Siddharta Vs Zarathustra

Discussion in 'Metaphysics, Philosophy and Religion Books' started by nerradhceel, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Purity

Purity Diclonius

You really can't go wrong with either or.

Hesse's Siddhartha is a great book, and you'll want to read and then reread it again later.
    Very good book, but it's calm in nature, as it's fiction, filled with deep moral messages.
    A real page turner, and most people read through it quickly.

Nietzsche's books are a bit heavy on the mind and although they are very good, they are definitely aren't as 'fun' unless you have an active mind.
    Zarathustra is likely one of Nietzsche's more interesting books but it's rare that somebody truly understands Nietzsche without reading all (or most) of his books.

colloquial and ~Zen~ like this.
  2. kinkydoyouloveme

kinkydoyouloveme Members

Theyre both great books. One of my old high school teachers always said you should never start with the masterpieces if youre just getting into a writer or litersture stream. You will be dissapointed by the rest. So start with the less engaging ones, understand what their point of view is and then pull out the heavy guns. Im a Nietzsche fan, but he is not a light read, or smth you can pick up at a park or beach and drop it to start it off some other time. Its a bit hard, and needs focus for you to be able to fully understand (if thats even possible) and enjoy the read

3. Tulsa

Tulsa Members

I read "Siddhartha" many years ago. It is about a young prince who gives up his fortune to become a follower and teacher of God. The beginning of Buddhism. It was interesting. The books that really changed my life were the "Emmanuel" books given by Pat Rodagast. The first three are the old and best ones. I have read and reread and still read those books. Especially Book 2 on Love.

~Zen~ likes this.
  4. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

I just downloaded Herman Hesse's 'Siddhartha' for my ebook reader last week, how coincidental.

I last read it in the 1970s.

5. Tulsa

Tulsa Members

I am not sure I would have read the book except for one of my spiritual friends asked me too. He said Buddhism is the closest to spiritual reality. Close, but no banana.