Should the death penalty ever be used?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by The_Moroccan_Raccoon, Aug 18, 2008.

1. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i think you've got it right there. do we just want to get our ego jollies by seeing someone killed, and if so, are we any better then any other killer by doing so, or do we really want to reduce the real causes and motivations that are the reason crimes occur?

2. katkin

katkin Member

3. Individual

Individual Senior Member

Absolutely.
    Intentionally, and without any justification, taking the life of another human being.

4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i sort of think it depends on whether there is ever a situation where it is both justified, and actually likely to accomplish anything more then taking vengeance on one person who MAY have committed some horrendous crime. and by that i mean political leaders, regardless of their ideology, who order, and or instigate, genocide. and lets not pussyfoot about words. 'ethnic cleansing' IS genocide.

all of these current disasterous for everyone wars in the middle east, were instigated by three 'men'; rove, rumsfield and cheney. THOSE are the kind of perpitrators, who might reasonably considered candidates for it. no not by lynching, but by fair trial and due legal process.

5. AcesWild

AcesWild Members

I never support the death penalty for any reason.

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I think the death penalty should be used for anyone serving 10+ years. If they're deemed unfit for social life for a whole ten years, as far as I'm concerned they aren't fit to be around me at all.

*flicks the switch*

7. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

That is interesting and something to think about.

I have a relative serving time for murder he committed in 2007. I will be 74 years old when he is released, if he serves all his time. I know he will want to see me. I won't be surprised if he tries to get me to let him stay with me. I think the rest of the family will turn him away. I am torn as to whether I'd trust his temper even after all that time, especially if he was under the influence as he was when he committed the murder.

1 person likes this.
  8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I know some old school folks that are in jails for random things.

Armed robbery.
    Gang bashing.
    Coward punching people.

I believe in some sort of rehabilitation, but I'm also going to stick up for the good ol' American tax payer here because it's your country that seems to have the most inmates and jails, or what I get to read anyway. And every time if read a review of the current costs to house inmates I'm always left shocked at the price.

I guess some people warrant a right to get out and live life, but every one of those jails in the documentaries about Hard Time etc. I wouldn't let any of them out, or keep them alive. You don't get to go to these places for silly misdemeanors I don't think. These people have been very nasty to civilized people and they never gave a thought about what they did or how it would effect their family so why should I have to sit here and offer my condolences to them and forgive them and offer some sort of rehabilitation?

I wouldn't let them suffer at all. I'd make no big deal about it. Wouldn't even let the executioners look 'em in the eye. Drag 'em out, put 'em down. Watch these big men fight like lions, watch 'em go like lambs.

9. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Thirty-five years in prison...He'd probably rather have been executed except for fear of going straight to Hell.

I didn't plead for his life but I answered the questions his "advocate" asked me.

He did have a troubled upbringing.

Addiction/Alcoholism does run in the family.

Domestic Violence ran in his family.

He could have possibly faced the Death Penalty but he got Second Degree Murder.

10. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

I favor the death penalty if it is applied equally.

11. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

There are so many people wrongfully accused and convicted every day. Do you support them possibly being killed too?

12. Jenny40

Jenny40 Members

Yes.

Never.

Capital punishment does not deter crime and the death penalty is applied at random. If one innocent person is executed that is a just reason to not use capital punishment. I have heard all the blow off people saying "yeah, well if one innocent person is executed it is ok if we get it right 99% of the time". That is, until it is them lying on the bench with needles in their arms, an innocent victim about to be put to death.

13. slipperyhippy

slipperyhippy Guest

I agree with you for the same reasons. Here in the US we get it wrong frequently and we know that we have sent innocents to their death. Also I think it is dangerous to give the State the power of execution. Might be a nation of laws today but you never know where things are heading especially here in the US which is veering closer to fascism with every election cycle.

14. Jenny40

Jenny40 Members

Agree with you totally. WE are the State and if the State executes we are part of that process. I'm watching the Republican nomination process with a dropped jaw most of the time. Many of my friends here in Europe are thinking along the lines of "is this serious?"

15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

shadow of a doubt is a reasonable test, as there is almost never not one.

16. texasafterdark

texasafterdark Members

The death penalty is a needed past of the society of law here...Criminals who have been determined to die should not be allowed to sit in prison for 12 years on death row(average length in Texas) before their execution...That costs money in taxes, paid for by the people...All death row cases should be fact checked if there is a doubt since there have been innocent people released off of their sentences..A handful of the many thousands are innocent...It should be arrest, trial, verdict, sentencing, and after a short appeal window, death if that's the determination....

17. shur-y-not

shur-y-not Members

Without reading this thread.
    People who intend to kill others for no apparent reason or for their own gain should be put to death.
    Child rapists should be put to death too.
    No life sentence. A bullet to the head. Done.

YES!

18. roccobkln

roccobkln Members

None. You can’t have it both ways.

Deidre likes this.
  19. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

I can't say I have any issue with serial killers & serial sex attackers etc being executed.

20. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

It should absolutely be used.