Should our troops be brought home ASAP?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by psychedelic_unclesam, May 29, 2004.

1. psychedelic_unclesam

psychedelic_unclesam Member

If you said NO:

Vote for Bush or Kerry this election.

If you said YES:
    Vote for Kucinich this election.
    http://www.kucinich.us/bringourtroopshome.php

The Plan to Bring Our Troops Home:
    1. The United States must ask the United Nations to manage the oil assets of Iraq until the Iraqi people are self-governing.
    2. The United Nations must handle all the contracts: No more Halliburton sweetheart deals, No contracts to Bush Administration insiders, No contracts to campaign contributors. All contracts must be awarded under transparent conditions.
    3. The United States must renounce any plans to privatize Iraq. It is illegal under both the Geneva and the Hague Conventions for any nation to invade another nation, seize its assets, and sell those assets. The Iraqi people, and the Iraqi people alone must have the right to determine the future of their country's resources.
    4. The United States must ask the United Nations to handle the transition to Iraqi self-governance. The UN must be asked to help the Iraqi people develop a Constitution. The UN must assist in developing free and fair elections.
    5. The United States must agree to pay for what we blew up.
    6. The United States must pay reparations to the families of innocent Iraqi civilian noncombatants killed and injured in the conflict.
    7. The United States must contribute financially to the UN peacekeeping mission.
    8. The United Nations, through its member nations, will commit 130,000 peacekeepers to Iraq on a temporary basis until the Iraqi people can maintain their own security.
    9. UN troops will rotate into Iraq, and all U.S. troops will come home.
    10. The United States will abandon policies of "preemption" and unilateralism and commit to strengthening the UN.

2. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Yes, absolutely!

But I am voting for either Ralph Nader or Gary Nolan, and they also have vowed to bring the troops home.

3. Antimatter235

Antimatter235 Member

First, americans want to the US economy to be improved. With all those opportunities lost and stuff to pay back it will not help (they won't agree).
    Second, most people don't have too high of an opinion of the UN, they certainly don't want they country to lose control to them.
    Finally, knowing the aggressiveness of the iraqis in history (2 examples: 25000 kurdes killed by chemical weapon; 35 SCUD missiles launched against israeli civilans) and lately the sarin gas bomb found by the US. They certainly don't want to leave this place armed and especially not let them get money to be more powerful.

4. LickHERish

LickHERish Senior Member

First off it was only some 5000 Kurds killed, not to mention the niggling facts that 1. It was in the course of a war fully prompted by, funded by and for the vested interests of the US and thus by our OWN routine standards "collateral damage" not genocide (otherwise our own leaders should be packing their bags for the Hgaue as well)...

2. It has long been known that the Halabja claims against Saddam were actually made by the Kurds themselves to their US handlers in order to further their own political ambitions against Saddam (i.e. their ongoing hope for a fractured Iraq and wholly independent Kurdish state (which they will not get so long as Turkey is on their doorstep).

3. Most of Saddams scuds landed innocuously, causing very little real damage to life or property. By comparison, the Patriot Missiles supplied to Israel by the US to defend against the Scuds ended up doing more damage to Israeli property (not reported by mainstream US media for obvious reasons).

4. It was not a bomb, it was one outdated artillery shell and hardly any vindication of the impending threat of massive WMD capability sold to the public to justify full scale invasion which HAS actually killed thousands more innocent civilians.

Its time to put all the bogus fabrications and lies of this illegal invasion into the waste bin along with every claim and soundbite from this corrupt administration. Constant regurgitation of these genocide claims (when in fact we have killed OUR own (unarmed) citizens in the US as well (aka Kent State) as would any government when faced with an armed uprising as was Saddam's regime) only spins one further away from the true underlying aims of the PNAC agenda begun in Afghanistan and Iraq.

5. booshnoogs

booshnoogs loves you

Given the massive amount of curruption in the UN from the Oil for Food program in the first place, asking the UN to manage the oil assets of Iraq seems like an idea beyond stupid to me.

Also, I don't trust the UN to not "cut and run" if major fighting picks up again leaving Iraq in total Chaos. While I don't trust the US to make things right, I imagine that the UN would be worse.

A better system to me would be for the International Press to be granted absolutely unfettered access over the whole thing to serve as a check and balance system over any coalition actions.

6. Eugene

Eugene Senior Member

I don't think we should cut and run just yet, the situation is not that dire, and in fact is probably salvagable. Plus, given the fact that we did invade a country and destroyed any order amongst an ethnically devided, armed populous, we should for humanitarian reasons keep troops there to provide some semblance of order.
    But I tink that the int'l community is going to be a lot more helpful with a president who got stuck with the situation as opposed to someone who created it.

7. 7river

7river on a distinguished path

we need to apologize and leave

leave them the fuck alone

...although we can not just apologize...there is more action needed from our country to show we take responsibility for letting such a unstable man have so much power....which unstable man? bush? cheney? saddam?...we need to make a lot of peace

8. Jozak

Jozak Member

So, you honestly think 7River it's a good idea to bomb and invade a nation then just pack up and leave? I mean, the war happened, the least we can do is make sure we pick up our mess. I would love to hear what some of the people on here would say about us just packing up and leaving

"WE NEED TO HELP REBUILD THEIR SCHOOLS, HOSPITALS, ROADS!!" etc etc. You can't win with some people.

9. 7river

7river on a distinguished path

i don't think our military leaders have the tools to do a proper job of "cleaning up the mess"...and they cannot get these tools from a budget.
    in our hearts, our soldiers hearts, and the heart of the world we know what the us did was wrong. when you have a situation like that, you cannot attempt to be constructive on such a lie. we have already seen the results of the dysfuction and human abuse this has caused.
    it fucks with the mind jozak. plain and simple.

we need to offer our services, but we need the un or other to orchestrate this. we need to except our guilty roll and be at the service of the people, not police them.
    the us should have no power in iraq.
    no authority.
    a soldier with a weapon is authority.
    it will only feed the hatred and dysfunction on both sides.

there is a spiritual goal
    a holistic goal, that is much more important than the economical one.

10. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

this is clearly and completely a no-win situation. if we leave now, we'll be berated for not stabilizing and rebuilding. if we stay, we'll be berated for being there at all. with as much hate for the usa that's over there, it would be extremely naive to think that the usa can rebuild without protecting themselves. what's done is done, and all we can do is try to clean up as best we can, get their country working and running again, then get out. but no matter how we go about it, someone is gonna want kill every american they see.