Should we be more afraid of people's priorities than the virus?

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by phil1965, May 15, 2020.

1. phil1965

phil1965 Senior Member

Personally, I think we should, several things have come out as a result of the pandemic, and I'm sad to say most of them have not been positives.
    People moaning because McDonalds is closed, or the pub, or the gym, people who seem incapable of staying at home and following advice, like the girl up the road from me, she got all upset when the police turned up and ruined her barbecue party for her and about 10 friends!
    Or the two women who visited the food bank six times in one day, no doubt selling the food to buy drugs.
    Idiots who first of all went into panic mode and stripped the supermarket shelves, then spent ages staring at shelves moaning "oh no, they've no Walkers cheese and onion crisps, whatever shall we do?" well buy Golden Wonder or move on, we're in the middle of a crisis for fucks sake!
    It has both amazed and saddened me just how wrong people's priorities are these days, I know you may not like a particular brand of bread, but if it's that or nothing then you take it. I like going to the pub occasionally to meet a friend, but I don't complain, I can't go end of, no amount of whinging is gonna change that, so why moan?
    People go on about things like how we coped during WW2, well I think people were vastly different then, they had their priorities right, food was food, you ate it, you didn't bitch and whine because it wasn't what you wanted, but now nobody cares, I saw one couple loading their trolley with tinned spaghetti hoops, they really wanted baked beans, but they were all sold, then they got all upset when told they could only have 3 tins, not 3 cases. What's wrong with people today, they are self first, self, last, and sod everyone else, how very sad!

scratcho, Eric!, Wibby and 2 others like this.
  2. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The seeds were sown when that evil bitch Thatcher (phth, phth, phth) told us all "there's no such thing as society".

3. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

they've been sold a lifestyle by greedy corporations. they've been brainwashed into being consumers first, people second.
    most of us don't even realise how insidious these corporations can be... brand addicting us, appealing to our primitive tribal brains..
    urging us to DEFINE ourselves by the brands we buy.
    so a scenario like this makes people feel they are losing themselves, what makes them, them. And a lot won't even realise this because advertising works best when it worms into the subconscious.

scratcho, Irminsul, Eric! and 2 others like this.
  4. phil1965

phil1965 Senior Member

One of the things I've always refused to do is become a slave to fashion or trends, I wear something because it's comfortable, or practical, or ideally both, not because it's 'cool' or 'trendy', I've always been like that, why spend £50 on a pair of jeans just because they have a logo on them, now if they were resistant to oil, grease, paint, or ripping then I might buy them, but pay a load extra for a logo, I don't think so!
    It just shows how stupid a lot of people have become with this stuff, if I want the name of my company displayed on the side of a bus, or on a big billboard at the side of the road, then I have to pay somebody to do it, so why do people pay silly amounts of money to wear a pair of pants or a jumper with Nike, Addidas, or Lacoste on, it beats me.

Wibby and mysticblu21 like this.
  5. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Just be glad to have an immunity to it : )
    I agree. A brand only gains meaning with me if I know it to be a guarantee of high quality OR good environmental practise.

phil1965 likes this.
  6. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Good posting: In simple terms.
    Guidance and not direction (i.e. Law and legal requirement) is a cop out.
    The economy needs to get back on track quickly - and provision of cash for furloughing isn't coming out of the (Tory) Government's pocket.- It will mean higher Tax to be paid - sooner rather than later.
    By saying Guidance, they are left-shouldering onus of responsibility and putting it onto the General public (so it's our fault if it goes 'Pear[shaped')
    Also, without a vaccine (because it is not a fully identified delivery system) covering all bases by saying "Stay calm. do nothing" is just a generality.
    And another thing: Clapping for the NHS is no substitute for the lack of funding for Public services - and when this period does end, do not be surprised if and when habits (and excuses!) re-occur
    IMO

phil1965, Eric! and mysticblu21 like this.
  7. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Yeah I buy Barbour because If i want to go out in all weathers (which I tend to ) its not going to let me down !

phil1965 likes this.
  8. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

This is right on,..in the US as well as where you are. We have whole classes of people thrown under the bus because they get in the way of greed. The effort in the Us to fight the virus at the national level is a cruel joke. Selfish ignorant trump-zombies in Wisconsin crowded into bars and saloons after a misguided state Supreme Court decision. What do you think next week will bring in terms of covid cases for that state?

phil1965 likes this.
  9. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

trouble is when a brand starts out good quality.. gets a good reputation.. then goes downhill in quality but we all keep paying for the name!

phil1965 likes this.
  10. phil1965

phil1965 Senior Member

True, years ago a pair of Hunter wellingtons would set you back about 80 quid, but they'd last for years, now they start at about 80 quid and you're lucky to get a year out of them. When I was doing the stables most of the girls had them, they were really good, then when they started making all the colours they changed the material they made them from and they went nasty.
    I knew a girl who had a pink pair, she'd had them for years and they were all dirty, but they were still fine, another girl bought a pink pair and they split up the back withing a couple of months, another girl bought a red pair, they split in the same place within weeks, cutting a long story short, several girls bought them and without exception, they all split in the same place within a few months, and they were all different colours, so it has to be the base material that;s wrong, not just a particular colour. I've even heard loads of people now who don't recommend them, so whatever Hunter has done, probably using cheaper materials to maximise profit, has backfired rather spectacularly.

