should assisted suicide be allowed?

Discussion in 'The Hip Polls' started by The Instinct, Mar 27, 2013.

1. ScrubPuppy

ScrubPuppy Member

I would hope those many factors are considered. As for the terminally depressed, I would think that counseling would be in order, providing they can afford it. :(

2. The Instinct

The Instinct Member

I get counseling and so far it hasn't worked! meds too! clinically depressed I am and im upset about it! im also paralyzed! thank heavens for thc!

3. JimInPhila

JimInPhila Member

I think for some people, it should be mandatory.

1 person likes this.
  4. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Assisted Suicide is legal where I'm from.

But there's lots of legal paperwork that has to be filled from the patient, the family, and the hospital, just to prove that all sides agree.

5. The Instinct

The Instinct Member

great! Oregon has a smart thing going!

6. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

depends on the circumstance.

7. canon9

canon9 Member

Society is kinder to animals than we are to humans relating to aging and illness. Basically the option is controlled by the so called righteous, politicians and lawyers Who benefits? Insurance Companies, Drug Companies and Health Care.

1 person likes this.
  8. Ernesto Apocaloptimisto

Ernesto Apocaloptimisto self-banned

Allowed? I think it should be encouraged!

National ad campaign:
    Do you hate your life? Are you negative all of the time? Have you lost hope? Do you believe in heaven/hell? Do you need authority to be a good person? Do you have no idea how to support yourself other than by participating in a corrupt, inherently unfair and unsustainable system? Do you have no ambition to improve your situation? Do you have no real friends? Have you decided to be constantly selfish instead of helping your community? Have you lost all respect for nature? Are you in pain constantly or otherwise tortured by unhealable physical/mental conditions? Are you a burden on your friends, family, and community?

If you answered yes to these questions, we have a pill that will cure you, and it only takes one! But for it to work, you'll need to be lying in a hole at least six feet deep when you take the pill! Free yourself now!

9. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

Yep, "assisted suicide" should be an established, paved path and road for the damned. It should be no man, woman or industry's "right" to profit off of the prolonged suffering of the damned.

10. The Instinct

The Instinct Member

since my injury that changed my life in the wrong way, checking out of it would be the ideal option for me but too many control freaks prevent that from happening. not like im particularly "suicidal" but life and people would just be better without me.

11. deleted

deleted Visitor

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i think every sapient person has a natural moral right to terminate their own physical current existence.

but i do worry about a for profit health care industry, taking the liberty of terminating non-profitable patients.
    and i have personal experiences that lead me to conclude such concerns are not unfounded.

13. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

As long as their corpses are used as fertilizer in 3rd world countries

14. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

To me it seems like a basic human right.

15. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

I don't like the idea of it personally. I "agree" with it, I guess... but not how I've been hearing about people planning it. I mean, who knows? By some miracle your quality of life could change or they might find a cure for what ails you right at the last minute...

A quote from Jimi Hendrix

"There was a young girl, whose heart was a frown,
    Because she was crippled for life, and couldn't speak a sound
    And she wished and prayed she would stop living, so she decided to die.
    She drew her wheel chair to the edge of the shore, and to her legs she smiled

"You won't hurt me no more."
    But then a sight she'd never seen made her jump and say
    "Look, a golden winged ship is passing my way"

1 person likes this.
  16. morrow

morrow Visitor

Hate this subject!
    There are end of life plans put in place. Some people just like to pick their time.
    Vulnerable mental health people, could get it wrong, they need protecting!
    Some hospitals in the UK, will bring end of life closer to minimize pain and suffering.
    People wanting to end their life because the feel a burden to others, is not a good reason. People who dont want to die in pain, is not a good reason, drugs prevent this.
    Life should be lived till the very last moment.. just my opinion.

1 person likes this.
  17. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

the Supreme Court of Canada has recently struck down the ban on doctor assisted suicide.

1 person likes this.
  18. Jenny40

Jenny40 Members

Absolutely. It should be written into the Human Rights Act. To ban it is inhumane.

This subject pisses me off greatly. Ultimately, it is MY life. I want to choose when to end it, and it is absolutely not the right of some other person who has no f*cking knowledge of me to decide.

19. The Instinct

The Instinct Member

signed confession from the participant

20. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My step grampa suffered greatly at home, because the doctor didn't want him to enter the VA,(WW1) which he was qualified for. ($$$) He finally couldn't take it, crawled to the closet where he had kept his 22 rifle and used it on himself. He would have chosen it for sure. That was back in '58 in California. I feel like the first time someone has to change a diaper for me--I want gone. Anyway--we have it here as was mentioned.

One of my oldest friends died yesterday. He lived here in Oregon and had been suffering a lot for quite a while. He obviously didn't want to take advantage of the law. It's done under a willing doctors supervision.