Should cameras be used to monitor American streets for crime?

Discussion in 'Political Polls' started by IANABIAP, May 8, 2011.

1. Bonkai

Bonkai Later guys

It would help in some areas but in others not affective, first instance street light cameras have reduced the likely hood of someone passing a red light dramatically. I doubt it would have much affect on violent crime tho, people will still rob a gas station/liquor store knowing well before hand a camera is present.

2. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Only because back then video cameras used a wind-up key. They would have loved them.

Orwell was a brilliant man. He got it exactly right: they'll watch you, while you watch what they want you to watch on TV, and talking or thinking about doing the wrong thing is illegal.

3. Rutz

Rutz The Farming Communist

There are cameras on street lights all over the city here.
    I can see reasons to put them on college campuses and at subway stations, but at some point it just gets ridiculous.

Of course, our electronic lives are under constant surveillance, so why would we not fight that but have a problem with our physical lives being under the eye as well?

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Nah, there's enough shit to watch from American programs on TV. Quality shows like Tosh.0 are about as much as we can handle, we don't need to see any more stupid Americans.

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

We need cameras in all the back rooms on Capital Hill in DC to catch the real criminals..... Just Sayin'

6. Comfortablynumb11

Comfortablynumb11 Member

Certainly not.

7. Lodog

Lodog ¿

Sure I'll give up liberty for freedom.

8. SapphireNeptune

SapphireNeptune Member

The real question is do you really have an expectation to privacy while in open public

9. noyb5349

noyb5349 Member

Here-here.

10. jamgrassphan

jamgrassphan Get up offa that thing Lifetime Supporter

No. What the eye can legally see, the camera should be able to record. But this should extend to everyone, including law enforcement. In Illinois, if you film a police officer, you can be brought up for illegal wire tapping. That's bullshit.

11. jaredfelix

jaredfelix Namaste ॐ

12. OneLifeForm

OneLifeForm Member

Won't somebody think of the CHILDREN?!?!?

:tongue:

13. SapphireNeptune

SapphireNeptune Member

I don't mind red light cameras because they do make streets safer, but having cameras put up everywhere is just kind of creepy. Though realistically, you have no right to privacy when you're out in public.

14. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

Rest assured they're thinking of them all right- they're envisioning the best composition of the herd of tomorrow... placid, docile, domesticated livestock that is generally incapable of questioning the premise used to justify the removal of their freedoms and culturally bred to ostracize the isolated individual who actually dares to question things.

Meanwhile "children" is an exploitable topic meant to subtly neutralize resistance by encouraging today's less refined sheep to associate free thinking with callous disregard for the more vulnerable among us.

15. StpLSD25

StpLSD25 Senior Member

It takes 1000 cameras to stop 1 crime. They're using technology to spy on the people while we're in desolate bubbles. Hell no they shouldn't, I should be able to drop acid and smoke a joint on any street in America

16. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

They used cameras at my american high school to monitor crime :)

17. PEACEFUL LIBRA

PEACEFUL LIBRA DAMN RIGHT I'M A WEIRDO

I had cameras and security guards at my school i really dont care

18. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Will you care when they put one in your home?

Just sayin'

19. StpLSD25

StpLSD25 Senior Member

Dig! You're so right Tyrson. It's pretty odd too how so many people don't care because it doesn't effect them directly. But you make a very valid point.

Ron Paul said "If we put a camera in every home in America, Yeah it would stop crime, but then the real crime would be on the American people!"

And we're already to that point, we're living in a full on police state.

America is a police state

20. themnax

themnax Senior Member

cameras aren't intrusive if they're not conspicuous. legitimate concern is over what is done with what they record. and that anything admissible in court, needs to have to be as accessible to defense as it is to prosecution.

(yes we have a police state going on. i don't see the presence or absence of cameras in public places making more or less one though. the police state problem is one of cultural attitudes, such as the romanticizing of aggressiveness, and tolerating, even supporting, the dominance of economic interests.)