Should women have equal rights?

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by Luvrgrl, May 8, 2004.

1. Megara

Megara Banned

i believe we have paternity leave here in the US(or maybe its on a per company basis), but my brother in law took a month off when my niece was born.

Now, if i was an employer, i would see the same problem you said. How can i hire a woman to a chief position if she may become pregnant and have to leave for 6+ months? That puts the whole company at a disadvantage and if i'm the one doing the hiring, its my butt on the line if the person i hired isnt up to par(of course no one can be fired for a woman getting pregnant). But should a woman who has taken maternity leave once, twice, three times or however many times advance as fast/far a woman who hasnt or a man? Same with paternity leave. Should a man who takes 6 months off advance as fast/far as a woman who doesnt? To me, having kids is another sacrifice. I dont think its fair to the people who arent taking the leave that people who are advance in their career as fast as them

2. Shakra

Shakra Member

If a sterile women was the best person for the job, would she be given a senior executive position within her chosen field where a vacancy was open?

Or do you think a less capable man would instead get the position?

Is it the possibility of a woman falling pregnant that stops them from getting the recognition and promotion they may deserve, or the actual act of them falling pregnant?

If fathers were suddenly forced to remain out of employment for the same period as the recovering mother of a newly born child (that time would include the latter stages of pregnancy through to when the child was of an age to receive independent child care) would this then re-address the balance between men and women in positions of senior authority?

Would this even be feasible, given the costs to the parents, their employers, and/or the state in general?

I agree that those who don't put the effort in shouldn't get the rewards, however is it fair to penalize only the mother of a child, simply because it is she who must physically give birth to it?

After all does it not take both man and woman to create a child? Thus why should one be penalized over the other? If men by rights should be entitled to paternity leave of the same duration that women are entitled maternity leave (as I think they should by national/federal law, regardless of what state they live in or what employer they work for), then should not women be entitled to the same levels of success in the workplace as men?

What do you guys think?

3. Megara

Megara Banned

if a man opts for paternity leave...i'd agree that he should be "penalized" like a woman who take maternity leave. However, men should not be forced to take it so that women who do can advance at the same rate.I dont know if a sterile woman would advance as fast as a man. THere are so many factors involved.

Honestly, i cant blame employers who dont give women the most important jobs.....who can really afford to have to retrain someone for 6 months to a year when you have deadlines to meet. It sucks, but thats gods/biology/evolution/whatevers fault.

4. retrofishie

retrofishie Senior Member

everyperson that has posted in this thread needs to read the book 'the gate to woman's country' by sheri s tepper, i read it for a school project and it was hard to get into but it deals with all this stuff and i love it, you have to read it!!!!

5. feministhippy

feministhippy Member

I was talking about the other person. I do believe that woman should be drafted.

6. Digital Underpants

Digital Underpants Member

You have a warped view of reality dude.
    Only a man could say such a thing as women were'nt discrimated against.
    And it still is happening equality is about more then what sex you are it is about freedom to do what you choose when you can't express your freedom because it is unlawful for a women then you are discriminated! I have seen first hand that men get more pay .It has happened to me.It shitty.

7. Megara

Megara Banned

who said anything about women not being discriminated against? Women were terribly discriminated against. One group in a long, long list of people who have been discriminated against by America.

8. jiimaan

jiimaan Banned

An infinite number you say? I don't think so. Feminists have argued incessantly that ability is based on socialization, and if women have been socialized to perform certain tasks, then clearly they will be better at those tasks than me who have not been socialized to perform them. So your argument's a tad hypocritical.

Men and women exist in order to reproduce. That's how the human species has evolved. It has nothing to do with balance. That's just New Age twaddle derived from Eastern Philosophies, which, incidently, are strongly patriarchal, and, therefore, according to Feminists, inherently misogynistic.

9. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

He said......."twaddle".......snork! :D

10. peaceful420

peaceful420 Member

WHY would anyone doubt the fact that women should have equal rights, just like men? Women can't even get car insurance under their own policy if they're married. Why does society treat us like we're inferior? I think we should look back at history and learn from our mistakes, especially the mistake of viewing us as inferiors to men. We have brains, and all of us have the decency to stand up for women, and I don't see why all of us don't. The US, supposedly the most "free" and "open" country, needs to shape up on the whole equality thing. That's what we're lacking right now, and it's just a damn shame.