should assisted suicide be allowed?

Discussion in 'The Hip Polls' started by The Instinct, Mar 27, 2013.

1. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Sorry to hear you lost your friend, Scratcho. Probably for the best, but I'm sure it's still tough to loose somebody.

1 person likes this.
  2. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i think people should have the right to die if they want to, but i don't think hospitals should be allowed to kill people for being poor or uninsured.

there's all these legal forms and releases now, page after page, you or your next of kin have to sign, but they all boil down to do you want to be kept alive no matter what, or do you want to let the hospital kill you if they feel like it.

i don't see this as being really the option of having a right to live or die as you choose yourself.

3. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Assisted suicide goes on all the time. Many people that are in Hospices are given Morphine in stronger and stronger doses until they expire.

The pursuit of happiness is a constitutional right.

4. luv88

luv88 Members

I think it's each person's choice what to do with their life. Law can't forbid any girl to marry the wrong man and riun her life, it can't forbid abortion, so I think this should be legal.

5. Nudebob

Nudebob Members

If it would in anyway prevent folks from taking others with them when they go, I'm for it.

6. PunchDrunkKitten

PunchDrunkKitten borne on the fm waves of a broken heart

I whole heartedly support the idea of assisted suicide for the elderly, or those with terminal illness who would rather skip the otherwise inevitable agony much like when a pet is suffering and the owners opt to put them down rather than allow them to continue living in pain for no real reason as well as someone opting to have their plug pulled/be labeled DNR if they reach a vegitative/likely fatal state.
    I dont however think any Tom Dick or Harry should be able to walk into a specified facility, and simply pay a fee at the counter to be euthanized as this would obvioudly lead to a lot of whiny teenagers and catastrophizing mental patient ending their lives irrationally in much a similar fashion as the suicide boothes on Futurama likely did. Though this kind of completely publicly available facilitation of suicide would probably cut down on the resource strain put on societies by those who choose to take their lives in public, ie jumpers and people who shoot themselves in public places of emotional significance.
    I agree with Nudebob that so long as it lowers stats of murder-suicides such legislation would be ultimately more beneficial than not, and feel like enacting some such legislation would probably do just that in significant numbers.

Bilby likes this.
  7. abarambling

abarambling Banned

I personally think it should be allowed, for anyone over the age of 18, in any situation. It would decrease accidents from failed attempts at suicide, because people would have the resources to properly committ sucicide. Let's be real, no ER nurse or doctor wants to deal with all these overdoses on over the counter sleep medications, so there will be definately a decrease in that, becuase people would actually be killing themselves. It would give people the chance to really know if they want to go through with suicide. I can't explain it, but I feel like it's the same thing as going to an abortion center. Granted, I've never had this experience before. Close calls, but not full on baby making. Anyways, having a choice in the matter makes it more serious, I guess. Even though, it's already serious, so that doesn't make sense, either. I'm assuming that with these resources that help you to actually kill yourself, that there will also be resources to help you get your affairs in order, talk to your loves ones about your decsion, and a social work network, if that is how you say it, to get outside services if you do decide to change your mind. Overall, it won't be as taboo anymore. It will just be something that some people do privately. Overall, I'm for it. If something like this was going on I would have offed myself a lot time ago. Last time I tried I broke my ankle. I tried three times in total. Three fucking times. I need help, and not mental help. I need someone to assist me. It's hard, to go off killing yourself, both mentally and physically. You need the support, which I know how ironic that sounds. So, put those hands underneath your butt, and don't type. I'm watching you! Though, statistically someone like me eventually gets it right after so many failed attempts. I wonder how many times Robin William attempted it. Not that I am suicidial. I'm just saying that if say tomorrow there was an agency like this, I would go for it. And I have tried. And I am pretty sure I will try again. Not now, becuase I'm not suicidial, but I'm generally over life, and have been over it for quite some time. So, right now I'm just going through the motions, and enjoying simple wonders when I can get them. Overall, yea... I'm for it.

8. secret_thinker

secret_thinker Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

No, it wouldn't decrease the incidence in failed attempts because lots of failed attempts are a cry for help, not saying that people should not be given help but the mental health system (here at least) is in dire straights. Furthermore, any assisted suicide law that is passed is not just going to allow someone to legally top themselves because they have mental health issues.

Worst argument to legalise something so serious. Society deems many things not to be taboo that are completely fucked up anyway.

Sorry, you are posting in a public forum.

9. abarambling

abarambling Banned

You can't just say 'no', or 'worse arguement' and then think that proves your point. I'm sorry, I can't really say anything besides that, becuase you're not giving me anything to argue against. If you said something like there would still be a high accident rate because people would feel too embarrassed, or to ashamed to go to these agencies because it's still going to be a taboo to the majority of society, becuase it has to do with religion, not just killing yourself. Then I would have understood where you're coming from.

I know the disadvantages of it. But, there are advantages as well. It's like that for all things, even something as immoral as suicide,

10. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Suicide immoral? What makes it immoral? Someone lying in bed with no hope of ever having a normal life again and is in horrible pain is immoral
    for seeking relief? I think that until one goes through having to watch a relative moan and groan from pain or be made unconscious to preclude
    pain----some understanding is due.

It's been the law here for 18 years and I presume that it is working as planned.

11. nakedrhode

nakedrhode Member

I am disabled and sometimes in alot of pain and unable to do very much . I have talked about this with the family and I hope when it gets to a point of untollerable pain and unable to do things for myself and I choose to end it someone will be understanding enough to at least make me able to choose if I want to go .

12. bbbong999

bbbong999 Members

1 bullet to the head, it's suicide.
    3 bullets to the head, it's murder.

13. Slunted

Slunted 'long time listener, first time caller'

Absolutely people who are suffering a terminal illness with only the prospect of a miserable slow painful death should be able to punch the clock.

14. sherman march

sherman march Members

Many people who want this suffer from some degree of depression. If you want to commit suicide, then just do it. Instead, people who don't have the guts to kill themselves want somebody else to do it for them. Some people do it in the form of "suicide by police". Then the poor cop has to suffer knowing he shot a suicidal person who didn't have the nerve to simply to put their gun to their own head and pull the trigger.

15. It is in victoria, australia.

16. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

parua likes this.
  17. nudistguyny

nudistguyny Senior Member

Watching a loved one suffering from pain, bed ridden. With the lost of control of body functions. Knowing that they are terminal. At the point that they can no longer eat. And are feed through a IV. Yes I feel it should be a legal option. They know they are dying. So why do we prolong their pain? Terminal cancer sucks

18. srgreene

srgreene Members

I would not be as broad accepting about it as you appear to be. Most of us are suicidal at some point in our lives (I have been). But I do agree there should be a path for many people. I know I don't want to get into my mother-in-law's situation- she suffered a great deal the last year or so of her life.

19. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

It SHOULD be allowed...

The problem is our asshole government and moronic bureaucracy screwed it all to hell. I don't know about other Countries, but here in Canada our government loves to take a good idea and fuck it to death and shit all over it until there's absolutely nothing good left. Yup, you can have your assisted death. But you have to have it when THEY say you can have it. They'll schedule it WAY before you actually want to go, because heaven forbid you lose any soundness of mind.

20. Grandeur

Grandeur Members

Eutanosia must be legal for anybody over the age of 21. Sick or Healthy doesnt matter.

But it is illegal for people who are not sick.