Should Jesus be idolized and is that breaking the first commandment?

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by GreatestIam, Nov 25, 2018.

1. GreatestIam

GreatestIam Member

I like truth and give the faithful a chance to show that their truth is real with the method Jesus used to have us see this truth.

Scriptures say that any with even a tiny amount of faith or belief could do all he did and more. By that standard, all those who say they have faith are liars or have a misguided faith.

Scriptures say that to correct poor thinking is a sign of love, so correct those misguided people. It is the loving thing to do.

Regards
    DL

2. GreatestIam

GreatestIam Member

It is hard to say what people think when they live in fantasy land.

If one gets close to shattering it, like I did to yours above, they, like you did, switch to some new fantasy.

Regards
    DL

3. GreatestIam

GreatestIam Member

You are correct. They think supernaturalstupid and intelligence, logic and reason go right over their heads.

Think in the carrot stick way.

He is the great prize as he has the get out of hell free cards and Christians are willing to kiss the ass of any satanic genocidal son murdering prick of a God to get that card.

Regards
    DL

4. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

You sound mean dude.

5. GreatestIam

GreatestIam Member

Should I be kind to those who follow a religion that grew by inquisitions and murder of the founders of my religion?

Are you be kind to other who follow the same ideology of adoring a genocidal son murdering satanic God?

Would you be kind to those who promote the methods and ideology of Hitler and Stalin?

Both Christianity and Islam, slave holding ideologies, have basically developed into intolerant, homophobic and misogynous religions. Both religions have grown themselves by the sword instead of good deeds and continue with their immoral ways in spite of secular law showing them the moral ways.

Jesus said we would know his people by their works and deeds. That means Jesus would not recognize Christians and Muslims as his people, and neither do I. Jesus would call Christianity and Islam abominations.

Gnostic Christians did in the past, and I am proudly continuing that tradition and honest irrefutable evaluation based on morality.

The Theft of Our Values - Top Documentary Films

Humanity centered religions, good? Yes. Esoteric ecumenist Gnostic Christianity being the best of these.

Supernaturally based religions, evil? Yes. Islam and Christianity being the worst of these.

Regards
    DL

6. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

And that's your fantasy. Gnosticism never made it in the marketplace of memes. There's a reason for that. BTW, I'm essentially a Gnostic--minus the esoteric bullshit. But I have no problem participating in mainline churches, which have mellowed quite a bit since the Inquisition and are doing good work. Valentinians had not problem participating in mainline congregations either.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  7. GreatestIam

GreatestIam Member

Yes. Inquisitions, murder and the burning of the majority of our books.

Strange how you take the side of the murderers.

Tell us what you find appealing in a satanic genocidal God and his religion whose adherents used the same genocidal methods?

Do you also resect Hitler and Stalin? They used the same methods as the God you like.

Regards
    DL

8. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Those murderers of Gnostics lived long ago and far away. From a practical standpoint, they're not a live issue for me, but they are part of history. Christians shouldn't forget them or try to whitewash them. Same certainly goes for Hitler and Stalin. The "satanic genocidal god" is basically the Jewish Yahweh, a figment of the human imagination at a certain point in ancient history. The God I worship is the summation of human idealism and an expression of the integrated complexity of the cosmos. As previously mentioned, I'm particularly devoted to the core values of Jesus, which I take to be love of God and non-judgemental universal love for all humans, especially the least advantaged and society's rejects. As long as I believe and institution is moving in the right direction toward those goals, I have no problem participating in it and helping it along.

So far, you haven't told us anything positive about your own beliefs and what Gnosticism has to offer--or which of the many versions of Gnosticism you're pushing. Care to elaborate?

9. GreatestIam

GreatestIam Member

So Yahweh is imaginary even though he and Jesus are tied at the hip by the idiotic Trinity concept. Again, you create your own religion.

I see you are ignoring much of what I put as you cannot give decent apologetics for your supernaturally based views.

You ask what is good about Gnostic Christianity. Being able to recognise that a genocidal son murdering satanic God cannot be good and is evil is one of the good parts. You cannot face that truth which shows that the more honest Gnostic Christian view is superior to yours.

The best aspect of Gnostic Christianity is living in reality and not some supernatural realm that science has shown does not exist as the bible is refuted by science.

We do not need or want a God of the Gaps which is all Christianity can offer.

You say you like Jesus. " I'm particularly devoted to the core values of Jesus, which I take to be love of God and non-judgemental"

I ask many Christians to debate the core values Jesus preached, including that non-judgemental issue which has Jesus/Yahweh judging the vast majority of us as unfit for heaven and sending us to hell via that wide road instead of the narrow path to heaven.

If you wish to engage in such a discussion, start a thread instead of derailing here.

Be prepared to discuss that non-judgemental thing as well as his no divorce and substitutionary punishment policy that you may not believe in while most of Christianity is based on it.

