Sex Offenders Lists

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by YankNBurn, Jun 6, 2006.

1. LuckyStripe

LuckyStripe Mundane.

Okay one last thought. This is to Libertine. I understand your points and I'm thinking maybe they should correct the system. I'm not interested if someone pissed in public or if a 20 year old had sex with a 17 year old, etc.-
    HOWEVER, if I had children I'd want to know if my next door neighbor was arrested for molesting like kids. That way I could move or watch them more.

I'd also want to know if a rapist lived on my streets.

Maybe they should discriminate a bit about just who they put on those lists. Actually they should.

However, my points above stand.

I don't care about non violent drug offenders or someone who used to shop lift when they were 18. Sorry.

2. Libertine

Libertine Guru of Hedonopia

I noticed you cherry-picked one item and created a straw man to avoid the issue.

Ever heard of a drive-by? Don't think dealers are dangerous?

Rather register a "statutory rapist" than a kidnapper?

3. Libertine

The whole point is that "sex offenders" are not the only criminals that are threats to society. As a matter of fact, some "sex offenders" are not threats to society at all, but are victims of bad laws or a single stupid act that they never repeated again. So, WHY are THEY the only ones singled-out to have their photo, address and information online while many violent threats to society serve their time and get out and never worry about someone noticing them.

I think murder, kidnapping, drug dealers (not misdemeanor offenses, people) and all felons should either have a registry OR they should do away with the sex registry. ALL OR NOTHING.

The only reason America discriminates against sex crimes is because they are more concerned with the "sex" part and not so much with the "crime" part.

4. indescribability

indescribability Not To Be Continued

Ummmmm there is a bad checks registry, actually. There is also a thiefs registry in counties around me. I know because I was on it for 2 years. The state of ohio makes people with a DUI drive with a special colored license plate for 1 or 2 years after the DUI.

Most of these things can be found by looking into somebodies criminal history. If you know their name and age you can look up anybody in the country in a registry of felons.

Do you have a 12 year old daughter? I'm guessing not.

Edit:
    They do have a registry of felons. Trust me, I know enough people that are on it.

5. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

Would be nice if they would not have to release people who for strong reasons not whims were deemed likely to ro-offend on crimes that held major impact on others.

I think my concern on the whole sex offender issue is I would like to know about violent offenders that were believed to likely commit again, and also offenders who did acts against children and again thought that they may re-offend. I dont mean 12 year old that played doctor with his younger sister and they waited till he was old enough to try him as an adult instead of a minor or other odd bs cases I mean the cut and dry some 18yo+ that took advantage of a minor under teenage child.

If a person is deemed a drug dealer that may be involved in a situation that guns will be used I think I would like to know, safety and all.

As for the statutory rape of the 18 yr old doing some 15yr old, too bad, needs to be looked at alot closer, I mean anyone at that age is old enough to be smart unless diagnossed as being mental or something.

6. andcrs2

andcrs2 Senior Member

+1

The current poster child (aka Internet Predator) crap is just more of the same...

Yes my one of my children is female so there's no need to go there.

7. indescribability

8. andcrs2

andcrs2 Senior Member

So this 'problem' is a direct result of today's Internet?
    It did not exist before?

Don't know bout you but I find it refreshing to learn something new every day...

9. indescribability

No but it takes the problem to a whole new level, over all. It makes children more easily accessible to these perverts. It makes it easier for children to be deceived by the predator. It's a bad deal all around.

10. andcrs2

andcrs2 Senior Member

Agreed however a similar case can be made
    today's v. yesteryear's
    drug related crime.

11. LuckyStripe

LuckyStripe Mundane.

I don't know. Then you'd have to determine what kind of drug dealer or thief too. Like I said, I'm not interested in knowing if my neighbor once stole a cd. As for drug dealers, I'm not interested to know if someone got in trouble for selling weed to their friends. There are violent drug dealers that get caught with guns or killing people over drugs, and there are non violent drug dealers also and I'm not concerned with them.

So, yeah maybe a registry of VIOLENT crimes, which sex crimes would fit into because rape and molestation are both violent acts. Like I said before, I'm also not interested in knowing who ALL sex offenders are- statitory rape is one example.

Anyways, forget it, indescrib. is right, there is a registry availible for them all so you really have no arguement, do you? :)

12. Libertine

Then, we agree.

Of course I do. Where I live there is no "Violent Felon Registry". Sure, anyone can pay $39.95 to do a background check, but the "Sex Registry" is a registry based more on the separation of sex crimes from other crimes.

As if "masturbation for hire" is worse than murder. :rolleyes:

13. indescribability

http://www.in.gov/serv/indcorrection_ofs There's the site for Indiana. I guarantee most states have something similar. Look up your state name plus the term department of corrections. And it doesn't cost forty bucks.

14. Libertine

WHAT? How can you even compare the two?

A SEX OFFENDER REGISTRY and the Department of Corrections "Offender Base" are two completely different entities.

One follows a guy around forever, every year, spilling out more information than just his background conviction date, etc. The other is just a simplification of the conviction charge.

They are not even to remotely close to being the same thing. :rolleyes:

15. indescribability

One requires knowing the name of your neighbor. That still provides you all the information you desire to know about an individuals criminal history, whether it's sex, violent, drugs, theft, or a combination of all of the above. How you can say they don't compare is beyond me if you know the name of the people that are arround you, and that's not hard to find out.

16. Libertine

So, if I am moving into a new neighborhood or someone new is moving 3 football fields away from me, what am I supposed to track everyone down and ask their name? Please.

If you lived where I live, you couldn't keep up with all these people to know if they are a murderer or kidnapper, but with the "molestor map", it's a convenient to look around your neighborhood (without asking names) and find spot 1, 2 and 3 where a sex offender lives.

How you can compare that with the "Correctional Database" is beyond ME!

It's kind of fucking obvious the DRASTIC difference.

But, IF YOU SEE IT THAT WAY, then I say do away with the Sex Registry. It's useless if you have the Correctional Offender's Database thing. All you need is a name, right?

17. andcrs2

andcrs2 Senior Member

Down here the local tv stations/ newspapers primarily concern themselves w/the sexual aspect.

Obviously sex sells better than violence...

18. Libertine

America demonizes it more.

19. indescribability

You know how I equate them? It's pretty simple. Most violent criminals aren't labeled predators. Rapists and molestors are. You know why? They seek out their prey. A murderer usually has a specific target and a specific reason. Not looking for somebody who fits a profile to off. A drug dealer who's convicted of a violent crime is usually attacking somebody who owes him money or tried to fuck him. A rapist though walks through the park and down the road trying to spot a convenient victim, and while it can be argued that thieves do the same, their goal is generally not physical harm. In fact they usually go to lengths to avoid it. It increases police involvement, carries extra charges and gets in the way of getting merchandise as quickly as possible.

Sorry, but with the exception of statutory cases rapists and molestors are a bigger threat to a community than anybody else, in my opinion.

20. andcrs2

andcrs2 Senior Member

Yall must have different breeds of criminals up there.
    Fact is you can reverse your labels/ descriptions and it'd pretty much describe the current environment here...

Like it or not/ argue til you're blue in the face,
    that's the way things are here... and here is my primary concern.