Should it be illegal to photograph someone without his or her permission?

Discussion in 'People' started by noyb5349, Mar 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mizzymorrison

mizzymorrison Sage

The last thing we need is another law.

VeganLadyAZ and Bilby like this.
  2. p0ly

p0ly Senior Member

If you have such a problem with being photographed do not go into a public areas as you will be filmed constantly by CCTV...

Screw making it illegal to film people that would let so many scummy corrupt Police and other people be able to hide their wrong doings.

1 person likes this.
  3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

last i checked it actually was. it ought to depend on whether the picture was actually OF them, and if it were published and how it was used and so on. for someone to take a picture of something else that happened to have someone in it, that wasn't about them as a person, it shouldn't be restricted at all.

4. xmas

xmas Member

I thought it already was!

5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i think it should really depend on whether you're taking a picture OF THEM or a picture of something else, which through no intention of your own, they happen to be walking by in the background, somewhere in it. to me this is important, because i'm much more interested in pictures of places and things, then those of human persons. you shouldn't have to not take a picture of something you like, just because there are people walking by. sometimes, some things, its impossible to get pictures of them, without there being people in them, you don't know, and probably never will, and the idea that you should have to get them all to sign release forms, or cordon off the area, and all the legal hassle that would involve, in order to take a picture of a train or a tree or a building or something else, i'm sorry but to me that is just rediculous.

i do agree however, that people souldn't be allowed to hound other people to get pictures OF THEM.

6. renogirl_2

renogirl_2 Wandering Sunflower

I DO believe any posted picture that shows anyone other than YOU does need the others permission UNLESS you blur out the faces. It's just common sense courtesy.

1 person likes this.
  7. renogirl_2

Next time make sure you knock the camera into some water :unsure:

8. SnakeOilWilly

SnakeOilWilly Members

So if I'm at a basketball game and I take a picture of something happening on the court I have to blur out the players faces, the staff's faces and any one in the background before I can post it to facebook?

Seems like a lotta work to me...

VeganLadyAZ likes this.
  9. renogirl_2

"A lot of work" versus someones privacy - you figure it out! Doesn't take much math.

10. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

idk, maybe .. in public probably not though there should be limits.

everywhere we go in public we get recorded on surveillance cameras, satellite photos, overhead drones, etc.

there are computer systems that can track a person by facial recognition and matching of other features so to avoid being tracked you may want to take with you when you go out several different hats, jackets etc and change your appearance at intervals but this doesn't guarantee success if they are determined to track you the systems will not be fooled easily because they will see you go into a building for existance, and then a different person come out and they will know it's the same person because they have watched who has gone in and out and know how many people are in there and who they are.

in less populated areas there may be no street surveillance but overhead drones can easily track you by heat signatures

VeganLadyAZ likes this.
  11. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

nope
    as long as there's nothing creepy insinuated
    I have a hairy mole. It's actually called a beauty mark.

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

no. i mostly don't. but it depends on the context and circumstance. if you're taking a picture of a train or a building, you shouldn't be legally required to fuzz out, or otherwise hide, the face of everyone who might happen to be walking by. on the other paw, i do agree, there should be some legal redress, to stop paparzzi from stalking people to get pictures of them. slapping them with big civil suits and that sort of thing. that deliberately taking a picture of a specific person against their will, yes that should be treated as a real and serious legal injury. but if you happen to be walking by, where someone is taking a picture of something else, no, you shouldn't be able to legally blackmail them for you accidentally being in it. too much of intillectual property protection IS restraint of creativity. and restraint of creativity is something i consider a really bad idea.

13. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

14. AcesWild

AcesWild Members

In a private place yes, in a public place no.

15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i don't think i should have to get a signed model release from everyone who might happen to be walking by if i'm trying to take a picture of a train or a building.
    but if i was trying to take a picture of some particular person specifically, it seems like requiring their permission, would be a matter of common courtesy.

16. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Should it be illegal to take someone's picture without his or her permission?

I think my image is mine and if you TAKE my picture you took something that is mine, that's maybe why it became the norm to say TAKE a picture instead of make a picture.

I have had people pointing phones in my direction at parties at me and said stop no pictures no thanks I really don't want a picture of me half drunk red eyes sloppy looking on the internet or in existence at all for that matter.

17. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

you forfeit your right to privacy by entering public areas

so many wrong answers in this thread...people should actually look up the law before guessing what it is

2 people like this.
  18. themnax

themnax Senior Member

in most places it actually IS unlawful to take someone's picture without their permission. media people know this, and paperatsi scate on thin ice doing so.
    but as pointed out, if you're a face in the crowd, and the crowd happens to be walking by someone taking a picture of something else entirely,
    should they have to track down and get permission from everyone who happened to have been?
    seems a bit impractical. what i see done, in pictures from japan for example,
    and we're seeing this more and more in the media where technologes have been developed specifically to do this, is faces being blured out or pixilated out.

not the most aesthetic compromise, but one that satisfies legal requirements.

(the reason i mention japan, not single that country or culture out, is that i watch a lot of cab ride rail-fan videos on you tube, and generally you will see this done)

19. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

This is a difficult question because taking video of the police has stopped a lot of abuse.

If someone takes my picture and does something stupid to hurt me like spread it around the internet as a meme and the law won't help I guess it would be my job to retaliate.

Just the language of it "Take my picture" "Take your picture" implies you own the image of yourself by nature.

20. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

if in a public place, no, not illegal in the slightest.
    what they do with your picture could be illegal, but that is up to you to discover, document and report, but the laws will back you up.

@ the OP:
    BUT, why you so fucking paranoid that you actually worry about shit like this???
    LOL.... so many people think they are of some fucking importance....LOL

NEWS FLASH!!!! you don't mean shit to anybody but your momma.

VeganLadyAZ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.