Should I read Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Books' started by PinkFloydrulez, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

And that doesn't make it any less Christian.

Either way, it's a masterpiece.

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Certainly not less catholic :-D

3. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Yeah yeah yeah.

Not only in the way you're thinking.

4. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

C.S.Lewis (who I don't think was as good as JRR) was a friend of Tolkien and an Anglican. I think that comes through much more in his fantasy writing than Tolkien's Catholicism. At least it's more overt.

5. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

You don't need to read anything anymore, everything has been made into a film now

6. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Shadow Warrior

7. Mallyboppa

Mallyboppa Nails Mc Fugger

If you Like The LOTR Books you Will Love and be able to grock ( because it is not a lightweight ) this !
    Probably my Favorite Book
    http://youtu.be/KEiOMQM0A5I

8. Mallyboppa

Mallyboppa Nails Mc Fugger

part two The return
    http://youtu.be/EZ1fFqVr2Bw

9. TrumpCards

TrumpCards That Wasn’t A Compliment!

I doubt the original TC will read this, but perhaps someone will still appreciate this post.

I’m going to be the odd man out on this one and say there are many significantly better fantasy series out there. I thought LotR was pretty bad. If I could go back and do it again, I would have just watched the movies. Harry Potter is ok, but it really starts to go downhill after the fourth book. Here’s why: in the first four, there are subtle hints that can help you predict the endings, so it has mystery elements. In the last three books, they trade that for action sequences. Now, in a video game or a movie, action and combat is better. But in a book, I think mystery elements is better. Does anyone else agree with me, or can at least understand my reasoning?

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'm gonna go out on a limb ans suggest the skyrim main storyline is more entertaining than LOTR. Hobbits are whack as fuck anyway with hairy feet errh.

11. Friar Turk

Friar Turk Dankin' and Tankin'

I had the opportunity to read Harry Potter while at re-hab and for some reason didn't think that the contemporary classic would help me with my otherwise drug-addled soul, so I focused on some book of Portuguese Love Poetry instead I have read the primary Tolkien Trilogy and the pre-quel otherwise known as the Hobbit. Now I've decided to build an underground home much in the style of many of the burrowed domiciles in Hobbittown.

I really felt that of the 3 books of the trilogy, The Fellowship of the Ring predicted the Rings' imminent destruction best, or at least, better than the other two stories. The classic and exceedingly impressive feature of Tolkien's writing is his well-studied depiction of separate groups of hominids: Dwarves, Elves, Men, Tree-Ents, Orcs, Wizards and finally Hobbits. There seems a logical connection, not merely in sound but also in mythology and lore, between the Elven speech and verse of Legolas and Liv Tyler and the historical Welsh communities of the Britains. Tolkien seems to be writing a massive book of ancient scripture and potency for the oncoming age of Men (read Anglo, Saxon, Jute, Vandal, Latin and Spaniard). A treatise of philology and anthropology, describing the implicit and innate differences between the earliest settlers of the British Isles and the slightly more brutish and obviously neandrathal who came later. Theoretically, a decent hermeneutic, and even better, a righteous exegetic for cyphering the complex versification of Tolkien would describe the potential analogies between the various central and western european tribes as they settled within the British Isles and the various hominids of Middle-Earth: Do the Historical Relationships between Dwarves, Elves and Men parallel, for instance, the Historical Relationships between Goths, Britons and Celts? What texts would one consult in order to inquire of Tolkien, in order to uncover his meta-narrative and historical philosophy regarding?

I wouldn't be too much out by and through an examination of any of Tolkien's correspondence, journals or lectures.

12. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

I’ve read LoTR and not the HP series, so I’m biased. I say LoTR. But my friends who have read HP have loved it!

13. Friar Turk

Friar Turk Dankin' and Tankin'

As pertaining to your blogpost.

Tolkien's first Middle Earth story due
    JRR Tolkien's The Fall of Gondolin, which the author described as "the first real story" set in Middle-earth, is to be published as a stand-alone book for the first time.

The book charts the story of an elven city sacked by the Dark Lord, Morgoth.

The author started writing it in 1917, before returning to Middle-earth for The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

Tolkien Society chair Shaun Gunner said many fans regarded The Fall of Gondolin as "the Holy Grail of Tolkien texts".

The Fall of Gondolin is the second "new" work to be edited and released by Tolkien's son Christopher Tolkien in two years.

It has come as a surprise to many, since Christopher - who is 93 - described the 2017 release of Beren and Luthien as "(presumptively) my last book in the long series of editions of my father's writings".

The only Middle-earth-based novels to be published by JRR Tolkien in his lifetime were The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy. He died in 1973.

[​IMG]
    Image captionTolkien pictured in Oxford in 1968
    Christopher, once referred to by his father as his "chief critic and collaborator", has since spent much of his life organising his father's unpublished writings.

He has edited and posthumously published works including The Silmarillion and The Children of Hurin.

It's thought Tolkien began writing The Fall of Gondolin while recovering from active service during World War One in 1917.

The story will act as a missing link, chronicling the ancient history of Middle-earth before the events in The Lord of the Rings.

Responding to the news, Mr Gunner said: "We never dared to dream that we would see this published.

"The Fall of Gondolin is, to many in the Tolkien community, the Holy Grail of Tolkien texts as one of Tolkien's three Great Tales alongside The Children of Hurin and Beren and Luthien."

McFuddy likes this.
  14. makihiko

makihiko Official hippie since 2005

you could just read them both?

I read HP, but never got into LOTR, I found the writing style in LOTR to be too much for me to be able to get into the flow.