Shooting 35mm film

Discussion in 'Photography' started by lunarverse, Mar 9, 2014.

1. lunarverse

lunarverse The Living End

Does anyone here still shoot film? I recently started getting back into it. I picked myself up two slrs. A Pentax k1000 and a Ricoh KR-5 Super.

So, after shooting a few rolls I realised my choices for development were Walmart or snail mail. Walmart charges either 85 cents a print (multiply that by 24 exposures) or 5 dollars for your pictures on a disk along with your negatives. No good..

So, I picked up some used darkroom equipment and some new chemistry. I've yet to use it, I'm waiting for some developer I ordered.

Anways, thought I'd throw this out there to see if there's any 35mm fans still around. Maybe we can talk about film, printing, darkroom, etc.

2. dark_river

dark_river Member

I loved shooting film, and I miss it quite a bit. I must confess I'm a bit envious, as I was at one time very close to getting my own little darkroom set up. Circumstances changed and I've had to put that endeavor on hold.

I'm assuming you're going to be doing strictly black & white work - is that correct, or are you actually set up for C-41 or E-6 processing?

Despite its reputation for being overly contrasty, I was planning on starting with T-Max film, as I read that there is a lot that can be done in processing, and it's such a common film stock. I know Agfa made some great B&W film, too. What's your initial film and chemistry going to be?

3. lunarverse

Hey!

The used gear I bought came with some used chemicals. I could do colour, but I've read the chemicals are harsher and require more... work, to dispose of. I'd like to be as least harmful with this as possible. And I do genuinely like the look of b&w much more. It's timeless.

It's surprisingly inexpensive to get started. The biggest expense naturally is the enlarger. I got an inexpensive one made in communist Poland apparently. So, it's economical, and afforable.

I'm not too picky about film, though I'm sure I'll become picky soon. I've shot a roll of kodak, some econo brand, and I've yet to shoot my Ilford. So, I'm going to do some comparing. The econo was 4, the Ilford 10. So, that gives me a range to compare.

As for chemicals; Kodak D76 film developer, vinegar and water stop for film and paper (cheap and harmless), and Ilford rapid fixer for film and paper, and Kodak Polymax T paper developer. All in all I think the chemicals cost me... 40 bucks?

Film is getting harder come by. I may look into rolling my own eventually. For now though I've bitten off enough to keep me busy!

4. dark_river

dark_river Member

Well, I'm looking forward to hearing about how things go for you, and what you discover in terms of peferred film stock and chemistry.

I haven't ordered film in a long time, but I remember Adorama and B&H being great online suppliers, with good selection and prices, fwiw.

I think you're right about equipment being pretty inexpensive these days; I think setting up a proper darkroom may be the biggest challenge for me. For film processing, I could just use a changing bag, but for enlarging I'd need a real darkroom. I do have a nice film scanner, so I have considered using a hybrid approach using a changing bag for film processing and then scanning the negatives for printing, but it does take half the fun out of the whole thing.

Very best of luck to you! Keep posting as you start experimenting. I'm glad someone else still appreciates the virtues of film.

5. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

Ur gonna need an enlarger, unless u plan to scan at high resolution and print....but then I don't think ur getting the real feel of pure film photography.

For B/W go for something like Ilford...the b/w film they sell at places like Walmart is actually the same processed as color film and really isn't true black and white film..it is supposed to be developed like color film and has a different look.

You ca can do some cool things in Photoshop, but u can also do a lot of cool things in the darkroom like dodging/burning and push processing film/ and of course double exposure.

6. lunarverse

From what I've read online people adore Adorama. I just picked up two rolls of Kentmere 400 ISO b&w. I'm excited to give them a try. If it works out I plan on ordering bulk from either of those two places. They sell it for 3.50 a roll instead of 5. I'll let you know how my experience with them how that goes.

I wouldn't say so. Whatever gets you enjoying it and having a good time in the process, pun not intended, is worth it. How organic the process is is really a secondary concern, in my opinion. It's all about fun and self satisfaction.

