should assisted suicide be allowed?

Discussion in 'The Hip Polls' started by The Instinct, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Grandeur

Grandeur Members

Only for sick people.

It is illgeal everywhere in the world if you are not sick.

2. Gul Dukat

Gul Dukat Kanar, anyone?

I think the Netherlands allows it, but as Grandeur said, only for the terminally ill.

3. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

For medical? yes.

4. Gul Dukat

Gul Dukat Kanar, anyone?

Wait this thread is from 2013.

Who did this?

5. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

Any suicide should be allowed.

6. Lodog

Lodog ¿

Guys Sit down. So get this I got This autism thing right, and I can't remember what fact or fiction means. When I get em confused Things start making sense.

7. Michael1985

Michael1985 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My answer is complicated. I disagree with assisted suicide on principle. I do agree that people should be able to end their lives on their terms because it's their body, etc. Where I have problems is that if it's about their lives and their bodies, it's also their responsibility to do themselves, and should not be enlisting the help of others, especially people who are in a profession to save and improve the lives of others, not help end them. However, if it must be permitted by law, then it should only be as a last resort, including requiring that death be forthcoming, and no doctor should have to perform such a service against his or her conscience.

8. srgreene

srgreene Members

Why is it "their responsibility to do it themselves"? BTW, if you are physically incapacitated, that may be impossible. What is wrong with people coming to an agreement on this admittedly complex subject?

FYI, my husband and I have an agreement along these lines. Neither of us is in a hurry to die, but then again, neither of us wants to necessarily keep respiring until the very last moment.

9. Dax

Dax Members

Without a doubt.

10. Nwcc75

Nwcc75 Members

Assisted suicide aka death with dignity should be allowed.

11. Andy Schumer

Andy Schumer Members

Yes
    It’s a persons choice to live as long as possible until they die, I strongly believe they should be able to choose to die instead of prolonging suffering. I think it’s more and human to keep someone alive to suffer longer against their will

12. BirdFlu

BirdFlu resident alien

13. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Such a morbid topic, I’m not sure which direction to go with this. I’m worried about my conscience and I would be constantly asking “is this the right thing to do- who will I have to look in the face and answer to?”

14. soulcompromise

Most people who answer that question from here don't realize that sometimes that's the best option - when someone is terminally ill for example. What I don't like is that someone who still has their faculties, who can go on, perhaps in discomfort could think that it's an option for them.

There are some fine lines. Who is sick enough? Even if they give you a limited amount of time does that mean your time can be now? I think no, not in most cases.

But what about people who are brain dead? That's when we take them off life support currently. It's the only thing keeping them alive.

Seeing your loved one in pain is miserable. I think that person needs to be very strong and honest with them self about life and what remains. What living can be done? If there's nothing but the inevitable, and it just isn't worth it... If it's not worth the pain and the suffering, then I say you let them choose.

But I can't stress enough that the choice is something very deliberate. To romanticize about death should be behind that person, and no longer part of the equation. I think if it's that serious - their condition, their prognosis, their pain - then ok.

Eric! likes this.
  15. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I really like what you wrote and I think it’s a well grounded opinion. I still struggle with the thought of people taking their own lives. I would much rather offer them something to take the edge off- something that would ease the constant pain and misery (alcohol, drugs), and then allow nature to take its course from there, if that makes any sense. Putting something out of its misery is something that’s done to animals (horses that can no longer walk or run, for example), and even then is it still right? Like I said, I struggle with this topic, but I truly get other people’s decisions to do it, just not sure if I could ever support it.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    soulcompromise likes this.
  16. soulcompromise

We had to put two dogs to sleep in recent years. They died about a year and a half apart; one had cancer, the other I can't remember why but my parents put her down too. It's tough, and very sad. But I see that along the same lines. When it's appropriate is often really subjective. People must make considerations about quality of life. But I struggled with those dogs and that! Who am I to say that the animal can't adapt? For example, in the case of one of our dogs, Suzi, the surgery for the suspected carcinoma (I guess they don't biopsy on dogs because of the cost) could have made it hard to walk. So part of the rationale for putting her down was that she wouldn't adapt well to either limping on that leg, or worse, amputation. I would have loved the dog anyway, but they had made up their minds.

So when the quality of life is diminished, can anyone really say where the sits the point of no return? I don't know.

Eric! likes this.
  17. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

In the UK although not really admitted to, they do help in hospice, I know this for a fact as they did with my Mother.

18. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

I had a family member, who's ins. paid a max of 1 million, when that ran out. She died shortly later.

19. I've joined Compassion and Choices to help me when I'm ready to go. They are the successor to Neptune Society.

20. nudistguyny

nudistguyny Senior Member

When a close love one is dying due to a illness. And that person really has no hope of recovery. and is suffering. Then I think that option should be available to that person. But for any other reason NO it should not be a option

Candy Gal likes this.