Silly rebuttals.

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by TheGratefulPhish, Apr 2, 2014.

1. TheGratefulPhish

TheGratefulPhish Member

I've recently entered the world of vegetarianism and I love it. Yet my family seems to want to try to change that. Not because they are concerned about my health, but because they can't wrap their simple minds around someone not eating meat/not wanting to kill an animal. This isn't true for all of them, just those on my father's side. My mother has been extremely supportive but my father and the rest of those related to him (stereotypical rednecks) aren't. My father is getting married very soon and of course wants me to come to the wedding. Can't wait for what they all say to me when it comes time to eat, things like "god put animals on this planet for us to eat" and "for every animal you don't eat I'll eat three" and so on so forth. What should I say back without being overtly disrespectful?

2. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I've found that it is often best to say nothing at all. Don't argue, just keep on eating a well balanced vegetarian diet, and they will watch their preconceived notions and silly stereotypes shatter. There is no room to be disrespectful if you just smile and nod.

On the other hand, if someone asks you a question because they are genuinely curious, then answer them. I think it's best to come across as articulate and intelligent, and prepare factual answers to common questions. People will take you more seriously, and they will eventually leave you alone.

Few things turn people off to a plant-based diet more than people who are pushy about their views.

Lead by example! :)

3. TheGratefulPhish

TheGratefulPhish Member

Thank you :)

4. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

All the folks that called me a health food nut back in the day--------------------are dead. Such a simple thing as being different than the mainstream in most any situation, brings out a conservative response. I shrug and " it's a personal choice. I do have that right don't I?" YEAH, BUT----you always get that.

5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

"Wow don't the bride and groom look happy?"
    "Have you tried the cake?"

In other words, don't do it at the party.

6. Sallysmart

Sallysmart Raynstorm Serenade

I am not a vegetarian but I eat less meat then I did years ago, supplement for the nutrients you might lose and if they question you tell them you supplement where needed and don't bother arguing with them just let them know you are taking care of yourself and you feel much better, and end it by saying as said above,,, "Love that cake, tried any yet?" or "Love that dress you are wearing" if that don't work tell the bitch it's the same one you got at Value Village last year for ten bucks,,, just kidding.
    Anyway it's not a big deal if you make sure you are getting the stuff meat does give us that isn't found in Veggies.
    And remember, if you go back to meat later do it slowly, some people have bad gut issues when changing back. Bits in a casserole would be a good start, that's all I eat it on usually anyway sept for a steak dinner tonight because BF came over and BBQed a steak dinner for me today,,, ITs my Birthday,,, wooohooo! I am a whole day older then I was yesterday! And now the bastard is gone home because he has to get up early and work till about 9pm tomorrow, sunaBitch work sucks! Might bring him a supper tomorrow, will have to be meat because he is a meat eater.

7. tommeem1

tommeem1 Members

I'm actually the opposite of you.

I feel like such a douchebag when I tell people I'm a vegetarian. I always think of those scenes in movies or shows of a social get-to-together, where there is this person serving finger food and then someone says without even looking at the platter, "No, I'm a vegetarian" or vegan in other cases. Or scenes in movies or shows where the character that is vegetarian or vegan, is s "cliche hipster" or "dirty hippie". So, instead of thinking about how offensive they are to me I think about how offensive I must be to them.

This situation is just as difficult for them as it is for you because food is a big part of life. So, I can see how it can cause emotional turmoil for all parties involved, from the overweight person eating a cheeseburger to the underweight person drinking solely water, from vegetarianism to veganism, etc.

I don't think you should be like me and try to avoid the topic altogether, lol. But, I don't know... I'm just saying, it's a lot to deal with for anyone.

8. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

"Go fuck yourself!" usually seems to get the message across rather succinctly. ;)