Should NBA players be able to play in the Olympics?

Discussion in 'Sports TV' started by TroyBoyK, Jun 25, 2012.

1. kokujin

kokujin Senior Member

Subconsciously. I'm sure you lax a bit after the run they've been having. I'm not surprised it almost cost them a game (the off shooting night also didn't help). I'm sure they weren't on their feet as much as they should have been, at the least.

2. PEACEFUL LIBRA

PEACEFUL LIBRA DAMN RIGHT I'M A WEIRDO

yes why not ???

3. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Well it could be considered a sleeper game considering the great game they had prior against Nigeria and the Argentina game up next who is a quality team but Lithuania's style of play seemed to match up well against USA.

The US athletic talent is pretty remarkable but we don't have a significant offensive interior presence and the transition defense seems kind of weak as well. So unless US is hitting 15+ 3 pointers a game some of these games from here on out will probably be closer than some might expect.

4. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

USA dont got any big men.

Since this seems to be the only pro-olympic thread (kind of) anyone see that 15 year old swimmer from usa go into great britains house and whoop that girl from great britaisn arse who was the favorite in the 800 free?? pretty incredible for someone who doesnt even have their drivers license :D

5. LivinAFantasy

LivinAFantasy Member

Why shouldn't they get paid? They generate a whole lot of money for a lot of people, and you don't think they should get a piece? Why would you want them to work for free?

6. Death

Death Grim Reaper Lifetime Supporter

lol.

and,

aren't a lot of NBA players taken from foreign countries to the USA to play in the NBA? and then turn around and play in the olympics for USA not wherever they're really from?

7. papa wolf

papa wolf Member

In my humble opinion it's become a total joke ! The olympics were set up for and should stay for amateur competition . It's unfair to the countries athletes without big business sponsers . It's gotten totally out of hand , and is ruining the games .

Of course one could argue I guess that the start of "professional" athletes started in the former Soviet Union , China and the Soviet block states . Where the state paid for and trained pro athletes . The gymnastics teams of the old Soviet Union and Romainia come to mind . Another unfair advantage I think .

It should be stopped in my opinion . And any athlete who is a pro and paid for their talent , or who accepts endorsements from big business should no longer be able to compete in the next games . It has become boring and unfair to watch the same old
    dominating pro events with the same either "career" olympians or professional athletes .

And I have to say , the most egotistical , arrogant assholes are usually either "career" olympians or pro athletes . And or their "fans" . Like some of the comments made here ! Part of winning is being humble . When people make comments about other countries , or act like taunting assholes , is it any wonder why our image is hated and tarnished so much today ?

8. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Should the games allow the best players in the world in their respective sports? Or relegate the games to those that are NOT at the highest level? I don't want to see only college kids or playground legends compete in B-ball. March madness takes care of about as much college ball one can need.

9. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

well said. The best of the best compete! not high school jocks

10. light.

light. Member

Wow that iz a goood question ... you get a gold star for thinking ...

I never thought about that...

Nice work ... now I have to read the post and think about that ...

11. light.

light. Member

shhhh dont tell the secret of

Modern day slavery

12. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

They get paid an absurd amount during their NBA season, not to mention the endorsements most of them have. They get to travel the world to play what 10 games or something. I believe they even receive money for medaling but the team donates it. If they're going to whine that they may get injured than don't play.

13. LivinAFantasy

LivinAFantasy Member

I agree they get paid wayyy too much money, however they create a LOT of revenue. They are the show, not the person that owns the team, yet they receive less than 50% of the revenue. And while I was not a pro, I played from little league thru HS in baseball and football, then 12 years in the military, so I can relate to the stress and strain they put on their bodies. What you call whining is utterly ridiculous to be blunt about it. No down time for your body to rest can end a career. And MOST players don't have endorsements, only the recognizable. People don't pitch products with unknown sports figures. C'mon man, wake up. Someone has been feeding you a load of crap.

14. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

And who are the players on the olympic basketball team ;)

Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Kobe Bryant, do I need to continue...

"Doo doo jump? Man that's messed up."

15. LivinAFantasy

LivinAFantasy Member

Regardless of what you or I think, it is what it is. I'm willing to bet that you don't work for free. And yes, it is work. As a matter of fact, the Olympics is BIG business. I don't know how much tickets were to attend, if you had to pay to go to each event or whatever. But, I don't think most people could afford it. Hotels probably at least doubled their rates as people from other countries that came had no choice but to pay whatever it cost. NBC and all of the other networks probably raised their rates for commercials. The list goes on and on. Yes those athletes should be paid. A lot of people made out like bandits on those athletes hard work.

16. Starpower

Starpower Guest

I say no. Sure they are a DREAM team, but when they win its not a MIRACLE!!! The USA team that beat Russia they were kids(although most of them did become pros).

17. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

yes. it's more entertaining with top level athletes. they should allow pro boxers too

18. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Why are we only talking about paying the rich nba players? (I know the OP but...)what about all the swimmers, tumblers, runners, shooters, skaters...ect ect ect. And it costs a lot to run the olympics so it takes in a lot of money but its expensive to run also. How much should they all get paid and should the gold medal winner make the same as the last place person in the marathon?

19. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Well, I'd have to disagree about pro boxers. Hell, they'd kill those amateurs. And I mean kill, literally.

20. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

No, I really think it ought to go back to the way it used to be. Only amateurs allowed and everyone must compete naked. I think the ratings would go way up. Might be unfair to the Moslem women, tho.