Show us your pets!

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by mystik_lilac, Oct 5, 2008.

1. HeyJudeYou'llDo

HeyJudeYou'llDo Guest

These are my puppies, Keeva (the collie) and Kai (the mutt). They're so different and lovely.

2. BareFootHiker

BareFootHiker Member

My buddy Dozer

3. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

4. ScrubPuppy

ScrubPuppy Member

Well, about all he's good for is eating treats, and he's a member of the family...of course.

[​IMG]

5. Shale

Shale ~

This is our first cat named "Tabby" when I was a teen. I was into fotografy even then and got this pic with a Brownie camera. Tabby would often sleep on his head like this. I've never had another cat do that.

[​IMG]

6. junglejack

junglejack aiko aiko

View attachment 53065

My 9 yr old Bochie- -(carin terrier) is blind in 1 eye and 1/2 blind in the other- -its breaking my heart- -3000$$ for an operation ,,and they cant guarantee me he will ever regain all his sight - -
    Anyone have any ideas?? - -Ive been doing every thing possible,,but to watch him try to get around is fucked up...and he never complains,,,

Any helpful ideas are welcome

7. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

What I've heard is that smell is a much more important sense for dogs.

You might want to get a second or other opinion about an operation.

An operation involves not only an expense, but also a risk.

Even if you had the money to throw around, getting an operation might not be a wise choice.

8. newbie-one

You might want to check out a breed specific forum to discuss this
    https://www.google.com/#q=cairn+terrier+forum

or try a more general pet organization like spca or humane society

some vets will offer pet care on a free or sliding scale basis for qualified applicants. A vet that offers free care would not have a financial reason to recommend an operation.

arranging your floor plan so that Bochie will not bump into things might help. If you have stairs in your home, you might want to put one of those child-safe gates across the top.

9. GreenFaerie

GreenFaerie Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

10. RubySoho6

RubySoho6 Organized Chaos

11. junglejack

junglejack aiko aiko

Thanks ,,yeahh,, I put a gate a the top of the stairs,,as he already has come WAy TOO close to taking a major fall....

The cairn,,especially the white ones (not the darker ones,like Toto in the Wiz Of Oz) are very sensitive to allergies and cataracts . Both of which he has,,
    He does have a heightened sense of smell,,but as he sniffs around ,his head is down and he bumps into all kinds of shit,,furniture,,snow banks,, etc,, The vet seys ,yrs ago when we gave him steroids for his severe allergies ,they might have caused the cataracts to get worse (damn steroids!)
    I know they can live long ,happy lives ,,even without sight,,but if possible Id rather take care care of it--- 3 grand is a bit too much>> but if I can find a vet that would do it for 1 grand I would... But he,s got to give me better odds that the operation will be successful

thanks for your concern-
    jack and Bochie- :)

12. GreenFaerie

GreenFaerie Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Sweet! I love pugs!

13. newbie-one

here's some links for getting aid with pet vet care

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html#New_Jersey
    http://www.aplnj.org/Vet-Bill.php

There's a bunch of problems that I can think of with getting an operation

1. Bochie has a more urgent health need later on, but you'll have spent too much money already on the operation

2. Something goes wrong with the operation

3. The operation is useless or of little value

4. The operation is successful, but he has other eye problems later that make the operation useless (I think Cairns have multiple breed-related eye problems)

I'm not sure that a vet will give you better odds while still telling you the truth. Hopefully an impartial vet can give you an unbiased answer.

you're welcome! :sunny:

14. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

PUGNESS....These are both of Einstein...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 sweet parakeets that live here....Sunshine, Ollie and Blueboy....I love Sunshine . He is the pale yellow one in front...He has a blast all day long here swinging on the swing and kicking life into the other two....

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

When I had my cataract operations last summer I had to sign a contract indicating I was aware that I might go blind, among many other possibilities. I forget now what the odds were. Considering myself lucky that all went well.

Personally I would not be able to pay the 3000 or the 1000. Is there any kind of university around you that does vet teaching? When I lived in Ithaca NY my pets went to Cornell for their vet visits and treatments.

16. junglejack

junglejack aiko aiko

The operation is over 3 grand ...without guarantees- - It would hurt my savings- -but if they could guarantee that he would see again ---Id do it -
    Im looking for schools and vets that take payments- - hopefully something will click
    This is Bocci - " kiss" in Sicilian slang
    [​IMG]

Maybe i can get him a seeing eye dog??!!:):(

17. Sallysmart

Sallysmart Raynstorm Serenade

I can't show you my dog, would have to kill you then.

Kidding, I would love to, she is a Black Russian Terrior, bred in the USSR days as a war dog from 20 different breeds and she looks like a huge schnauzer sort of with the moustache, beard and long eye brows and lots of hair. This site won't let me post pics for some reason on my iPad so I can't even post her in my profile. Have tried many times.

18. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

Bocci is such a cute dog. I think there is a kids book about a dog with a seeing eye dog. I can't remember the title though.

Wishing you both all the best.

19. Bunnielight

Bunnielight Member

My pretty bear, Simba. He's so much fun and such a cuddle bug.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

<3 Bunnie

20. Bunnielight

Bunnielight Member

[​IMG]

I couldn't resist. His face is too funny here.

<3 Bunnie