Should women have equal rights?

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by Luvrgrl, May 8, 2004.

1. dotadave

dotadave Member

Not yet.....

2. Jetblack

Jetblack Senior Member

personally i dont think women SHOULD have some of the same rights as men simply because they dont have the ability to do the things guys do in some cases

3. Megara

Megara Banned

i must ask this though...what privilege do i have as a male that a female does not have here in the United States(or other western nations)? I can go topless in public?

4. daysye

daysye dumb as a box of hammers

people have this notion that women are weaker than men....but i want to say something that everyone has said at one point and time in their life....woman are the ones that carry the child because emotionally, mentally, and physically a man can not do it....a womans pain tolerance is greater than a mans....as for the advantage of being a man over a woman.....men are looked at as people and woman are looked at as a dutiful servant....and yes another one is that you can go topless in public....or you can actually run for president and possibly get elected, where as a woman can not because we are too weak of a gender to be able to be a good president.....

5. Megara

Megara Banned

i doubt that i have a chance of being a president. The great american idiom that we can all be president is baloney and you know it. Very few people actually have a chance to be president. I have about 0%.

I dont know where you get the ntion that women arent seen as people but as servants. I sure dont look at every woman and go "haha, you slave!"

I wont get into the bit about pregnancy. Women biologically have the capability and therefore have to deal with pregnancy. Men dont. If the roles were reversed..who knows how it turn out. Though, i'd presume that men would learn to deal like women have.

As for the topless part? Come on, in american society, breasts are sexual. There is no question about that. If we allow breasts in public places, we may as well allow people to walk around naked.

6. daysye

daysye dumb as a box of hammers

the only reason that nudity is such a big deal is because people make it one.....

7. dotadave

dotadave Member

Well, it goes a little beyond that. Nudity IS a social construct that's grown into a taboo but its conection with sex or 'sin' is so deeply hardwired into our minds from the begining that its not simply people "just making a big deal out of it."

I can see where the nudist are comming from though. I wouldn't mind being one if I could get past my masculne tendancy to wear my emotions on my crotch.

The solution is to make it legal for women to go topless wherever its appropriate for men to go topless. I mean, really, how often do you walk around outside without a shirt on? It's not like you go to a funeral naked*.

*well, unless you're going to the funeral of someone really into the skyclad wiccan thing B)

Care to rephrase? You're not very clear or concise.

One of the privledges men have over women is that I can have the traits that make someone a good leader: ambition, bossyness, strength, ecetera but a woman cannot without being seen as a bitch. There is still a glass cieling for this reason. Census records that show increasing number of women in the "top White Collar" category are often cited to "disprove" this but upon closer inspection, women are not rising very far beyond management. The error is due to CEO's being lumped together with certain levels of management.

8. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Such as?

That is of course a major stereotype. Everyone has individual strengths and weaknesses that do not relate specifically to gender.

There are of course an infinite number of things women are better at that men. Does that therefore mean that women should be better than men.
    Didn't think so.

That is why there are men and women in the world, to create a balance (yin and yang if you will) this does not make one better than the other.

TTFN
    Sage

9. sky_pink

sky_pink er... what's the time?

If everyone went around naked, sex would be a lot less fun, that's all I have to say.

When it was improper for women to reveal ANYTHING, their ankles were erotic. Perhaps that's overdoing it, but I would still like for SOME parts of the human body to remain erotic.

10. Shakra

Shakra Member

What is power today? You could argue that it’s many things, but I think that most people would agree that in today’s world power is money and that the richer the nation the more powerful it is.

So why is physical strength an issue when it comes to power?

Is George Bush a physically strong man? Is that why he is the most powerful man in the world? Because he is physically the strongest? No.

Certainly historically physical strength did play some part in determining power, but so did intellectual strength. Soldiers may have fought wars, but they were won often with the help of tactics, which required thought more than muscle, and by the use of advanced weaponry and fighting techniques over less advanced foes, again requiring technological superiority (usually gained from using ones mind power) rather than physical superiority.

So if physical strength is no longer an issue when it comes to power, why is it still used as a means of division between men and women as regards the statement ‘Women cannot do some of the things that men can do?’ and equality?

One can equally say ‘Men cannot do some of the things the women can do’ so what is the point of either of these statements?

Are they both true? Yes.

Does the fact that they are both true mean that one gender is ‘better’ than the other? No.

So if one is not better than the other, then why shouldn’t both be equal even if they are different?

Also what rights should a man have that a woman should not, and does this mean that a woman should have certain rights that a man should not, and if so would you then still consider that equality?

And if you don’t consider that to be equality, then what is it that a man can do that a woman cannot that justifies a woman’s status as a second class citizen – and by default, by stating that women should not have equal rights, that is what they would be unless of course you are implying that women should have superior rights over men (which I doubt, but just in case, what is the justification for this?)

Jetblack wrote:

[font=&quot]
    [/font]

11. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

When I grow up Imma meet a really nice guy and have like ten kids. I'll cook and clean and let my husband take care of the money. You know, cause us womyn aren't good with money. I'm happy as long as I get a nice kitchen and a man that tells me I'm beautiful. Whoa hold on just joking....I don't know what came over me.

12. Megara

Megara Banned

you dont want your man to tell you that you are beautiful? :p

13. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

Like what, for instance? What can men do that womyn don't have the ability to do? And, what rights should we not have?

14. Megara

Megara Banned

pee standing up and not look silly

15. feministhippy

feministhippy Member

Easy- it's cheaper. Capitalism is fun, isn't it?

16. feministhippy

feministhippy Member

I think you can tell my feelings on this particular topic by my board name.

17. feministhippy

feministhippy Member

Yes, cause that's something I'm really interesting in doing one of these days.

18. Megara

Megara Banned

its called a joke

19. feministhippy

feministhippy Member

I know. I was joking too. I didn't mean to sound like a bitch if I did. ;)

20. WaitingForTheSun

WaitingForTheSun Member