Show Us the Carnage from the Mass Shootings!

Discussion in 'Anarchy' started by skip, Feb 17, 2018.

1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

There is suddenly a movement afoot, demanding the release of images from the scenes of mass shootings in America. After the recent event in Florida where 17 high school students and adults were murdered, young people are finding their voices, which are being carried by mass media, in a groundswell of support for gun control.

And now more wisened, old folks are calling for the release of photos and video of the crime scenes where multiple people were murdered. The logic used is the effectiveness of such horrific images on public awareness of the true nature of these events. They compare their request to images of the Vietnam War that were seared into America's collective consciousness and the resulting widespread call for an end to the war.

Those pictures were highlighted in a recent Ken Burns documentary about the Vietnam War. Everyone who lived thru that time remembers the naked girl whose skin was burning from a napalm attack by US forces, as well as the South Vietnamese officer shooting a spy in the head in the middle of a street.

The effect of such images that touch the soul and never forgotten, can move a whole nation to a new path. Let's see it happen, for the children of America to live free from fear.

More on Slate: It’s Time to Show the Carnage of Mass Shootings

2. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It's effective and sends a very strong message. People will disagree and say that it's too much, but I'm a firm believer that this is needed, and it's needed now.

djinx, Asmodean, skip and 1 other person like this.
  3. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I agree, but out of consideration for those people killed and injured, images are often banned from the media, although the horror of the reality would send out a graphic message to those who think that any idiot should have a god given right to own a gun.

skip and Eric! like this.
  4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I agree, I think it is needed.

I guess my only complaint would be that it may cause some level of desensitization.

Teenagers across the country are also planning a nationwide walk out on 4/20, the anniversary of Columbine, in an attempt to draw attention to the issue of gun control. I applaud them.

Gun control advocates have finally grown teeth. I hate it took another tragedy for it to happen but I'm glad to see it .

djinx, juggawatta, Lynnbrown and 3 others like this.
  5. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Let's not forget the effect the images of Abu-Gharaib prison where Americans tortured innocent Iraqis.
    That turned Americans against that War, but it still took years to end it... oh wait, we're still there!

I would expect the media to censor the images somewhat, blurring out the faces or identifying features. It would be worse for the families of those killed to see, but seeing is believing, and hiding such images is not in the public interest, when so many lives are at stake!

And remember too, that many of these mass murderers learned how to kill and kill again via video games. These too impact young people in ways nobody wants to acknowledge. They not only teach that mass killing is acceptable, but required as part of a "game".

So for kids to actually see what their cohorts look like when mowed down by an AR-15, might make them look at their video games and the consequences in a different light. Esp. when they couid just as easily be on the receiving end.

Violence in games desensitizes young people to what such violence really creates. It's time they find out.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    juggawatta and Eric! like this.
  6. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

It will never work. It may offend someone. That's a NoGo in this country.

7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Ya'all will get desensitized to it within months

Mustard Tiger likes this.
  8. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Just do it. It works.

[​IMG]

9. Asmodean

If it would go on continuously without people wanting to stop it maybe. It will cause a row. It is much needed.
    Some people need to be rubbed with their nose in the shit they help causing.

juggawatta likes this.
  10. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

I think they should pass a law that any legally owned gun used in a mass shooting shall require the NRA to attend each funeral of each victim. Or better yet make them legally have to pay for each funeral service.

That avoids attempts to legislate gun control.

RainyDayHype likes this.
  11. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

What makes you think they feel any differently now. Many have suggested that it's time to put some controls on long before this. The problem is the politicians that represent them.

12. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Skip, if you show pics of actual bodies what is that going to do to the poor conspiracy theorists who think all these were staged?

Make room in the mental wards.

13. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I follow the logic, but I don't think I would be clicking. I don't like violence. That type of gore satisfies some kind of morbid curiosity. I think it accesses a primal instinct deep within the psyche. I'm not sure I want to be in touch with that part of my psyche, lol.

I feel emotional when I look at pictures of the victims though. That's really tragic.

I agree with a social movement gaining traction wholeheartedly, but I'll leave the releasing of crime scene photos to someone else.

kushkush, RainyDayHype and juggawatta like this.
  14. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I just mean that the movement for more gun control seems to be gaining a lot of momentum.

Those politicians that represent us are elected. Vote wisely y'all!

15. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

It always does after these events. After SandyHook I was sure something would change. Popular Prez, fairly affluent and educated families of victims.

Nope they got nowhere.

If that test failed, I can't see any better avenues in my mind. Sad.

16. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

As long as it isn't sensationalized and used to boost ratings, I see merit in this. However, what they need to stop showing is the killer. We shouldn't even know his name. These guys all end up being folk heroes for some truly deranged individuals.

MochaMood, skip and Eric! like this.
  17. Asmodean

Yup.

I'm not sure. Conspiracy nuts are also disturbing at times. They always go crazy when simple facts are kept out in the news. It may of course depend on the details. If a culprit looks really pathetic/hard to glorify I'd say show it.

18. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

If, forbid, a picture of any of my people shot and bloody was shown on TV----I'm afraid I might have to take action. Don't know what kind--but something would happen. And of course I remember all the carnage during the useless Viet Nam, Anti-Domino action and it was fuckin'horrible. But I get the point. I'm just wondering if ANYTHING will or would deter the blood lust of american society.

kushkush and wilsjane like this.
  19. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Can you think of one school mass shooting from before Columbine was all over the news?

juggawatta likes this.
  20. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I remember when in high school going to the auditorium every spring to view auto safety films such as Mechanized Death.
    I remember girls passing out watching them.

Seems to me we could have those again in relation to shootings.