Sharing Your Bed

Discussion in 'Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Trans, etc.' started by Duncan, May 29, 2004.

1. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I am from an Anglo-Saxon background (well, let's just say white lower-middle-class American). When I was a pre-teen I shared a bedroom with my older brother. We had one of those daybeds wherein the bottom bed pulled outward and then was raised so that both beds were side by side.
    When I moved out on my own I always slept by myself.
    On a few occasions I have had to share my bed for sleeping space as I do not own a couch. It's generally a mutually agreeable arrangment.
    My question : Have you ever shared your bed with someone with whom you weren't intimate? How long is the longest you would want to do that?

2. monosphere

monosphere Holly's Hubby

I shared a bed with a friend when she and I went on vacation. We usually stayed at B&B's which had one bed in each room. Well, we were poor, so we bunked up. Totally platonic and it was only for a little over a week. I can share my bed without any hanky panky for a short time, but I wouldn't want to do it on any long term arrangement. What if I wanted to bring someone home? What if they did? I'd think it would get annoying pretty quick.

3. butterfly

butterfly Member

I've shared beds with most of my close friends...

4. rocknroll_girl

rocknroll_girl Member

I think with girls this tends to not even be much of a question...I mean most of my female friends and I have shared beds countless times at countless sleepovers, so we don't really think twice about it.

I've shared beds with cousins, with my brother on one occasion, and a few times with my best friend Nick.
    It's fine for a few nights but as a permenant arrangement might get annoying.

5. psyche

psyche fun for the whole family

we didn't have a lot of money when i was a kid so my sister and i shared a bed for a while there. it was a big queen size and we were small girls so it wasn't really like sharing a bed. but i am a cuddly sleeper, and most of my friends are so we don't mind sharing beds and snuggling up, specially when it's cold. with male friends it's a bit more awkward but i've had many sleepovers with my friend kevin and it's fine. depends on the person i guess.

6. Sunburst

Sunburst Fairy

This week I'm going on a 3-night hiking/camping trip with my outdoor living class in school, and i'm sleeping in a tent with another lesbian:p

7. Defence_mechanism

Defence_mechanism Member

yeah ive shared my bed with people without bring intimate. guys, girls... either it doesnt bother me. just so long as it doesnt bother them. but you're right, it could get awkward if it was for a time longer than say a week.

8. WalrusKeeper

WalrusKeeper Member

Certainly - often when a friend has just broken up with someone, or something has happened to distress them, I find myself spending a non-intimate night with them.:)

9. peaceful420

peaceful420 Member

When I was younger me and my best friends used to always sleep in the same bed. It's easier for girls to share beds than guys, and I remember people making fun of guys when a rumor was spread that they shared the same bed during a sleepover. I'm sure a lot of people have.

10. daysye

daysye dumb as a box of hammers

while i was in pa i stayed at a friends house along with my best friend.....we all three shared a bed even though we could each of had our own bed.....but my best friend had to sleep in the middle because i kick in my sleep and move around a lot and i don't do that with her for some reason....we slept like that for 2 weeks.....that was i think the longest time that i actually slept with someone and wasn't having sex with them......

11. weep

weep Senior Member

I´ve been on a language vacation/student travel thing where we lived with host families and I were in that family with another girl from the group. (They decided short term to give 2 students a home) So, the other girl and I had to choose if we´d spent the nights together in the guestroom or one of us there and one of us in the living room. We were both scared of sleeping alone in this open living room so we prefered sleeping in the same bed. We didn´t know us at all (!) at the beginning but we became really good friends! We slept in the same bed for 4 weeks and it was totally good! We also had no problem with continue, but the vacation was over. I guess we became like sisters, we were a happy family back then.

12. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I don't share a bed with my long term partner, we have a fully sexual relationship, I just can't sleep with someone els ein my space, I feel hemmed in, when I do, I don't tend to sleep that well
    S

13. txbarefooter

txbarefooter Senior Member

I'm with Samhain, share a bed for sex only yes, to sleep with I won't sleep worth a shit I feel boxed in

14. mushie18

mushie18 Intergalactic

I sleep in the same bed with my boyfriend everynight.

For three months we shared a twin bed! It took some time to become accustomed to that. But now we share a queen sized bed and it's fine.

Samhain, I can't imagine not sleeping in the same bed with my significant other. Seems so unnatural to me. But to each their own!

15. SlickyPants

SlickyPants Member

When I was much younger I slept in the same bed with a friend at a sleepover. We were kind of more than just friends though. It was quite a while ago so I don't remember the details but nothing major ever happened. Just a lot of cuddling.

Last year after a night of drinking, my friend and I crashed at on a buddy's futon. To be honest we didn't really didn't care, we just wanted some place to lay down and sleep. One of the guys jokingly said, "well Ian, there's nowhere else to sleep so I guess you'll have to snuggle up with John." There wasn't any snuggling and I'm glad there wasn't because it probably would have made our friendship awkward. We've both since fallen asleep on a couch together a few times. I hadn't yet come out to him at that time. Since I've come out we've laid together on his bed and watched TV and everything was comfortable between us. I'm glad he is still comfortable about having a close friendship without it becoming wierd.

As for sleeping with any future partners in the same bed, I think I'd be fine with it. The one other time I did, he had his back to me so I don't know what it'd be like to have someone breathing on me. I can totally understand where you're coming from though if you're just not able to fall asleep with someone else in your space and I wouldn't let it ruin a relationship. I'm sure we could cuddle a bit before sleep-time and then head off to my own bed when he wants to sleep. It's a compromise I'm willing to make but I'd love to actually sleep in the same bed otherwise.

Oh, and my friend named John is not actually named John. I'm sure he or anybody else we know will ever read this but I just don't like naming other people by name on the Internet even if it is on a first name basis. My name, however, is actually Ian.

16. *Andy*

*Andy* Senior Member

When I was I kid I used to top and tail with friends and bath with friends and stuff...but I'm talking about when I was 6. Beyond that...Nothing really comes to mind on the topic of sharing beds with friends

17. CrazybutLazy

CrazybutLazy Banned

My friends and I always share a bed when we go camping (we've got a trailer down there). Nobody has a problem with it. Even the one that knows I'm gay doesn't act like anything weird is going on.

18. GuruLite

GuruLite Member

My ex and I had to share a twin bed in my dorm room last semester. Never quite got used to it.

I'm not much of a sleeper anyway...let alone a bed sleeper.

19. txbarefooter

txbarefooter Senior Member

top and tail ?? never heard that before, thinking leap frog ?

20. becool69

becool69 Member

seeing as how my house is usually the hang out, bedspace can be limited sometimes. ive never had friends str8 or gay who had a second thought about sleeping in the same bed with me... woke up in some awkward positions at times.. or had some who just used the excuse of a full floor or couch to get the bed to be able to talk about problems. at times even "heaven forbid" just to fool around .... but when i have a steady. no one in the bed but him..