SF Sorrow by the Pretty Things -

Discussion in 'Music' started by Penny, May 11, 2004.

1. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

What does everyone think about that album/band? SF Sorrow is the only album by the band I own, but I think it is absolutely amazing... it's one the best psychedelic albums I've heard by now, and I think I heard all of the important ones + a ton of the minor ones... Anyways, that album is a materpiece, a work of art to me.

My favorite songs on it are:
    - SF Sorrow Is Born
    - Bracelets Of Fingers
    - Private Sorrow
    - Baron Saturday
    - Trust
    - Defecting Grey (it's a bonus track though but that song is just too great, I love the part with the sitar which is played backwards with all the effects etc.)

2. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Great album!

3. wiufcaoltp

wiufcaoltp Welcome To The Interzone

Yeah, I really like it. This was the first "rock-opera", before Tommy. It's one of my favorite psychedelic albums, for sure, and one of the most over-looked. I always thought that Private Sorrow, the song, sounded a bit like Jethro Tull.

4. boog

boog A square peg

aye i must agree its most wonderfull. got a couple of Pretty Things cd's but SF Sorrow is by far the best

5. sonik

sonik Member

Great ammazzing album.

THough when it comes to the pretty things, nothing tops their early Beat Boom stuff IMO.

Absoultley top notch.

:cool:

6. Skelter

Skelter Helter

nice album, it has some really great songs ('private sorrow', 'trust', the bonus track 'walking through my dreams') but i've heard better psychedelic albums.

7. KaleidoscopeEyes

KaleidoscopeEyes Member

I can't say I was completely crazy about this album, but I really like some of the songs, like "I see you". I like their album Emotions better; there are some great songs in there like "The Sun", "Tripping" and "Children". Has anyone heard that one?

8. WatchinUfromtheBridg

WatchinUfromtheBridg Member

i own this album since 2years now , and i discovered the pretties with the mid-67 "emotions" LP ("My time" first seconds waooowww)...And their lbel Fontana over-produced this album without the aggrement of the Phil May's band...
    For SF Sorrow it sounds totally liberated...the band this time decide 100 % were they wanted to go ...And i don't understand why there s not a double LP....with great bonus tracks and a great single (defecting grey) it makes 18 tracks if i include "Reincarnation" who were originally programmed to follow "Well of Destiny" (if i remember well)...the album was already to long even without the song...this is the reason why...And the bonus tracks don't melted good with the conceptual story...whatever all the songs are there (xpt resurrection)
    Enjoy this Pearl who mark with Beggars Banquet and the White Album the last breathe of the swinging london (beg.65 to end68)...
    Personnaly i reccomend to everyone ...their Parachutes LP from mid-1970 and their last pick just before bassist-songwriter Waller leave the band ...I find this album even better than SF Sorrow ...it s a little more pop(influenced by Abbey Road)...but still a little conceptual and the frontsleeve(one of the most psychedelic) tell all'bout what came out of "Parachutes"...
    And Parachutes was elected album of the year 1970 by the Rolling Stone Magazine... :eek: no less
    Check out if you can their last 70's LP "Savage Eye" released in 75 ...if it's not a giant record it offer some great moments :cool:

9. hiddendoor

hiddendoor Member

easily one of the top 5 60's British psychedelic albums

10. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

"easily one of the top 5 60's British psychedelic albums"

were you serious? the album isn't that great.

11. Skelter

Skelter Helter

yeah it has dated it a lot

12. hiddendoor

hiddendoor Member

100% serious

13. hiddendoor

hiddendoor Member

no more or less than many of the 60's psych titles we listen to

14. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Vegetable Man

I think it's an excellent album. There are better psychedelic albums, sure, but SF Sorrow is still grade-A work.

Heh, I've always felt the same way.

15. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

"She Says Good Morning" is a shitty song, imo it brings the rest of the album way down.