Simple living / Self sufficiency links and lists

Discussion in 'Consumer Advocacy' started by drumminmama, Dec 20, 2005.

1. jonny2mad

jonny2mad Senior Member

2. SugarStash

SugarStash Member

I'm bummed. There used to be a link, either on this sticky, or the saving money one, to a womans website that had a ton of tips for simple living and saving money. I had it saved but my comp crashed and the link was lost. Does anybody remember this link?? She also did psychic readings in her site. PM me if you would like, with the link. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!

3. Aeshura

Aeshura Member

*Whistles and standing ovation*

4. 0817

0817 Member

Thanks a lot for the list. I recommend everyone to read some of these books, the knowledge will be vital in the very near future.

Please add...
    GreenAnarchyJournal, all issues. - www.greenanarchy.org
    That journal contains a lot of useful information on the topic.

I could even create a whole separate forum dedicated to the topic, if enough people ask for it. :)

5. tuesdaystar

tuesdaystar Interneter

6. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

7. mai

mai Member

For computers:
    Ubuntu Linux - free, safe, community based operating system , get rid of Windows now!
    Open Source alternatives - get free alternatives for your favorite software. Alternatives which are open source as well as free.
    Apache server
    - run your website on the world's most popular server which is free and open source (and safe)
    Firefox- no introduction needed. a great browser- safe, fast and open source

8. Etherwind27

Etherwind27 Member

We're at the peak of industrialism people... enjoy the ride downhill and don't forget to survive! I would advise you to get a field guide to edible and medical wild plants of the region you live in. Also, "worst case scenario" handbook, outdoor survival skills books, stuff like that is important. It's not that I'm paranoid that we'll see nothing less than a complete economic collapse when the oil rigs are pumping nothing but sand and air... but there's no harm in being prepared for such a wonderful/terrible world to soon come. (Depending on your worldview.)

9. indydude

indydude Senior Member

Good topic mama! I copied all the books and will keep the list with me as I browse used bookstores and thrift shops. I need to start getting reading material for the winter.

10. IntellectualCurious

IntellectualCurious Member

that's just... rude... and obnoxious... and property damage.
    You don't solve ANYTHING by doing that, there is ways to get the dust out, or else they'll just buy more fun.
    seriously, you're just making yourself look like a crazy psycho extremist and in the end no one will take you seriously if you're just running around acting like an obnoxious teenager destroying stuff. you'll just get your crazy ass locked away.

11. IntellectualCurious

IntellectualCurious Member

yay Ubuntu! yay Firefox! Yay open source!

12. Brother Love

Brother Love Member

13. Lafincoyote

Lafincoyote Member

Sun Bear's book on self sufficiency is good for presenting the big picture, and has good advice on locating area for living. It doesn't go into specifics, such as what to plant, and when to plant it type of details. It just depends on what you are looking for.

14. Bilby

This happens all the time in non-fiction book publishing. Occasionally someone a truly original book is published and many copy cat books follow. Some of these books are often quite well written and if written years later maybe more up to date.

15. Bilby

16. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Alicia Bay Laurel's Living on the Earth was a source of tidbits.

Mel Bartholomew's Square Foot Gardening
    Lasagna Gardening was useful, too.

Anyone have a good source for learning to sharpen knives and tools? I've been using the knife sharpening (not honing) from Ed Brown's Tassajara Cooking, but I think I'm too heavy handed.
    Video with voice over especially appreciated. (Having auditory and visual input helps me lock on a new skill)

Cob Building Handbook!

17. drumminmama

To the poster who answered in my profile: thanks but this is a conversation for open forum.

To answer, my knives are pro quality. Not snobbish collector level, because I couldn't see paying that kind of money.

I'm moving soon, and taking my Shun and misen chef knives, and a misen pairing knife. I'll also have my beloved although not pro Kiwi small chef. I like light, fast knives.
    Misen was a Kickstarter I backed. They are Japanese-German hybrids leaning to the speed of Japanese design.

I think my angle is off with a whetstone. I've ground away a blade before. It was a thrift store knife bought for learning sharpening.
    My honing is good enough. So for now, I hone each use, and get them sharpened annually.

18. Bilby

I only put a message on your profile feed as I did not want to make you look inept. It is good that you have professional knives. I have not heard of those brands mentioned. If you are in the market for any more knives I would recommend looking at Victorinox knives. They are made in Switzerland and also make the Swiss Army knives. Also, not as expensive as any of the German ones. A professional vegetable peeler is definitely easier to use than a domestic one.
    The correct angle for honing a knife is an elevation of 20 degrees. I recommend a silicone carbide stone. I don't like aluminum oxide ones. Diamond and whetstones and marble whetstones work but cost more money.
    What I do at work for sharpening a knife is lay the whetstone on a damp , not wet , not dry neatly folded cloth and use washing up liquid and a few drops of water as a lubricant. You can buy mineral honing oil but it just costs more money. Never use vegetable oil as a lubricant. Depending how blunt you knives are you just have to keep at it. There are some Youtube videos of using a whetstone.
    At home I use a stationary belt sander.It must be bolted down at bench height.Use a fine grit belt. The cheap ones are not that expensive. Preferably use the underside of the belt to it will form against the contours of the blade. If the blade starts to heat up, take over to the sink and run under cold water.
    If you want to get that fine new knife edge that will cut through that overripe home grown tomato, this is what to do.
    1. Get the knife to rough sharp stage . It is no use doing the following on the following with a blunt knife.
    2. Get a second hand leather belt from a charity shop a cut a 12" section out of it .
    3. Find a piece of wood the same width as the belt bub a couple of inches longer.
    4. Glue the leather belt to the wood , shiny side up.
    5. Use a G-cramp to hold the wood to the edge of a bench.
    6. Smear some Autosol metal polish ( from an auto accessory shop).
    7. Hold the knife against the leather at 20 degrees elevation gently push . About five strokes both sides. You can feel that last bit of metal coming off.
    8. Clean the knife of any metal polish.
    Never put kitchen knives through the dishwasher. Carefully wash by hand. I prefer to store kitchen knives on a magnetic strip on the wall.

1 person likes this.
  19. drumminmama

Misen makes their knives at 15 degrees. They are emphatic about that and sharpening! They also suggest whetstones at a few different grit grades.
    The Shun and Kiwi are typical 20 degree angles.

I use a steel at each knife use (or daily for the workhorse). Would plain mineral oil (I have it for board and spoon butter) work on the stones?

No dishwasher. Knives get dried immediately. Everything else air dries, so that is "special."

I looked at, and almost got, Victorinox based on the SA knife rep.
    I believe my set is complete, and if I'm lucky, BIFL. Or at least buy it for my life.

20. Bilby

You could probably use mineral oil for a whet stone.If you are going to use a diamond stone then they are used dry.