Should Guns be Banned in the US?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by skip, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

After the shooting of the Judge and Congresswoman in Arizona, I wonder if opinions on Gun Control have changed at all. Congress seems like it will never take up Gun Control again thanks to the ever strong Gun lobby.

So what do you think? Should guns be outlawed in the US?

2. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

might as well ban free speech too

3. lunarverse

lunarverse The Living End

The military and maybe cops should have guns, no one else. The only problem with that is if the government ever decided to use the military against the people, we'd be fucked.

4. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

"No, if you ban guns only outlaws will have them" is my exact answer.
    I don't like guns at all. But I sure don't like the idea of only cops and criminals having them.

5. wa bluska wica

wa bluska wica Pedestrian

hasn't changed my opinion one bit

i've always voted 'ban all guns'

6. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

If I lived in the wild west I would probably have a gun in my house, just in case...

Saying that though I don't like guns, but I also would like to feel safe in my house. If I could get a hold of a gun in this country I would probably have one for protection in my home. I don't think there is anything wrong with that in principle.

But the sad fact of the matter is some people are just not responsible enough to have a gun, same as some people are not responsible enough to possess a driving licence.

Should we ban cars?

Scotland has a problem with knife crime. If it weren't for the fact that guns are difficult to get and HIGHLY illegal it would probably be people getting shot instead of knifed. There is a growing problem now in this country with crazed gunmen going on the rampage as well though.

I think I'd probably rather have a crazy young ned pointing a gun at me than pulling out a knife though, I think because I have experienced the pain of having a knife slice the end of my finger and I know that it hurts like fuck.

I'd also rather get shot than be permanently disfigured in a knife attack. One of friends from school had his cheeks cut open years ago, fucking nasty.

It's a difficult one. Clearly banning anything doesn't stop it happening, but certainly tighter controls are needed.

What we need in the first place is to clamp down on the scum defence companies who manufacture these weapons.

7. lunarverse

I thought of that as well, but here's what changed my mind; if all guns were banned, there'd be no use for us to need guns to protect ourselves because no one would have guns. If there's no guns, there's no need to protect ourselves from guns.

8. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Right, because the banishment of narcotics has kept the world 100% drug free......
    So a banishment of guns will have the same effect too, right?

9. lunarverse

The difference being that one can grow their own weed, one cannot build their own gun. Therefore if someone has a gun, they'll stand out like a lesbian at a Ricky Martin concert.

While banning guns will not get rid of them all together, it would have a profound effect.

10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I think gun control sounds better then gun ban, but it should be seriously controlled. That means for instance no gun if you're not a member of a gunclub, no guns by mailorder etc... All sounds very logic to me by the way, don't know why this stuff isn't regulated better over there.

11. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

Banning guns won't stop someone who wants to kill.

12. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zip_gun

Plus, they can still smuggle them, trade them, hide them, sell them.

They aren't pennies - how are you gonna get them all off of the street?

13. lunarverse

By forcing people to become compassionate individuals by means of The Ludovico technique...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c7xOjIDog4"]YouTube - A Clockwork Orange (The "Ludovico Technique")

14. Motion

Motion Senior Member

This recent shooting is more about doing a better job of identifying those with mental illness and getting them treatment than about gun control. Why didn't a psychiatrist ever evaluate this guy?? Had he been evaluated and treated then this shooting could have been prevented.

15. boguskyle

boguskyle kyleboguesque

i voted that the outlaws will be the ones with the guns, but i also coulda voted that i just dont believe in gun control also, for these reasons:

-the government should be an entity that makes solutions, not laws that depend on the failure of the citizen
    -more laws mean more crime
    -the law needs to reflect the realities of society

16. wa bluska wica

no, but it'll make it harder

ever tried to kill someone with a knife?

seriously, it's work

next time, i too am spraying a crowd with bullets [getting too old for this shit]

17. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

Nah, it won't, because banning doesn't mean they won't exist. They banned marijuana and I just smoked some this morning. You think drug wars are bad...just wait until it's over guns.

18. deleted

deleted Visitor

Thats great, cant kill anyone with a gun.,. Steal a car, fill it with cans of gasoline, drive it into crowded mall.. 'kaboom'..

If you use a gun in an improper manner, its suicide anyways.. < lets all grow a brain together. :D

19. wa bluska wica

pot's easy to grow, even i can't kill the stuff

[note to self: try a gun next time]

i tried building a gun once, got as far as collecting bird shit for the nitrates . . .

20. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

I have a mill and a lathe. I can make my own gun if need be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.