Should gun safety be taught in schools like sex ed is?

Discussion in 'Political Polls' started by broony, May 15, 2011.

1. puggybear

puggybear stars may twinkle-but I shine!

Y'know,one of the nicer things about living in England,is that such things aren't an issue.
    Don't get me wrong,it has it's faults and we hate our politicians as much as you hate yours-but issues like having a population of 260 million all with the right to carry a gun,and that natural fear that comes from such a scenario,just doesn't raise it's head.
    The problem seems to be,as seen from a distance,that whenever a disagreement occurs everyone wants to be the one to pull out a gun first,before the other guy can.

Over here,we just punch the shit out of each other till we get fed up-then go for a pint together.
    I'm not saying it's better our way,but the 'Must get my gun out before he does' factor is non-existent.
    Ok,you may get a broken nose-or he will-but either way you get a pint as an apology and 9 times out of 10 shake hands and forget it.
    It's just the way we Brits do it.

2. S&L

S&L Member

Def. NOT!!
    What the country needs is a comprehensive gun control law as Canada has.
    To get a licens, you have to take a gun safety and handling course to get the license.
    Safe storage laws, less CC permits is what makes the country safer.
    Not teaching kids about guns in school.
    Amerikan kids are dumm enough, unable to read, speak and write propper Englis, speak foreign languages or do any meaningful math.
    Nevermind applied mathematic, or being fluent in any othe rlanguage such as spanish.

3. vigilanteherbalist2

vigilanteherbalist2 Senior Member

since when is sex ed taught in schools? i mean real sex ed, not abstinence only education.

4. broony

broony Banned

We know, their are hundreds if not thousands of posts saying such. It was also not mentioned at the start of the thread for obvious reasons....wrong thread..

5. 7point65

7point65 Banned

In the old AMERICA I grew up with a LICENSE is not mandatory. All that is really required is that you be 21 to own a handgun or buy handgun ammo. You can't be an excon, having done 1 year and 1 day used to be the rule. In recent years a domestic violence charge on your record means you are shit canned from EVER LEGALLY OWNING FIREARMS AGAIN. You don't have to have been found guilty just charged. This law is also retroactive to the beginning of time for all intents and purposes. It seems fairly un Constitutional in my book but the bums in office don't care what Joe Average thinks. Nor do they care what the Constitution says.

I have NO IDEA where wa bluska wica lives but he needs to check the requirements for firearms ownership in his own state. Before making carte blanche statements concerning gun ownership he needs to check the facts. Otherwise he sounds a bit like a buffoon. If wa wica does not like guns he should join the Brady Bunch. If he doesn't have a problem with legal Americans owning guns he should head to a gun club or gun shop sometime and just hang out and ask questions. Gun folks are usually quite friendly provided you aren't trying to screw them.

Some type of gun safety program probably is a good idea. I think a local gun club with their own range and range officers should handle the gun safety training. To put politicians or bureaucrats in charge of something like this in my view would be akin to putting an arsonist or rapist in charge of an arson or rape investigation.

Unfortunately I've personally known a few holders of genitals. They had about as much business owning baby making equipment as many yuppies or baby boomers did having a drivers license and 4000 pound rolling people projectiles. Personally I think many irresponsible young adults both male and female should be fixed like dogs and cats. If they are having sex w/o birth control and going on the dole they need to be sterilized male and female alike. If they don't like that they can support themselves or move to a new country. Mexeco would be their destination. Lets see how Mexeco likes it when we send our dregs of society to that fine lil gem of a cuntry.

6. 7point65

7point65 Banned

Yeah we've seen the way you Brits handle things in Ireland Sluggo.

No thanks. My Grampa and Gramma came to America from the UK before WWI. Perhaps that's why I have a thing for 303 Enfields, 38S&W Webleys and pigs in a blanket. But that's on my Dads side. On my Moms side I am half Texan. Who knows....I might have had kin who turned to and stood shoulder to shoulder at The Alamo. Shooting hordes of mexekins led by that pompous Santa Anna.

Besides which if it weren't for America back in WWII yall would be speaking German right now. So put that in your pipe and smoke it.

7. 7point65

7point65 Banned

Yo, no more kool aid for this poor sap.....

Man what planet are you from?? You need to kill your TV set or unhook the cable, dish, direct tv whatever you have and try opening up some books. Have you heard of books?

You're right about one thing. Martial Arts is a good thing to know. You can convince an attacker to leave you be with a certain amount of force to thwart his aggression against you. Up to and including deadly force if he won't back off and leaves you NO CHOICE.

