Should Abortion Be Legal?

Discussion in 'Question of the Week!' started by skip, Jun 27, 2022.

?

Should Abortion Be Legal?

1. Yes, it's completely up to the woman!

35 vote(s)
    61.4%
  2. No, not under any circumstances!

5 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. Yes, but only if pregnant by rape or incest

6 vote(s)
    10.5%
  4. Yes, but only if fetus is less than 16 weeks

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. Let the states decide.

8 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

christians tend to value highly the moments of birth and death. Among these two happenings, there lies the vast plain of their indifference.

TwinT likes this.
  2. Scarecrow13

Scarecrow13 Members

Could you give an example of Christian indifference? Christians give more to charity than any other group.
    New study: religious faith and reading the Bible increases generosity.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
  3. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

Banning abortion causes 1) the return of clandestine abortions 2) unwanted children living in poverty. tossing some charity at them won't solve any problem and since everyone knows that well already, it is obvious that christians care much about imposing their ideology but not really about the welfare of mankind. so yes, they are big hypocrites.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  4. Wally Pitcher

Wally Pitcher Members

I could only support the ban on abortion, at such time that there is an unlimited population of "Christians" available to adopt and nurture unwanted infants. Let young mothers who have only made only one serious mistake go back to school and have a chance of happiness. Along with that all Christians abandon hypocrisy and repeal the death penalty. Hardly a day goes by wherein a Death Row inmate is vindicated of a capitol crime due to the analysis of their DNA. Remember that the human population is reaching the point wherein all animals on this planet face extinction due to loss of habitat caused by an out of control population explosion. Massive famine is looming in the near future n=and human extinction is at hand.

5. Mark Blomquist

Mark Blomquist Members

Not only should it be legal but they should pay for it and give credit to employers to give 1 week of paid vacation. The facility should issue an ITIN to the extract tumor and it should be given a vehicle type of identity in the irs computer so that the ITINs will be recycled. With that ITIN we should issue a 1500 credit for Excise Tax Egregious Attack On Individual. It is a refundable credit.

6. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

This is a very important point. These children are also more likely to go on to produce more unwanted children.

While I hear members saying that it is wrong under all circumstances and I agree that it may be the case for them, I wonder whether they would feel the same if they were the victim of a violent rape.

~Zen~ likes this.
  7. themnax

themnax Senior Member

absolutely it should be legal. however, other means of lowering the human birthrate should be more strongly encouraged.

~Zen~ likes this.
  8. Ekate

Ekate Members

Vote, "Yes, it's completely up to the woman!"

One side this is right any woman in other side this is murder in the truest sense of the word, from a biological point of view abortion, we killing lived developing creature.

Dig lower sorry for amoral comment: when man masturbates, hi killing sperm this is to live creatures like a fact this is infanticide.. I’m silent about sexual intercourse that ends in cannibalism...

I'm in neutral position about this...

~Zen~ likes this.
  9. wilsjane

Not in a nasty way, but you really made me laugh.

I could imagine the chat up line, "Quick, lets go upstairs, before I murder any more babies".
    With sufficient energy, a guy could produce 100 babies a week, but he would still be murdering several thousand more.

Perhaps bees have got it all worked out.
    When a virgin queen is born, she flies around until most of the drones (male bees) drop from exhaustion chasing her. Then when the last man standing catches up, they go off and have a party. In order to produce tens of thousands of babies, the poor drone gets the whole lot ripped off. Then to stop him from ever being unfaithful she kills him.
    Then the couple of thousand eggs she lays every week are with the exception of a few female. However to prevent them all breading like bunny rabbits and turning the entire planet into a scene for a horror movie, the females are sterile.
    You have to feel sorry for the poor sterile females born during summer, they are so busy making honey, within 3 weeks they die from overwork.
    But the Queen is not stupid, every week, she adds some royal jelly to about 10 female egg cells, allowing them to produce fertile females. But she stings last weeks batch to kill them before they hatch and steal her crown.
    However, if the hive becomes overcrowded, for reasons unknown to man, she allows a queen cell to hatch. The poor virgin queen runs for her life, followed by the drones and about 30% of the workers from the overcrowded hive follow. This is what we call a bee swarm and a new colony is formed, normally chased around by the bee keeper an given a brand new hive.

