shows that disappeared into the black hole

Discussion in 'Classic TV' started by shaggie, Jul 23, 2006.

1. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

There was a show called Thrill Seekers around 1973 and 1974 that I've never seen anywhere. It was hosted by Chuck Connors. It was a sort of reality show of people doing high risk activities, such as hang gliding.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069645/

Chuck Connors was also in Dark Shadows and Airplane II. :)

2. HawaiianEye

HawaiianEye Member

Of the shows I've seen on that list most of them are good ,some very good,and a few excellent.---There are a number of shows on that list I never saw such as Red Ryder,Route 66,and Hawaiian Eye:) and a few others.I would love to view them, I've heard they are wonderful shows.--Heck they should only show the classics,and not even make new shows which pale in comparison.--They certainly 'used' to make great television. --I'll also add the following 2 shows ,The Rifleman and Cheyenne,wonderful shows and fortunately they still show those 2.

3. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

Does anybody remember a show called Brimstone. It was created by Chris Carter the guy who created the X-files an Millenium. Peter Gabriel did the theme and the only cast member I remember is Lory Petty. It was about a cop who gets killed and goes to hell. When he does a group of souls gets out so he makes a deal with the Devil to get the would back and when he does he gains his freedom. A part of the gimmic of the show was the cop was covered with Tattoos and each time he got a soul back one of his Tattoos dissappeared.
    Peace Out,
    Rev J

4. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

Vaguely familiar with Brimstone. Sounds like the alter-ego to a show like Highway to Heaven, although "Mine Shaft Out of Hell' might be a more appropriate title.

5. Reverand JC

Another one that was on for one hot minute was called "The Lone Gunmen." It was a spinoff of the X-files. They were Mulders nerdy conspiracy theory buddies. It was on in late 2000 or early 2001. The only episode I can remember because it was so erie was someone hacked into the navigation program on a Jumbo Jet and plotted a course into the World Trade Center. I remember it being on in January or February of 2001.

Peace Out,
    Rev J

6. waukegan

waukegan Member

when things were rotten ,then came bronsen ,mary hartman ,the real mccoys.

7. bubbler211

bubbler211 Member

as far as adam 12 and dragnet it is on the retro tv network every day

8. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

RTN/RTV has good classic programming but also has a history of legal and financial problems.

RTN was available as free-to-air on satellite TV in the U.S. for a few years on the Galaxy 10 satellite, but that came to an end around 2009.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retro_Television_Network

9. dastud

dastud Member

I miss Hill Street Blues.

10. Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale ( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

[​IMG]

Ark II started at the end of`76, then ended in`77. Only 15 episodes, then *poof*.

11. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

That's one big gas guzzling Chrysler behind them. Or, a predecessor to the 90s mammoth SUVs?

We should start a thread called the 'infant mortality shows' (TV shows that lasted only a few weeks then disappeared into the black hole). :)

12. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

You're right they are more difficult to find but there are a few out there [​IMG]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS79sSKm-GA"]YouTube- ABBA 1976 SOS Don Kirshner's Rock Concert NBC oct17

Hotwater

13. TheSongRemainsTheSam

TheSongRemainsTheSam Member

the 4400. I was interested. No one else was I guess

14. hotwater

Are you kidding It had a good run on cable it just played itself out.

BTW: I’ve got all 4 seasons on DVD [​IMG]

Hotwater

15. blackcat666

blackcat666 Senior Member

The Invaders.

www.theinvaders.co.uk/

the 1960's version of The X-Files. in point of fact, The X-Files is a rip off... eh, i mean spin off, of The Ivaders.
    The Invadres never caught on too well, in the country it was made in. (the u.s.a.) it is as big time outside the u.s.a. as star trek is in the u.s.a.
    The Ivaders ran in the same time slot as star trek did back in the 1960's.
    i have never been able to understand what people see in star trek... it sucked in the 1960's, and it still sucks today. :ack2: thats just me though.
    both The Invaders and The X-Files rock, as far as i'm concerned. :cheers2:

16. waukegan

waukegan Member

the ernie kovacs shows, the soupy sales show, sctv, the dave show...funny stuff i used to watch.

17. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

Everyone should learn about Kovacs. He pioneered much of what was on TV in the decades that followed him.

Steven Allen is another TV pioneer who often doesn't get credited for his contributions.

18. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

I used to love all these Nick shows when I was a kid

Sister Sister, Keenan and Kel, Sabrina the Teenage Witch- all that stuff. They don't show anything like that anymore, and I would still watch 'em now :p

Equally, Teen Angel, Boy Meets World and Home Improvements were alright. It's not that I am hugely annoyed that those sort of shows don't get much time anymore, I just hate all this new Disney shit.

High School Musical or whatever, I dunno.

19. Reverand JC

^^ I think it's funny that Keenan Thompson from Keenan and Kel is on Saturday Night Live now. Child actors with kiddie shows don't usually last.

Peace Out,
    Rev J

20. hotwater

Sabrina the Teenage Witch was a pretty good show [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hotwater