Driftrue likes this.
  11. WOLF ANGEL

Now the Pub doors have been thrown open, Cafes serving food, Flights now available, let's see how long it'll take before - the drunks hit the streets, Obesity increases and the Clearer air that there has been is once more polluted.
    So often it is the case that lessons of history are lost, and the gratitude to/of the NHS is forgotten = So Sad

12. Vladimir Illich

You're somewhat late with that - where were you last evening when the blond khazi mop head said the pubs could re-open and they did, causing lots of rowdy drunken incidents up and down the country !!!

‘Crystal clear’ drinkers will not adhere to social distancing rules

PA
    Jul 5th 2020 12:35AM
    Drunk people are unable to properly socially distance, the chairman of the Police Federation has said as pubs reopened in England for the first time since lockdown.

John Apter said it was "crystal clear" revellers would not adhere to the one metre plus rule as restrictions were eased on Saturday.

[​IMG]
    106 PHOTOS
    Coronavirus impacts Britain
    See Gallery
    Professor Chris Whitty said the pandemic "is a long way from gone" and urged the public to follow social-distancing rules as pubs and restaurants reopened.

What was crystal clear is that drunk people can't/won't socialy distance. It was a busy night but the shift managed to cope. I know other areas have had issues with officers being assaulted. Now heading home, to those still on shift please stay safe.

— John Apter (@PFEW_Chair) July 5, 2020

But images from London's Soho showed packed streets into the early hours of Sunday.

Mr Apter, who was on shift in Southampton where he dealt with "naked men, happy drunks, angry drunks, fights and more angry drunks", said: "What was crystal clear is that drunk people can't/won't socially distance.

"It was a busy night but the shift managed to cope. I know other areas have had issues with officers being assaulted."

There was disorder in north Nottinghamshire too, where four people were arrested and several pubs decided to close after alcohol related anti-social behaviour.

A major easing of lockdown measures in England saw pubs, restaurants, hairdressers and cinemas opening their doors again under modified social distancing regulations.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Government experts urged people to stick to the rules to avoid creating a second wave of coronavirus.

Speaking on Friday, Prof Whitty said: "None of us believe, and I'm sure nobody watching this believes, this is a risk-free next step. It is absolutely not, that is why we have to be really serious about it.

"There's no doubt these are environments whose principal job it is to bring people together, that's a great thing to do socially but it's also a great thing from the virus's point of view.

"Therefore, we do have to have a really clear and really disciplined approach to try and maintain social distancing whilst also enjoying pubs."

13. WOLF ANGEL

I was at home,- before starting an early shift to mop up the consequences of what had already begun weeks ago by a general public that does not seem to comprehend both guidance and direction.
    - Thanks for asking

14. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Humans have been found to be very easy to manipulate , especially by those that NEED and want endless amounts of money and power. I believe once one can accept this basic premise, true understanding of how the world works becomes easy. There are, I also believe, other ways the economic and social systems could work worldwide for the betterment of all sentient beings. ---------NEVER HAPPEN.

15. soulpoker

soulpoker Senior Member

Somebody must want people to get sick if they're spreading rumors that wearing a mask is some kind of communist plot. I'm not kidding. Some people in the US literally believe this.

16. phil1965

phil1965 Senior Member

Well it happened, this morning I read that three pubs that opened on Saturday have had to close for a deep clean after being contacted by customers who went in and have tested positive for Covid 19. Now as far as I am aware, and I stand to be corrected on this, you go for a Covid test, they take a swab and it takes several days for the results to come back, it is not done instantly.
    So, these people must have had the test done some days before going to the pub, ergo they must have had some symptoms to make them take the test, yet while waiting for the results to come back they still went out to the pub, potentially not only spreading the disease, but also infecting others!
    These people need to be found and in my opinion thrown in jail for six months, they knew they were potentially ill and yet still put their own personal and selfish desires before the safety of others.

17. Vladimir Illich

Do please keep up with all the news !!! - For weeks scientists have been telling us that some people, although being 'positive' for Covid - 19, have no symptoms whatsoever, so it is entirely feasible that some, if not all of those who have now have the virus, were carriers without knowing it.

18. phil1965

phil1965 Senior Member

So why did they go for the test then, answer me that? I don't know how much if anything you actually know about Covid apart from the crap in the press, but believe me, as someone who is involved with the health service, and may therefore be privy to more information than is widely circulated, you CANNOT, just ask for a Covid test because you want one, you have to have proper reasons /symtoms, so as I said earlier, there are some very selfish people about who are quite happy to put their own desires before the safety of others!

19. Vladimir Illich

Pubs were/still are insisting on both a temperature check and a covid - 19 test, before people are allowed to enter the pub, Given the timing, it is probable that those tests came back positive, necessitating a closure of all three pubs. I expect many more of this will happen in the coming weeks.

20. phil1965

phil1965 Senior Member

No, I think not, the pubs in question were contacted by the people with the ilness, meaning that they had taken it upon themselves to request a test. I don't know where you are living, but in almost all of the UK there is no requirement for pubs to carry out temperature testing of customers and as for a Covid test they can only be performed by NHS services and given the time between taking the test and getting the result would be of no value in the present situation.