Should .AGR rants be taken seriously?

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by Professor Jumbo, May 26, 2004.

1. Professor Jumbo

Professor Jumbo Mr. Smarty Pants

Okay, I'm on the .agr list mostly for info about directions to gatherings, ride share, and etcetra. Anyhow it seems that about every week there is someone on there claiming that this or that group is attempting to destroy or take over rainbow family. Recently it has been someone claiming that the peace conspiracy folks are trying to take over rainbow family, charge admission to gatherings, and sign all of the permits.

Does anybody know if there is any reason to take such rants seriously at all? Or are these folks really as kooky as they seem?

2. graven

graven Member

The Rainbow family is not an organization, so there really can't be any 'takeover'. I'll go where I want and camp with whoever I choose. If 100 other people decide they are going to camp in the same area, thats fine. I think the 'rainbow family' needs to stop taking itself so seriously. If you wanna go camp in the woods and party and pray for peace, go ahead! Sheesh. It's silly to worry about takeovers and fees and all.

edited...if there are permits being signed, and I don't agree with what is being 'permitted' I won't camp there. Simple.

3. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

NAMASTE

For one thing Peaceconspiracy is made up of Rainbow Family who hold peaceful gatherings in the summer.No take over of any kind there.I grew up around were there are at and keep contact with them all the time and that hes never come up in anyway.It is Peaceconspiracy that now got welecomehere.org up so that does not seem like a take over in anyway.In a vision though at the last Oregon National it was said there would be smaller clans holding gathering.The L.O.V.E. Family who i help start groups around for drumiongs and potlucks and Peaceconspiracy dose the same and many clans hold getogethers.No way is this in anyform a take over.And what could you take Over free thinking people??????If it was not for clans of Rainbow lots of people would not gather or know what it is about.I know when in Colorado i held a L.O.V.E.Family potluck and Druming many came and said they wish more of this would go on.Lots of folks can not make it to the Nationals and so Regionals and Potlucks offer them a chance to gettogether and share and spread love.There has been foras long as i can remember someone bitching about this and that.Just take that stuff with a grain of salt.

4. raven23

raven23 Member

AGR is a waste of time. Spam, rants and endless arguements about the permit issue. I'd rather debate abortion than be involved in another permit discussion.

5. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

I gave up on AGR years ago, man. Between the flame wars, misinformation, disinformation, flame wars, and non-Rainbow related bullshit, I might find a useful piece of information, like an obituary of one of my old bros, but the "Signal-to-Noise" ratio on that newsgroup is terribly high.

"Taking over the Family"...Let's say you succeed at this...they are your Rainbow Hippies now...what the heck are you gonna do with them? If anybody can ever get the damn hippies to cover their shit, disappear their campsites, and pack out their trash, I will be the first one to kneel before him, and Hail the King of Rainbow.

6. BobbinBecca

BobbinBecca Member

"King of the Rainbow" I just used that phrase today too!! A total joe newbie is trying to go with us and we were describing what to expect, and it just kept getting more and more out-there, but all true and possible, so I was saying and maybe you can hike out way up above the gathering in all the backwoods and come upon the High Holies, get really really high with them, and they'll tell you all the secrets of the Rainbow, and dub you King of the Rainbow and then we all just fell down laughing. I'm leaving ASAP for the West, figure out what's doing on the way... :)
    Oh I'm OT. AGR, IRS, FS whatever it's all just letters to me. I rather like AGR, it's like a back alley city street and there's slime and bright lights, the good the bad and the ugly. Filters you can use to help get only posts that you like, and you can filter just certain people or keywords...
    Loving you,
    Bee

7. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

NAMASTE

Wanderingturnup11 i am with ya there.I stay away myself from that stuff.One day they are mad at one brother the next a sister.To much drama for me.When i you got a beef take it to the one you have the beef with.leave the sites for what they are for not bitching.Just had to say that
    and get it off my chest.

8. Professor Jumbo

Professor Jumbo Mr. Smarty Pants

This is good, at least from my point of view. I mean it is good that .AGR is a buncha trolls and flamerthrowers and paranoids. You see, I signed up on .ARG a few months ago while looking for all things rainbow. If I listened only to the crud on .AGR I would be not at all disposed to going to a gathering, they make gatherings sound horrible. Now that I find out that they really are just a buncha wack jobs (something that I had kinda assumed from the beginning) I don't have to concern myself overly much with their rantings.

9. dawn_sky

dawn_sky Senior Member

OK, so this is a bit off topic, but since someone already commented on it... But first, to the original question, most .agr rants should not be taken seriously. A few are worth reading if you are a newbie, if you can filter out the negativity & just get to the parts that are useful -- for example, in a rant about people not digging shitters right, you may be able to learn what not to do & how to do it right, if you can ignore the bitchiness of the rant.
    I haven't been to many gatherings lately, but I was around for a lot of the background drama with peaceconspiracy. One of the major probems people have with them is that, at least a few years ago, they would hold Peace Conspiracy Camp Outs, but not make enuf of a distinction between their gigs & rainbow gatherings. Then people show up expecting a gathering & get upset. One major incident involved a mama with 2 or 3 small children being upset that everyone was drinking (which should be limited to A-camp at a Gathering but at least then was accepted everywhere at peace conspiracy events).

In whatever year the Nationals were in Montana, I myself witnessed people saying they were going to a "rainbow gathering" in the Ozarks area AFTER the Ozarks Regional (this was 2-4 years after the incident mentioned above with the mama with small kids). When I asked about it, they described the peace conspiracy camp out. Yeah, that was years ago, so in theory they could have changed, but they didn't show any indication that they saw anything wrong with things as they were back then, so I wouldn't be surprised if the same misinformation was still getting around. They can sign all the permits they want & even charge admission for peace conspiracy events, which I know they do as fundraisers when they put a concert together but I don't know about any other time. The problem comes in when people show up for what they think will be a rainbow gathering & find a peace conspiracy camp out instead.

(And, while this may be taken as an off-topic rant, it is an example of how you can learn what not to do, in this case how to avoid drama if you want to set up your own land trust corporation & host your own personal rainbow-style camp outs)

10. raven23

raven23 Member

I've gone to actual regionals expecting them to be rainbow gatherings and they've been more like drunken camp-outs. But I still met a lot of kind family, and even met my fiance at one of these gatherings. One never knows what to expect from a gathering. best not to get too uptight about it. no rainbow 'event' is without it's magic.

11. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

Here's a conspiracy theory for everybody...Maybe back in the '90s, Stephen Principle and the old Leagal Liason crew actually succeeded in taking over the Family...SP just didn't tell anybody, the sly dog, and going to prison over the '99 PA Gathering was just part of his cover. (See The Spy Who Came In From The Cold) So, now, Saccarow, Rainbow Management Team, Peace Conspiracy, and all these other newcommers who are trying to Take Over the Family are really trying to take it over from him...