End of todays HF biology lesson, compliments of your resident nutty professor. :)

~Zen~ and Ekate like this.
  10. Scarecrow13

Scarecrow13 Members

There are actually more people waiting to adopt than there are children to adopt. We need to cut much of the red tape and how prohibitively expensive adoption is. I agree with you on the death penalty, there are too many cases of people being unjustly executed.
    American Adoptions - How Many Couples are Waiting to Adopt a Baby?

11. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

This is incorrect.

There should be no question about legality.
    The only question is why should it be illegal?

12. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I absolutely believe abortion should be fully legal, but there are those who call it murder, saying the right to life begins at conception and no woman has the right to end that life. Thus in many places it's illegal.

I assume themnax is referring to birth control and I agree, birth control should be easily available and cheap or even free!

13. MeAgain

Yes, well if we want to go down that road life began way back about 3.7 billion years ago.

14. skip

skip Founder Administrator

I just saw where someone had "Feminists vs. Fascists" on a shirt while protesting in front of the Supreme Court. There's an ongoing protest as the Supreme Court once again gets to rule on abortion.

The current case is about the legality and accessibility of the abortion pills in the US.

15. MeAgain

Gee, I wonder how that'll turn out?

16. princess peedge

princess peedge Members

Call me weird, but I firmly believe a woman's rights are more important than the rights of a 10 day old fetus the size of a pea.

Abortion restrictions have nothing to do with being pro life. The self-proclaimed pro life folks are anti universal healthcare, pro death penalty, pro war, anti trans healthcare, and pro gun in a society where mass shootings in elementary schools happen.

There is absolutely no argument you can make that this is a pro life issue. This is about controlling women and nothing else.

Native Vee, scratcho, ~Zen~ and 2 others like this.
  17. Bazz888

Bazz888 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I think so many people look at the specific issue ( in isolation ) and make their decision without even considering there will be intended and/or unintended consequences.
    Unless everything is considered no decision or opinion will mean anything and won't achieve a sustainable solution.

Furthermore, unless the person making comment has been in the situation of potentially needing an abortion or actually having one, they're in no position to comment or judge.
    It's an emotive issue and unless a person has felt the emotions involved, they won't know what they are talking about.

I recall the saying about contraception and the Pope holding an opinion: "If you don't play the game, you can't make the rules".

It is not an easy decision for most women to make.
    It's desperately upsetting for many.
    Some say it's traumatic.
    I know some who resent the contraception companies because they did everything as they were instructed yet they still fell pregnant.

As a man, I think it is the woman's right to have a say in this and should be allowed to decide. It is her body after all...

Piney and ~Zen~ like this.
  18. Bazz888

I get your point but, for the benefit f those at the back, is there non-violent rape? Nope. It is a violent crime full-stop.

wilsjane and ~Zen~ like this.
  19. wilsjane

That is a difficult one, since what happens in private can have a different outcome after the event.
    A stranger jumping out of the bushes certainly leaves no questions, as does rape by a comparative stranger or fellow worker after few too many drinks at a party.
    At the other end of the scale, you get someone who is already in a sexual relationship and is upset because her horny night did not get her that new car
    Needless to say, their is a huge grey area in the middle, which often police, lawyers and judges cannot work out between them.

~Zen~ likes this.
  20. Bazz888

If a woman is raped, she is violated, which is a violent thing mentally if not also physically.
    And yes, after a few too many drinks or a horny night, with rape being the accusation after the event, I don't consider that rape but more a regretful thing.

It's put paid to any early on naughty fun, for me. I wouldn't risk being permitted and then afterwards, being accused.