Sh!thole Nations

Discussion in 'Politics' started by GeorgeJetStoned, Jan 12, 2018.

1. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

lol

2. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

I wonder how true that actually is. Consider how things might be today if nobody knew it happened. Seriously, if people aren't taught to hate, will they hate? Today we seem to be surrounded by people who know exactly what slavery in the US was like, as if it only ended 3 weeks ago. Why is that? Not only are all the slaves and slavers dead and gone, so are the klan lynch mobs and their victims.

So again, who is left to blame? Where will the pound of payback flesh come from?

3. GeorgeJetStoned

More wagon circling? Tsk tsk

4. GeorgeJetStoned

Which is why I don't say "all".

5. GeorgeJetStoned

So what use is all of this? It seems we all have known our share of assholes, lord knows I have. And from what I have seen they come in all colors. So what's the point?

Also, I don't think as a species we have evolved much at all. We're still navigating like with brains made for living in the wild. Which is probably why we keep making the same mistakes. As I see it, hate is hate. So trying to tell me that some people have somehow earned a right or whatever to hate people just because of their race, does not seem like forward thinking.

6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Why is that? Why do we learn history, is that what you're asking?

I love history so I hope that's not what you're asking

And the whole point being made here is that historical events have long term ramifications. My mom was in high school when schools were first desegregated in the south. Which is maybe why I understand that we are not so detached from our past. Jim Crow laws of course would have been in place whether or not my mom was taught about slavery in school or not. But learning history helps us understand, or should help us understand, why certain things are the way they are. It helps us make connections. And being aware is the only real way to bring about change

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    tumbling.dice and Okiefreak like this.
  7. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Far be it from me ever to say that anyone has earned a right to hate people. The points are that racism is a reality, that it's important in political life, that it's important to recognize and acknowledge it, and that we need to resist and fight against it. It's all too human to fear and distrust the other, but I think we've made real progress even in my short lifetime in overcoming it. The courts and the civil rights laws have made a big difference. But the danger of backlash and backsliding is very real. To deny or minimize it increases the danger. We haven't seen open racism like this since the early sixties, and haven't heard it articulated from the White House since Woodrow Wilson.

8. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I see.
    Well I really wish you would be more specific as your use of the plural can be very misleading as it pertains to more than one and possible all.
    Especially in the context in which you used it:

9. GeorgeJetStoned

I try to avoid absolutes, especially when I'm hammered. I probably should have said "most" progressives, a term I don't care for since so little of what I have seen of them actually makes any real progress. Even the "feelings" they want spared only seem to give way to a nearly constant droning of discontentment and an eagerness to find fault in others. Especially when they can claim to be "offended", as if there was some kind of right to NOT be offended.

I think Buttercup says it far better than snowflake.

10. MeAgain

So now it's most.

11. GeorgeJetStoned

I understand your take on this. However, I don't think we can possibly backslide to the 50s or 60s. That would take a substantial shift that simply isn't there. Unless, of course, you're apt to see "all" Americans as potential racists just waiting for their golden opportunity. I can see how it might seem like that in the age of "microaggressions" and "cultural appropriation" where excuses to hate people are whisked out of thin air over trite aspects of life like hoop earrings and the horrors of non-Mexican people having the gall to make tacos.

Really though, if we already all these armies of racists mucking about, doesn't it seem like we'd already be living in a nation where nobody dared to criticize it?

12. GeorgeJetStoned

Yea, I'll abide by most. Keep in mind that I can only mean most of the ones I have encountered or seen in the media. Same as republicans, libertarians, Antifa and rotarians.

13. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

That makes no sense. We've made a lot of progress in combating racism, but it's still out there and we have a President who's feeding into it. There's a real danger of backsliding.

MeAgain likes this.
  14. MeAgain

We have already lost ground under Trump and his enablers.

Attacks against Muslim, South Asian, Sikh, Hindu, Arab, and Middle Eastern communities in the US were up a staggering 45 percent in 2017. (Jan 18, 2018)
    ...and so on.

15. Mamluke13

Mamluke13 Members

What country is that

16. Mamluke13

Mamluke13 Members

U been to Haiti how was it

17. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

[​IMG]

And this is why I'm against globalisation!

GeorgeJetStoned likes this.
  18. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

That should be r0llin's new av

19. GeorgeJetStoned

Tense and crime ridden. Tools, food and safety vests simply vanished from the worksite.

20. Mamluke13

Mamluke13 Members

So its not a good place to visit. Do they have places in Haiti that r not like that