This link speaks of other moral issues that Christians run from.

Regards
    DL

10. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

11. GreatestIam

GreatestIam Member

Thanks for this.

Regards
    DL

12. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Jesus gave us a test for detecting false prophets: we know them by thier fruits. The ones bearing bitter fruits are the false ones. Your posts are as bitter as they come. I doubt that you're really a Gnostic, since you seem to know so little about Gnosticism and are fond of posting atheist critiques of Christianity, even though you purport to be a Gnostic Christian. That dude Peter Bretbart you keep inflicting us with is a Jewish secular humanist who is into atheist apologetics. Tyson is also an atheist who is often uniformed on matters outside his field. Both would ridicule Gnostics as vigorously as they do mainstream Christians. Gnostic Christians were certainly were into supernaturalism. I've already discussed the Trinity and why it might have value metaphorically. Would you like to discuss aeons and demiurges and explain to us how they square with modern science? Fess up. You're an atheist posing as a Gnostic and spoiling for a fight. I've tried to be civil with you, but I'm beginning to think you're a troll or a crank who just wants to fight. So end of conversation.

I

13. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Now I feel sorry for GreatestIam

14. GreatestIam

GreatestIam Member

You say while running from a moral discussion and attacking the messenger instead of looking at the message.

Gnostic Christianity has a lot of supernatural in their myths, but we, unlike Christians, are not foolish enough to read myths literally.

I hope you can see how intelligent the ancients were as compared to the mental trash that modern preachers and theists are using with the literal reading of myths.

What is God?

Further.

Bill Moyers Journal . Watch & Listen | PBS

Rabbi Hillel, the older contemporary of Jesus, said that when asked to sum up the whole of Jewish teaching, while he stood on one leg, said, "The Golden Rule. That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. That is the Torah. And everything else is only commentary. Now, go and study it."

Please listen as to what is said about the literal reading of myths.

"Origen, the great second or third century Greek commentator on the Bible said that it is absolutely impossible to take these texts literally. You simply cannot do so. And he said, "God has put these sort of conundrums and paradoxes in so that we are forced to seek a deeper meaning."

Matt 7;12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

This is how early Gnostic Christians view the transition from reading myths properly to destructive literal reading and idol worship.

Regards
    DL

15. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

One more retort and I'm done. Neither I nor the Christians I hang with are biblical literalists, so take up your garbola with a fundamentalist. I have little respect for the scholarship of Timothy Freke, if one could call it that, but I have no problem with the notion of myth in Christianity. So there.

16. GreatestIam

GreatestIam Member

All who believe in Jesus must read some of the scriptures literally as that is the only original place where he is spoken of.
    Any intelligent thinker knows this.

So there.

Regards
    DL

17. inthelibrary

inthelibrary Members

The name of God is in the bible over 6000 times

18. GreatestIam

GreatestIam Member

Ok. Hence the idol worship of a god that the bible itself is unknowable and unfathomable.

Compare that true wisdom with the lying preachers who ream off all that they say they know and fathom of the unknowable and unfathomable.

I suggest to all to read the bible as there is some truth in it and it will turn all intelligent believers into non-believers.

Regards
    DL

19. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

There is also some truth that will turn intelligent nonbelievers into believers. But let's take a look at the case presented to us by the apostle of "true wisdom". Don't the Gnostics have rituals? Isn't it the Gnostics who claim to have secret knowledge that they can provide the initiates that can help them become gods? Wasn't it the Gnostics who claimed to be able to tell us all about the aeons and archons and the Ogdoad--unknowable and unfathonable truths made simple for those in the know? Does anybody think there is no agenda behind these posts?

[​IMG]

One born every minute! BTW, isn't it the OPs position that if we partake of his snake oil we will become as gods? Where have we heard that line before? "For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    inthelibrary likes this.
  20. inthelibrary

inthelibrary Members

idol worship over a name? it is not unknowable and unfathomable and even saying that is RIDICULOUS!
    God reveals himself in the bible many times and here on earth. Look at everything on earth. We live in a paradise that was created for us. But ya know humans, we are imperfect and we do imperfect things. Our minds are fed filth that god detests. Satan rules this world, since the first 2 humans. God has allowed it to go this long. But soon, destruction is coming. Woe for the earth and see. we are living in that woe, a time of turbulence and strife. Man cannot and will not ever get along, it is going to be like the flood in Noah's day. All of the wicked people are going to be done away with. The angels will save only the people that God tells them to. The rest will be gone.
    Then the earth will rebuilt and all the dead ressurected the earth done over to a paradise and the humans living there with have the prospect of living forever and will worship God in Spirit and Truth and the earth will turn into a paradise as God originally intended. living in Gods kingdom, living forever and following Gods rule because the earth is Gods house!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018