shredded wheat cleans your teeth

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by cynthy160, Aug 24, 2013.

1. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

If you're concerned about coconut oil, you should be much more concerned about palm oil. I know you probably don't care :rolleyes:, but if you've eaten any packaged foods or used products such as soap, you've likely used palm oil and contributed in some way to the destruction of habitat.

Not to dismiss the issue of coconut oil and where it comes from, but palm oil is a much bigger issue right now. It's become a main cash crop in the Indonesia area in the past ten years and part of the reason for habitat destruction. In the past decade palm oil has been part of the response to a move away from trans-fats in packaged foods. It's in a variety of mass-produced foods such as margarine, snack foods such as chocolate and cookies, and in numerous non-food items such as cosmetics and soaps. Based on a simple statement of 'don't buy products that destroy habitat', all of these ubiquitous products would also have to be avoided by the consumer in order to avoid habitat destruction, which is next to impossible.

It is easy to gratify one's ego by sticking it to the consumers and blaming them for the problems. The more difficult solution is to require manufacturers to produce these products responsibly in a sustainable manner that doesn't destroy the habitat or cause other environmental problems and do it in a way that is still profitable. That requires legislation and enforcement and some ingenuity on that part of the growers. Also, manufacturers and the public need to know the source of products, which is also difficult when there is an insufficient record of where they originated. Some of the manufacturers of food products aren't even sure of the exact origin of their ingredients such as palm oil.

2. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

There is no price for beauty.

Thanks for the link.

3. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

As long as your hair is styled in the latest fashion, nothing else matters.

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

And since the bornean orangutans are ugly as hell anyway...

5. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

They sure are, they look so much like humans!

6. MattyDigs

MattyDigs Member

I like turtles!

7. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

There's a documentary about it on TV right now.
    The Borneo jungle will be gone in just 15 years :-(
    50% of the wild orangutans are already gone (aka dead). And they are sooo cute :-(

8. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Ever since I met a mother orang utan deep in the jungle with a baby clamped to her chest I am in love with them. And when I saw them making a little hut from branches and leaves high up in the tree to protect them from the rain I realised how clever and human-like they are. It is sad to see that humanity is killing yet another beautiful species. And all of that for some oil that we don't really need only to fulfill our vanity needs.

9. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

There is something like an orphanage for baby orangutans, and apparently it takes whole 12 years for people to teach them what their orangutan mothers were suppose to teach them. And they really are too cute and people-like, you just want to hug them.

10. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

Are you referring to palm oil or coconut oil?

11. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

I think he is thinking palm oil, the documentary I saw was about Borneo and palm oil

12. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Yes, indeed I am.