Should Prostitution be Legal?

Discussion in 'Sex Polls' started by foxydave, May 16, 2013.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I'm ok with that. But its not about bringing the numbers down. It's about getting rid of the abuse and all the malpractices.

What about the health risks? Can you be more specific with your question?

2. Kerri

Kerri Members

Many stds including hiv do not produce a positive test until many weeks or months have past since the initial infection. During that time the carrier who will test clean is contagious and can transmit the disease. Is that a public health issue for you? It is imo

1 person likes this.
  3. Asmodean

I guess you mean to ask if it will go down if prostitution is legalized. Well, if its done right you have less prostitutes offering unprotected sex. The prostitutes have more opportunity to decline unwanted clients. I don't think it will go up if properly legalized and enforced. Sex with strangers always has a potential health risk though, prostitution or not.

4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

1 person likes this.
  5. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I don't care what people decide to do with their lives...not for me to judge...if It does not involve or affect me at all...who cares.

6. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Anything legalized can be regulated, unionized and protected.

7. Asmodean

I don't see how keeping it illegal will change anything for the better. You?

8. Kerri

Kerri Members

I can see how making it legal might make things worse

9. Kerri

Kerri Members

I think if you're looking for the government for meaningful consumer protection then your faith is misplaced

10. Kerri

Kerri Members

Well you could say that for anything. Drinking and driving doesn't affect me if I'm not on the road but that doesn't mean it should be legal.

11. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

That went without saying for me....as of course, I don't condone anyone doing anything that would hurt someone else.....like that.

12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I think legalizing it would be a big step in fighting against human trafficking. If it were legal a regulatory agency could be created to ensure no one is working against their own free will.

1 person likes this.
  13. Noserider

Yeah, but, in places where it is legal, both the consumer and the prostitute are protected by these things.

People in favor of legalizing it aren't speaking hypothetically. There are actual real world results to look at. Plus, there is plenty of evidence to support the opposite: that illegal prostitution is a dirty, dangerous business.

14. Noserider

Also let us not forget pretty much every industry prior to regulation of business practices was horrid.

The days of 12 year old girls--100 to a room--working sixteen hour days for for 50 cents and no lunch break are over. We should make the sexual equivalent of that over too.

15. Kerri

Kerri Members

There is a measure of hypothesis given we don't know what the American would look like at full scale. Lots of variables are different in other countries and the small sample in Nevada.

There are also lots of real-world non-hypothetical examples of government regulations having adverse effects on both consumer and supplier.

I'm also concerned about the potential public health risk of large scale prostitution given current inadequacies in std testing

16. Kerri

Kerri Members

I respect that opinion but the merits of regulation is a real political debate that doesn't have a single universally correct answer. There are certainly highly regulated industries that have failed both consumers and suppliers

The American primary education system is unionized and highly regulated and by many data driven measures is failing.

Our health care system is highly regulated and is among the worst in the world in terms of cost benefit.

Yes regulations and unions dramatically improved the plot of 19th century factory workers but the world has changed

1 person likes this.
  17. Noserider

Then, shouldn't prostitution change as well?

18. Kerri

Kerri Members

Certainly contemporary economics is favoring moving away from unions and has steadily been marching that way for decades.

If you're pro regulation how do you reconcile the std testing? Wouldn't a govt regulator have an issue with the notion that the products safety cannot be verified?

19. Noserider

I wouldn't say I'm pro regulation, so much as I'm pro legalization for a multitude of reasons, one of which is regulation.

I don't trust government to not screw up a cup of coffee. But I would rather they were in control of the prostitution industry than a bunch of seedy misongynistic criminals. That's what criminalizing something does. This is why prohibition failed: it ruled the rise of the American Mafia and made millionaires out of people like Al Capone.

20. Kerri

Kerri Members

Are you okay with the idea that std testing lags infection and contagion by up to 6 months? Would that fall under regulation?