Thank you, I sure will! It's great finding another film enthusiast!

7. lunarverse

Walmart here (Canada) only sells Kodak gold 200, Kodak ultrmax 400, and occasionally Fuji 400. All colour.

Fortunately there's a couple good camera stores left that have more options. Unfortunately they take advantage of how esoteric the medium is by charging upwards of 10 dollars or more a roll. Sometimes 15.

I do have a roll of Ilford, I don't think it's c41 processing as you mentioned. I hope not, but now I'm unsure.. The Kentmere I just got isn't. As you said, authentic is always better. I've heard the c41 b&w.. I.E. Kodak 400BN whatever it's called, is junk.

8. dark_river

dark_river Member

Well ok, I think you lit the fuse on my long-dormant plan to shoot and develop film again.

I've pretty much made up my mind to do it, without a darkroom at first, and try my hand at developing and scanning the film until I get set up properly for printing. I did a lot of film scanning when I was shooting E6 before, and had that down to a science. If I can deal with that kind of limited exposure latitude and blocked up shadows, I think I'll be able to do ok with this... eventually.

I've also settled on Tri-X and HC-110 as a starting point. It's a very traditional combination, with lots of great documentation out there.

Do let us know how your endeavors are going. I have yet to gather equipment so I won't have anything to share for a little while.

Btw, in case you haven't checked them out yet, be sure to take a look at the APUG (analog photography users group) site, as well as photo.net and the "massive dev chart." Google searches will take you right to any of these.

9. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

I have a minolta x-7a..didnt work when i got it (free)...i fixed the shutter it just needed a new capacitor..came with a few lenses and lots of filters

never got around to ever taking pictures with it.

10. lunarverse

APUG and photo.neg are fantastic sites. They've become my bible the past few weeks.

I developed some film the other night. My set up is still crude, but I feel that makes it more fun, and I am just beginning.

I've mixed and marked my D-76. My stop is a 2 liter of Heinz vinegar and my tub faucet, and I have 2 liters of the Ilford rapid fix which I mix on a per use basis.

I've developed a couple rolls of film. I was going to develop some prints tonight but I've lost my (analog) wrist watch, which just so happens to be my timer.. So that is currently on hold.

It's always the little things.

11. dark_river

dark_river Member

How did your negatives come out?

I've ordered everything I should need to develop my film, and I've settled on tri-x in HC-110 with Ilford rapid fixer (no hardener.)

I've also ordered 2 rolls of 120 film for a very old 6x6 camera I have. Should be interesting to shoot manually and develop manually. Really going back to basics!

12. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

I'm inheriting my grandad's Leica M6 camera and two Leica lenses later this week. Been needing a good camera for travel and my signs and metalwork. We have a darkroom at school but i don't know how functional or well equipped it is. There also a place here in Atlanta that has a darkroom and studio space in other disciplines that you can join for $60/year. I got a lot of learning to do!!!

Good friend of mine owns an antique store and specializes in quality vintage cameras and supplies.. has all kinds of lenses and sells film so i'm just about all set.

i'm stoked

13. lunarverse

My negatives turned out wonderful! I spent four rolls on nature hikes and developed them, all turned out excellent.

My safelight is bogus, I should NOT have tried to save money there.. So, I developed all in complete darkness, feeling around and such. Buy a proper safelight bulb and make your life easier!

My chemicals all work great and they mixed perfectly. Everything's been great. But again, complete blackness.. BUY A GOOD SAFELIGHT! LOL

Though working in the dark really isn't that hard.

14. wtfisthatkid

wtfisthatkid Member

I still shoot film!
    I have a nice fancy nikon DSLR as well, but I have 2 konica 35mm bodies, a nikon 35mm, a holga, a brownie target six-sixteen i plan on modding to use 120 film, and an Imperial box camera, also shoots six-sixteen.