Sick of technology

Discussion in 'The Future' started by Andy73, May 24, 2004.

1. Andy73

Andy73 Member

I would like to have lived in the 19th century, perhaps as a writer. There's just too much technology today. I wish I could have lived in a time in which I had been able to devout my energies to a profession that was very singular, something over which I could gain a mastery without great interruption from the corporate/baueracratic/technological consumer realities of today.

Of course, I would find much to be pessimistic about in the 19th century also. But I would have time to write about it, and make a living.

Alot of technology has become merely annoying. I personally am avoiding buying a cell phone. It is a bit difficult to resist buying a tv and vcr.

At some point, there may be a move to get rid of lots of different types of technology. Some people eventually may desire to have only computers that allow them to communicate, and they will dispense with all the spreadsheets and databases and whatever other applications come with a computer. A significant portion of the population may begin to move in the opposite direction of the prevailing technological trends, and they will strip from their lives as much technology as they comfortably can. Some of it will be hards to part with, and much of it they will probably keep. Such people will not necessarily be against technology, but they will be keenly aware of that which has distanced them from themselves and created the corporate beauracratic monster that the world has become. These people will not be against the internet or space travel, they will be more sophisticated then those who would just abolish all technology. I can envision cell phones being thrown away computers being simplified, people watching alot less television, stuff like that. I think people are going to realize that they are just becoming totally stressed out with technology, and there will be various efforts to deal with that stress such as getting rid of some of it. I'm beginning to hate computers, but can't think of how I'd live without them.

2. grim_rebel

grim_rebel Member

If anything, i would have liked to devote my life as a samurai. I don't know, i just find that meditative, tranquil life-style extremely appealing. Everything in perfection...

3. drewbee

drewbee Member

Aye! Defend the family honor, and get decapitated if you loose a battle :p

4. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

I'm sick of technology too, but it seems like there's nothing we can seemingly do about it. I was quite pround of the fact I never owned a cell phone back home, and I wish I could've done the same here (but that's very impractical). Techonology has improved the world in many ways, but too much reliance on it isn't healthy. I want to live as simply as possible without overloading myself with technology.

5. joe

joe Banned

Yes that is true, but when men create technology to do even the most simplest task it creates an efficent machine but a lazier fatter man. we shouldnt allow ourselves to prefer machine over persons.

But, what the hell. i would love to be a modern day "Don Quioxte" fighting in the name of chilvary and Justice with my sword and trusty horse "rozinante", an errant drifter .

6. /|\

/|\ Member

i doubt a lazy man could survive in the 18th or 19th century where you had to work hard for food, clothes etc.