Should cameras be used to monitor American streets for crime?

Discussion in 'Political Polls' started by IANABIAP, May 8, 2011.

1. IANABIAP

IANABIAP Member

2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

fuck that.

3. IANABIAP

IANABIAP Member

I think women will feel safer on the streets if there were cameras monitoring everything. Less women would definitely be accosted. That's only one argument for either side of course:).

4. JonnyH

JonnyH Member

But in that case, the only way to be truly safe would be being watched constantly.

It's the same argument which would condone the government getting carried away with the whole "CCTV" thing and before you know it, we'd lose the remaining privacy we still have.

5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Alrighty..here is my counter argument. Cameras wouldn't prevent attacks, they would simply make it easier to find the attacker after the fact. Cameras wouldn't make me feel safer at all because I know that a man could come up behind me, attack me, take my purse, and leave me lying there within a matter of seconds. The recording wouldn't even be viewed until after the attack happened.

I think cameras are a great psychological tool to instill fear in a nation's citizens. Feeling like you're being watched all the time does not do much to lend to an overall sense of freedom.

6. tanasi

tanasi Member

NO, but they will be used.

7. broony

broony Banned

Ask yourself if you would feel safer if a camera was watching you?

What would make you feel safer? Do you think police are going to show up in a split second and prevent the crime? Yeah right...Or Maybe it will help you in court, but you were still mugged and beaten.

Maybe you should learn how to walk the streets if you don't feel safe in that area and not bring attention to yourself.

Cameras wont stop crime for anything. The rich might feel safer since they are walking in 20grand of cloths but the dirt poor wont give a shit and will still find ways if desperate.

I enjoy my privacy I don't know about you.

The only thing these cameras are doing is pissing off the public who want freedom, and giving who knows how much money into the pockets of the already filthy rich.

8. lunarverse

lunarverse The Living End

All good points. If someone is low enough and desperate enough to rob, beat, cheat, or attack someone, the presence of a camera isn't going to do shit to stop them.

Look at how many people still robs banks and stores, despite the fact that they know sure as hell that they're on camera. Most people who would do something like that, or attack someone on the street; their minds are racing, or strung out, desperate, etc. They're not thinking about what's going to happen later, they're just thinking about their objective and how to get what they want, they'll deal with the rest later.

9. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

they got em in my city...crime dropped dramatically :)

10. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

Wouldn't it be better to effect less need for police services and surveillance through effecting a sort of cultural revolution? Something that I find somewhat appalling is a general trend to define a larger and larger government and police role in confronting issues arguably precipitated by cultural decline.

11. 7point65

7point65 Banned

After some of the things I've read today regarding shenaneegans the US Govt is trying to pull with or without Facebooks help the last thing I want is another CCTV camera looking in my direction.:(

Per the poll....nice to be on the winning side for once.

12. 7point65

7point65 Banned

Per your signature line...GPS.:(

13. IANABIAP

IANABIAP Member

But the camera is a good tool for identifying those who do crime and bringing justice to those that have been victimized. If there weren't cameras in stores and banks, how much more difficult would it be to find out who committed these crimes and to bring justice to victims?

I wouldn't like it if cameras were monitoring American streets, but if they could help to protect and avenge victims, I think it's at least worth considering. I think that some people would be disuaded from doing a crime if they knew that they were being watched.

Peace to you, Mr./Ms. lunarverse:).

14. IANABIAP

IANABIAP Member

But wouldn't it feel better to know that your attacker is on a recorded image and that the authorities have a much better chance of avenging your attack and bringing you justice? Having your attacker face justice helps alot and I think that some people would be disuaded from doing a crime if they felt like they were being watched.

Cameras monitoring streets might not be something that we like, but they might be valuable tools for protecting people and bringing justice to those who are attacked. Receiving justice after being victimized is VERY important.

Peace, sister:).

15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

brilliant point. You're absolutely right.

Most people do not commit crime for the hell of it. Criminal activity, generally speaking, is born out of desperation. Along the lines of what Stinkfoot said, some people would be disuaded from doing a crime if they did not feel as if they were stuck in the fringes of society or felt as if they had hope to achieve some success in this life without resorting to criminal activity.

Surveillance systems are at best band-aids for much deeper societal problems, and at worse, like I said earlier in the thread, psychological tools used to instill fear and loss of freedom in a nation's citizens.

Not at all. I choose not to live my life in fear. I would never wish to institute mass surveillance because of an event that may or may not ever happen.

Shit happens and people are victimized, but installing cameras makes it seem as if its the norm, which I think would probably further perpetuate the idea that we live in a criminal and violent society.

16. deleted

deleted Visitor

everyone has a cell cam these days..
    [​IMG]

17. johnny guy

johnny guy Member

what they say its for and what they really do with it are two different things.

18. seizedbyanger

seizedbyanger Banned

we could just try it out on canada first, they seem pretty eager to wanna fuck these kinds of things up these days

19. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

its already done in many cities around the world

I think the UK has the most cameras

20. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

For clarity... who are the "they " to whom you are referring... the good citizens of Canada or the "pall"iticians who manage to get themselves elected because if it is the latter, then we as Americans don't have a fucking leg to stand on as far as criticizing choices on a ballot. After all, we are the epicenter of much that is wrong with the world- particularly economic but politically as well... at least as far as I can tell.

Bazz888 likes this.