since 1993 :2thumbsup:

With several one or two day gaps when I switched services from people PC, to AOL, to Verizon DSL, etc…..

Hotwater

8. TopNotchStoner

TopNotchStoner Georgia Homegrown

6 months without internet at Job Corps, a few months without internet when I enlisted in the Army, and a few months without internet during a couple of stints of homelessness.

9. odonII

odonII O

I have no idea. Probably not longer than a week. Yeah, I can really remember my Internet activity in - for e.g - 2004.

10. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Since tablets.came in, or it was actually usuable on a phone, the last couple years, wouldnt be surprised if i havent gone a day without checking something.

11. junglejack

junglejack aiko aiko

Maybe a month-
    I dont have a iPhone, Tablet,laptop or any other device--- I just use this Dell desktop, :computer: on a table in the corner of the living room. So for the younger folk I might be behind in the tech world, but its fast and Im connected- so its all good

12. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

Have always been able to access it in some form since 2001. Maybe when I was living in China and the internet used to be cut off sporadically for days at a time?

13. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

i can quit anytime i want, no really i can.

my best guess is there was a time between 1 week and 2 weeks that i didnt have it since i first logged on in 2001. i really could do without it, i have books i been meaning to read and games i been meaning to play, but since im paying for it every day i might as well use it everyday.

14. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

hey jack, unless you have dial up, the worst connection available to you is better than the best connection i can get. one of the things i miss about jersey.

15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Ah dial up, 3 kb/s, those were the days

16. Meliai

Meliai Banned

My family got AOL in 1996 and a few months later our modem got struck by lightening through the phone line(haha, oh the early days of the net) and we didn't get it fixed for like 4 months. Then a few years ago I moved and we didn't have the internet for a month or so, then later my laptop broke and I didn't get it fixed for like a month but I still checked my email and did basic things at work.

I take a family vacation every summer and used to make a point not to use the internet during that time but smart phones make the internet a hard thing to avoid.

17. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

2 Days In 7 Years Whilst The Puuuter Was In The

Repair Shop Getting Upgraded...:)

Cheers Glen.

18. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

^ that! :iagree:

I got connected to the internet via the land/home line in 2006 or 2007. There have been times the computer has misbehaved, a new one was built, or power was out - as in the lines being damaged - for maybe 2 weeks. I used to go maybe 2 weeks without going online...not anymore. ;)

19. antithesis

antithesis Hello

Probably about 6 months or so

20. Jimmy P

Jimmy P bastion of awesomeness

I first started using the Internet around 1995.
    I lived in a house with no Internet connection for 2 years or so, from 2009. I'd go to Internet cafes if needed to do something important, but that was fairly rare, a couple of times in a month at the most. Even though I had been pretty hooked previously, I was completely fine with not having an Internet connection