Despite the lies you've been told by liars or the Brady Bunch (more liars) or the MSM or just most news outlets whether print or broadcast people can't just shoot other people willy nilly. Several states have strong Castle Doctrine laws that have a tendency to side with the homeowner if he is faced with an unwanted intruder. My state does not have that kind of law on the books. However lethal force can be employed in certain circumstances. Such as to stop an armed robbery (a felony) or thwarting a car jacking (another felony). Or just relaxing in your crib watching the idiot box. Some hoodlum tries to beat down your front door, to come busting in and attack your loved ones, possibly rape your daughters and kill your wife....you think it is A OK TO LET THE CREEP DO WHATEVER THE HELL HE WANTS??? You Sir are an idiot.

You would do well to go to this website to learn more about proper firearms use both in a practical aspect and in terms of self defense. The site is opencarry.org

If it isn't asking too much try to go there with an open mind.

8. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

This is a mentality that only exists in the heads of Americans that exist in the imaginations of the British.

Make sense now?

Having a gun has NOTHING to do with the frame of mind that british members keep implying or outright saying that it does.

I keep reading about how paranoid, scared, on edge, etc, all americans must be. You just don't seem to know too many americans. On the contrary, this belief seems to paint the brits as being just a bit paranoid. Not everybody is out to get you, why would they be? What would anyone have to gain by shooting you, other than having to brave roadblocks, bulletins, forensic science, and more, just to escape with their freedom? Why would they do that?

About how americans are all trying to decide when to pull their guns, but the british will only break your nose a tenth of the time..... well shit, maybe we're all just waiting around with our guns for some chav to pop up.

Again, from your post, comparing brawling type violence to lethal force, we can assume that you have a distorted view on guns, and no, those from your country could probably not be safely trusted with one. Watching guns on TV without being taught the reality of the thing will rear a country of violent chavs. A gun's not a way to settle an argument, and anyone with so little self control that they would hit someone over a petty argument should not be near a gun. However, the US has a way of getting rid of that kind of fuckhead: let them swing at a gun owner.

If someone got shot over a disagreement, it would be quite shameful to the shooter. If someone got shot because during an altercation, they tried to do the british thing and sock someone in the nose, everyone would cheer the shooter on.

In conclusion: all the brits in this thread are right, it's a great thing that they don't have guns, their filthy meth infested country has enough violence without it, and very few people with the capacity to handle a firearm. The UK government, incompetent as it is, is more competent than it's citizens to have arms, and that's a very rare situation: you should feel proud of your violent alcohol and speed infested nanny state.

I ran out of rant.

9. broony

broony Banned

10. puggybear

puggybear stars may twinkle-but I shine!

Well done sir! A first-class rant,and worthy of applause.
    Anyone who doesn't think THEIR country is best is letting the side down.

But as you say,we Brits are all violent alcoholic meth-infested incompetents to a man.
    Not a single one of us has any idea regarding weapons ops,has ever served in the armed forces,or shown an ounce of courage or decency.
    We're far too busy getting drunk and beating up handicapped kittens.
    Unworthy pussies,the lot of us.

11. Rutz

Rutz The Farming Communist

Gun safety classes should be taken when you apply for a gun license and are mature enough to handle one. If somebody in the kid's house has a gun, it's on him to keep the situation safe.

12. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Yes GUN SAFETY is more important than sex ed! (Especially the younger they are)

13. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

It's not that important if you don't own a gun!

14. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

No but unfortunetly so many have a gun AND ARENT CAREFUL WITH IT that young ones should be well aware of the dangers of them!

15. Rutz

Rutz The Farming Communist

Then training and screening for adults who own guns should be tougher.
    You don't need to give these classes to kids who are going to think guns are the coolest thing in the world.
    If a family has guns, they need to be responsible for them.

16. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i think the best solution to the problem of guns is to stop manufacturing them. that isn't a total or immediate solution. but it is a rational and statistically significant one.

i'd also like to see mystery/crime dramas on tv, stop being hour long advertisements for cars and guns. this gets back to the cultural thing, which is really at the root of almost everything.

17. Still Kicking

Still Kicking Members

I would have voted no, except for how the poll is worded. Schools are places to be programmed, not educated. My opinion is every single person with the intelligence and ability to handle a weapon should be properly taught by another competent individual how to properly handle them. Talk about making the world a safer place.

18. Eagles

Eagles Visitor

I would think to high school kids that may be appropriate.

19. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Last edited: Oct 1, 2023
    wilsjane likes this.
  20. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

You and I certainly seem to have quite a bit in common. :)
    I remember my late mother saying that she did not agree with prison time for rapists. She the added, castration is a lot cheaper. :D